Keto with little time during season

freshta

WKR
Man I’m having a tough time with the keto diet during the hunting season. Between work, scouting and hunting, I never have time for meal prep. What are some of you peeps doing to stay in ketosis with little to no time to plan and prep?

Going on a limb here but I doubt anyone you talk with about keto is actually doing keto. sub 20g carbs per day with stress on your body is a fast track to a destroyed body. Now low carb... that’s another story.

are you monitoring keytone levels in your blood? What your avg mmol fasted and non fasted?

what’s the re-feed carb your numbers say you tolerate best?

easiest way is to figure out how often you need to eat based on what tomorrow will bring. Then when you’ll have time. And then what’s near by. Can you swing by a grocery store ? Or do you think keto is eating bacon and peanut butter lol.

If your fat adapted, then carb up before you go, and go keto during hunt. Do not go keto while training for a hunt. cyclical keto sis is awesome and easily maintained. It’s arguably what we are designed for.

Going on a limb here but I doubt anyone you talk with about keto is actually doing keto. sub 20g carbs per day with stress on your body is a fast track to a destroyed body. Now low carb... that’s another story.

are you monitoring keytone levels in your blood? What your avg mmol fasted and non fasted?

what’s the re-feed carb your numbers say you tolerate best?

easiest way is to figure out how often you need to eat based on what tomorrow will bring. Then when you’ll have time. And then what’s near by. Can you swing by a grocery store ? Or do you think keto is eating bacon and peanut butter lol.
:ROFLMAO:

That may be true, but it certainly isn't true in my wife's case.

Don't mess with a biology and chemistry teacher that takes on keto. She might be the best looking 52 year-old you've laid eyes on. ;)

I respectfully disagree with the opinions of the guys saying not to do it. I trained keto all summer and then I did 10 days on a wilderness trip and came out feeling awesome. I did prep and packing in my own smoked salmon snacks, lamb meat sticks, and beef meat sticks (like slim jims), and dehydrated venison and pork. Some of my favs below from that trip. I like to mix in tuna+oil with the MJ eggs.

*Eggs and cheese https://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/Egg-Cheese-Scramble
*Tuna https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HQ6T4QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*Olives https://smile.amazon.com/Trader-Joe...ords=trader+joes+olives&qid=1572707095&sr=8-2
*Ghee https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMFMNKG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*MCT https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076N6XLQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*Salt https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TRPCRH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*Protein mix https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAONLEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My opinion is that strict keto doesn’t belong in the backcountry. I think you preform better with some carbs in you. But that’s just my opinion

OP
F

freshta

WKR
My day to day keto is suffering because it seems I don’t have time to hunt and work, etc. In the off season it’s easy.

My opinion is that strict keto doesn’t belong in the backcountry.
I think you have a valid and respectable opinion.

My opinions are very qualified for myself. I don't eat a "keto" diet for weight or fat loss reasons. In fact I eat more of a carnivore diet with some flare thrown in. But I have a very flexible metabolism and having been on a low-carb high-fat diet for a few years. I have found that there are no performance declines [for me] as an endurance athlete. I prefer to eat low-carb high-fat because I can eat less and my energy and satiation are much more even keeled. I no longer have joint and inflammation issues that plagued me through my thirties, and I don't have to recover after grueling backcountry trips. I even loose less weight during the mountain season than I did 10 years ago when I ate high carb pack food.

@freshta Why are you on the "keto diet"? I guess I don't understand why it's hard to [not] eat low-carb food when things get busy. Does your dietary life include fasting or restricted time feeding windows? I find that if there's "nothing for me to eat" that I'm fine just not eating. I can catch up later since I'm not relying on carbohydrate glucose sources to fuel me through the day.

*zap*

WKR
I am doing Ok since starting high protein, high fat and lower carbs....not low carbs like 20 g a day but probably 50....all high quality natural food. Loosing body fat and energy level is good, feel great.

Nuts, but butters, tuna packets, sardines. Easy grab and go type stuff. Gas stations are getting better with their offerings. Like meat and cheese packets, One bars, sugar free jerky or bolting. I compromise on eating healthy and hold the line on eating to not get fat when I get crazy busy. I certainly don’t give a shit about the original definition of “keto”. I don’t if people think that it’s a black and white thing that either works or doesn’t work, or if they just want to prove that they know something better than the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuts, but butters, tuna packets, sardines. Easy grab and go type stuff. Gas stations are getting better with their offerings. Like meat and cheese packets, One bars, sugar free jerky or bolting. I compromise on eating healthy and hold the line on eating to not get fat when I get crazy busy. I certainly don’t give a shit about the original definition of “keto”. I don’t if people think that it’s a black and white thing that either works or doesn’t work, or if they just want to prove that they know something better than the rest of us.

So that’s the same as you giving opinions on black powder when you’ve only used a 30-06 and when challenged you say, tactics don’t matter a gun is a gun.

Keto can really mess someone up. Just because a ton of “pros” use that term, it’s not actually keto. You can easily destroy your thyroid, throw off hormones, and have real issues. So I do think it’s important to understand the differences.

Most on here are just doing low carb. And that’s just fine. The best approach is to cut all carbs for 3-5 days while NOT training. Then slowly introduce different carbs each day all under 50grams. See how your blood sugar changes, then once you know the foods your body does well with, start adjusting your carb level based on activity. YOU WILL BE IN KETOSIS. Once your body is used to going in and out of ketosis properly, you can do short periods of low to 0 carbs without any negative effects. But this should be temporary. You should be going in and out throughout the day.

Robb wolf is probably the best resource for this. I used his meal plan for my last elk hunt and it was a great success.

So that’s the same as you giving opinions on black powder when you’ve only used a 30-06 and when challenged you say, tactics don’t matter a gun is a gun.

Keto can really mess someone up. Just because a ton of “pros” use that term, it’s not actually keto. You can easily destroy your thyroid, throw off hormones, and have real issues. So I do think it’s important to understand the differences.

Most on here are just doing low carb. And that’s just fine. The best approach is to cut all carbs for 3-5 days while NOT training. Then slowly introduce different carbs each day all under 50grams. See how your blood sugar changes, then once you know the foods your body does well with, start adjusting your carb level based on activity. YOU WILL BE IN KETOSIS. Once your body is used to going in and out of ketosis properly, you can do short periods of low to 0 carbs without any negative effects. But this should be temporary. You should be going in and out throughout the day.

Robb wolf is probably the best resource for this. I used his meal plan for my last elk hunt and it was a great success.

I don’t believe that there is a certain blood sugar level that your body flips a switch and all at once stats running off fat. I don’t have any education on it, or data to back it up, but that’s not the way our bodies usually work. It seems to me that ketosis is just a term that someone came up with to defines certain blood sugar level. I know that if I eat 60 grams of carbs one day instead of 30, or whatever the magic number is. I’m not going to be low on energy because it’s not enough carbs to fuel me with glucose, yet it’s too much to be in ketosis and my body refuses to use fat as energy. That’s the way it’s often talked about, but it’s not what I’ve experienced in my life.

*zap*

WKR
I would say that finding the correct nutrition plan for yourself is a challenge. A good start is no processed foods. A pretty strict no processed food diet will get almost anyone to low teens for body fat % without much macro management. Getting lower than that and feeling good all the time will require tweaking things but it is a process. If you have the normal diet that most people have today dumping processed foods gradually is a great start. One step at a time slowly work into a lower carb and low sugar natural food diet that you can easily sustain.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I can't see why being in ketosis in the backcountry would be an issue. I've been on it for almost 3 years (real ketosis), it was a game changer for my GI tract...mainly heartburn and I ate pretty clean beforehand. Once your fat adapted, I don't see why you would need carbs. Keep hydrated and your electrolytes up, should be good to go. To my understanding, the ketogenic diet is pretty safe unless your T1 diabetic...maybe there's some other rare malady that it might not be good for. Sure if you only eat bacon, butter and steak to hit nutritional ketosis, you'll probably have issues at some point. It's pretty easy to mix in a lot of nutrient dense veggies and berries and maintain ketosis and get an array of necessary micro nutrients and fiber.

Look at calorie dense foods. Nuts are awesome. I pack pecans, macadamia nuts and cacoa butter when I hunt. About a half of quart ziplock bag of those three is about 2000 calories (~ 1 cup pecans, ~1 cup macs and 40ish grams of cacoa butter).

Sardines, herring, salmon and smoked oysters in olive oil is another good option. I also like coconut butter and coconut milk (the full fat stuff in the can). Cream cheese is another winner. Don't get me started about how good mascarpone cheese is.

Check out Terrasoul Superfoods Cacoa Butter and Nutiva Coconut Butter on Amazon.

You can also always throw together a quick salad. A couple of handfuls of spinach/kale, a few cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, avocado, hard boiled egg, whatever cheese you like, some nuts and soak it with olive oil and some vinegar.