Kettlebell

Anyone do kettlebell training to condition? What workouts do you like most for training for the mountain?

I combine Escalating Density Training with kettlebell complexes
Currently I'm training with kettlebells 4 days a week, 2 days heavy and 2 days moderate
Day 1 - Goerner's Chain 20kg > 40kg
Day 2 - Dbl clean squat press - 20min PR Zone 32kgs
Day 3 - Heavy dbl presses and cleans I work up to the heaviest bells I can press for that session. I clean and press singles to temporary failure. I finish up with cleans with heaviest bells I can maintain good form with
Day 4 - Dan John's Armor Builder complex 36kgs x 20min PR Zone

I do 100 single hand swings and Turkish get ups everyday - weight varies

P.S. In between day 2 and 3 I have a trap bar deadlift day based on Wendler's 5/3/1 with heavy KB floor presses and heavy rows.
With the kettlebell training I also do weighted pull ups, inverted rows, dips and suspension push ups.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use one quite a bit, I keep a 32kg at work and every day no matter what I do 100-150 one hand swings in sets of 10 or 15, some Turkish getups, usually 16 (8 on each side) followed by nobler squats usually 3x10 then I do sets of push ups and pull-ups, usually a 45 minute session. Follow it up with a freezing cold shower and it ends up being a solid session.

ortho004

FNG
I’ll second coach Chris above- routinely doing Turkish getups and swings will definitely help build a stronger core. Like he mentions, I do those alongside other programming I’m doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a great single kettlebell workout on Youtube called the "Power 5".

Check that one out. It's fully scaleable and you can record progression easily. Good quick workout when you are short on time or when you wake up in the morning and need that quick fix. lol

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
Get Pavel's Simple/Sinister book. For such a simple workout, it has worked well for me and many other folks. it really does make you "farmer strong". turkish getups and swings. When I am doing these workouts a lot, my back has very little issues with a lot of heavy-pack guiding. when I have not been doing a core-intensive workout like this, I can't sleep due to back pain during/after a backpack hunt.

I do lots of kb swings, Turkish get up, kB deadlifts, kB snatches. Kettlebells are my fav!

work765

WKR
Currently I'm training with kettlebells 4 days a week, 2 days heavy and 2 days moderate
Day 3 - Heavy dbl presses and cleans I work up to the heaviest bells I can press for that session. I clean and press singles to temporary failure. I finish up with cleans with heaviest bells I can maintain good form with

P.S. In between day 2 and 3 I have a trap bar deadlift day based on Wendler's 5/3/1 with heavy KB floor presses and heavy rows.
With the kettlebell training I also do weighted pull ups, inverted rows, dips and suspension push ups.

You don’t feel it’s necessary to do any type of back squats or front squats? Isolating the legs?

You don’t feel it’s necessary to do any type of back squats or front squats? Isolating the legs?

Day 2 and 4 are both kettlebell front squat workouts. Swings, snatches and cleans are all hip hinges. Turkish get ups have bridges and lunges in them. I trap bar deadlift once a week.
I don't do anything in isolation except neck work.

work765

WKR

For the 100 swings and Turkish gets up. You do those after your main heavy stuff? And do 50 Turkish get ups per side, everyday?

I
For the 100 swings and Turkish gets up. You do those after your main heavy stuff? And do 50 Turkish get ups per side, everyday?

I do the swings and get ups as a warm up before my main lifts.
Get ups I normally do 5 per side with bells lighter than 36kg and 3 per side with bells 36kg or heavier. Sometimes I will do 1 on each side with loads 48kg and up.

TannerS

FNG
When I was getting into KB’s, I found Onnit’s 6-week program to be a great program that transitions well and includes mobility. It’s regularly on sale for 1/2 price, around $25 on sale.

Otherwise, there are some good YouTube videos. Kettlebell Kings sends out regular email workouts for free if you sign up.