Ketogenic meal plans - What do you do in the backcountry?

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I've been doing a modified Keto for about a year and a half or so. I've been contemplating adding some carbs in for 1 meal on my hunts this year. Kind of carb cycling I guess. Opinions?

I've been doing a modified Keto for about a year and a half or so. I've been contemplating adding some carbs in for 1 meal on my hunts this year. Kind of carb cycling I guess. Opinions?

What would be the benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what modified keto is. I would try it at home first to see how your body handles it. What is your point in the carb meal?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Staff member
People eating low carb in the backcountry are rarely doing it for weight loss reasons. Do some reading on the matter. There are lots of benefits to swapping carbs for fat on long backpack hunts.
Weight loss in my pack from carrying less food weight is my main reason. The mental clarity is a bonus too.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping I could double dip, so to speak. And enjoy the benefits of instant use Carb energy, as well as Keto benefits. I am aware it would boot me out of ketosis, maybe. A modified keto diet is basically a more liberal diet with carbs and protein, but still keeping fat at the core. I keep my carbs very low but consume more protein than a conventional keto diet of 75% fat, 20% protein and only 5% carbs.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was hoping I could double dip, so to speak. And enjoy the benefits of instant use Carb energy, as well as Keto benefits. I am aware it would boot me out of ketosis, maybe. A modified keto diet is basically a more liberal diet with carbs and protein, but still keeping fat at the core. I keep my carbs very low but consume more protein than a conventional keto diet of 75% fat, 20% protein and only 5% carbs.
Even if it knocks you out, with the energy expenditure you'll be back in the next day easy.

Do you check ketones to verify you're still in keto on you modified version?

In my opinion, being in or out of ketosis is for the scientists. They’ve drawn a line, and say “this is in and that is out”. Our bodies don’t work that way. I can understand the interest in being fat adapted and using carbs as a performance enhancer, much like Zach Bitter does for ultramarathons. However I’d question whether you can keep up the benefits on a 7 day hunt, to out weigh the negatives (inflammation, hunger, energy crashes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I don't check ketones with any regularity anymore. I go based upon feel, I know that is not an accurate measurement. Good point on the inflammation. But I'm not convinced one Carb laden meal would increase inflammation.

I know that some amount of Carbohydrates provide me with more energy for weight lifting than strict Keto. I had a lot less strength when I was following the traditional Keto macros. The increase in Protein and some carbs, I believe, allows me more functional strength.