Kettlebells?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Anyone here a kettlebell guru?
Are they really better than regular dumbells?

Trying to incorporate into my training program.

Anyone here a kettlebell guru?
Are they really better than regular dumbells?

Trying to incorporate into my training program.

I am no guru but use a basic KB workout as part of my training for mountain hunting.

I do a circuit of 20 swings, 10 goblet squats, 10 deadlift to upright row in a single motion, 10 over head press each side, 10 bent row each side and 10 chest press laying on the floor. I do this for 3 sets. I then do single arm farmers carries for 120 yards and then switch arms also 3 sets. Total time about 20-30 minutes. It kicks my ass.

I do this 3x a week then I do 3x a week with about 40lbs in my pack for 2-4 miles also 3x a week. I will throw in 1x a week step ups for 15 minutes with the pack on. As well as stretching/yoga and planks.

This got me in good enough shape to hunt Colorado doing 6-8 miles a day with 1000 ft vertical climb from base camp to the bottom of the drainage and up the other side. The 1000 feet was only 1/3 mile straight line but was so steep had to side hill about 1/2 mile.

I was 53 and a widow maker heart attack survivor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m not a guru but I’ve had great luck with the simple and sinister program in the past. I need to get back on that but basically it’s 100 one hand swings, 10 Turkish getups and some goblet squats.

I found when I did that every morning before work it really did a lot for me. Over time I ended up modifying it to something like.

-100 one hand swings (10x10) with 30-45 seconds between sets, tiger good recovery so you can do another perfect set.
-10 Turkish get ups.
-3x10 goblet squats
-3x10-20 push-ups
-3x20 walking lunges

And that would be a good 40-50 minute workout.

I use a 53lb kettlebell for this, I used a 70lb bell in the past but can’t seem to get one shipped up here currently.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
Kettlebells are good to have.....4kg or more is good to carry in your hand when hiking/packing for training. Lots of other uses.

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Highly recommend kettlebells. I have #8-#150. You can virtually do any movement with them. My favorite workout is death by kettlebell swings, 10x swings all the way up and 10x back down.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Big fan! Get on strong first and get reading, mountain athlete threads are great. Very simple to get started and has huge benefits into the rotation

Seeknelk

WKR
Not a guru by any stretch of the imagination but I highly recommend kettlebells and getting Pavels book, simple.and sinister.
I use barbell and dumbbell more but swings and Turkish get ups are incredible, just take the time to get coached , either online or in person.
The swing can hurt your back or pop a ribif you do it wrong and soooooo many people do them wrong.
Double kettlebell clean , front squat and press is a caveman move for raw strength!

I have been using kettlebells exclusively for about two years now. I do about four or five basic movements with them, most workouts are around the 30 minute mark. I would also recommend getting some coaching to keep from jacking yourself up.

Anye425

FNG
No guru, but my husband and I keep kettlebells in the mix cause they definitely add a nice change and challenge

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions, I was just going to look to incorporate Kettlebells into my routine.

Logestagg

FNG
Yes to kettlebells!!!

I started usings kbs a little over 10 years ago and its now the #1 item I'd choose to use forever. They make me a more stable and balanced strong. I've never had any significant Injury or severe soreness that prevented me from working out from kbs. Plenty of workouts result in laying in a puddle trying to catch your breathe. Compare that to lots of tweaked backs and hips doing deadlifts and squats over the last 20 years. I can quickly work my way into debilitating soreness (doms) with barbell and dumbells and thats not really an issue with the kbs which is great because you can really get after it in a workout.

I taught myself with self filming and a mirror at home. Pavels video "enter the kettlebell" is great, although hard to take serious at first with all the Russian military staged items around him lol. The "strong first" YouTube page is good too.

Once you can do the movements well then jump into the Keith Weber Extreme Kettlebell Cardo series. Volume 1 and 2 only use a single kettlebell. I use a 35# kb for most of it. Volume 3 is all 2x kb movements and quite a step up in difficulty. On Keith's site there is a 6 week program for how to schedule the volume 2 workouts and I think it's phenomenal. I use it every January- February to rebuild and at the end of the 6 weeks I can put up a very high personal pr on bench while only having done the kb workouts. It's legit strength and conditioning but like I said the beauty is that I can push it hard In those workouts but not have debilitating soreness like I would using barbells and dumbells in a rebuild stage. At times the hardest part for me is sticking to and doing the complete warmup but it really helps with flexibility and not feeling tight and grumpy. I have the video files downloaded to my phone and computer so I can do it anywhere. Really helps to have the video to set and keep pace when working out at home alone.
I upgraded some of my CAP kbs to sorinex and really like those. Dragon door, Rep fitness, rogue, again faster, there are a lot of good ones out there. There used to be decent deals on Craigslist and marketplace before covid but when the gyms shut down that put an end to those.

🤘

Attachments

• Workout-Program-for-Extreme-1.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Workout-Program-for-Extreme-2.pdf
    70.4 KB · Views: 8
I use them as well check out pavel toustsine kettlebell workout on youtube guy knows his shit

Only if you use them. I bet there are more kettle bells acting as overqualified door stops than anything else.

I built s set back when onnit had free shipping. With a little knowledge (you tube and I took a few classes on technique from some Russian dude) and practice, they can be awesome.

FWIW - if you told me I could only have one piece of fitness equipment, it would be a 32# kettlebell.

Logestagg

FNG
Only if you use them. I bet there are more kettle bells acting as overqualified door stops than anything else.

I built s set back when onnit had free shipping. With a little knowledge (you tube and I took a few classes on technique from some Russian dude) and practice, they can be awesome.

FWIW - if you told me I could only have one piece of fitness equipment, it would be a 32# kettlebell.
I once did a drop in workout at a crossfit gym that was using their broken handle kettlebells as door stops. Pretty horrifying sight. Needless to say I wasn't standing in front of anyone doing swings at that gym.

NUBIG10

FNG
I think the main thing they have going for them is the handle location vs where the weight is. It would be hard to do 50 swings with a dumbell. The full body potential they have is great. I can blast a morning workout in 25mins with 1 35lb kettlebell and be pretty gassed.

KTK

FNG
Has anyone went though the mountain tough KB workout? I have been thinking about checking it out, but wasn't sure if it was worth the time and money.

Has anyone went though the mountain tough KB workout? I have been thinking about checking it out, but wasn't sure if it was worth the time and money.
Before spending money on a kettle belll workout you need to see Chandler Marchman's workouts. He is great!
In 2019 I used a basic KB workout combined with rucking 3-4x a week with a 40-60 pound pack 2-4 miles. I would also do a beginner yoga/stretching program and it got me a 53 yr old Windowmaker heart attack survivor into good enough shape for a Colorado DIY elk hunt. WE had one area that was 1000 ft. vertical drop in a 1/3 a mile with no trails just bushwhacking through 4-6 ft. ferns and the same up the other side of the drainage. I had a heart rate of 196bpm which was the highest it has been since the day I had the heart attack. We had bivy equipment incase we got into elk and carried about 30lbs 5-8 miles a day.

Last edited:

KTK

FNG
Before spending money on a kettle belll workout you need to see Chandler Marchman;s workouts. He is great!

In 2019 I used a basic KB workout combined with rucking 3-4x a week with a 40-60 pound pack 2-4 miles. I would also do a beginner yoga/stretching program and it got me 53 yr old Windowmaker heart attack survivor into good enough shape for a Colorado DIY elk hunt. WE had one area that was 1000 ft. vertical drop in a 1/3 a mile with no trails just bushwhacking through 4-6 ft. ferns and the same up the other side of the drainage. I had a heart rate of 196bpm which was the highest it has been since the day I had the heart attack. We had bivy equipment incase we got into elk and carried about 30lbs 5-8 miles a day.

Thanks, I’ll check his stuff out!

Before spending money on a kettle belll workout you need to see Chandler Marchman;s workouts. He is great!

In 2019 I used a basic KB workout combined with rucking 3-4x a week with a 40-60 pound pack 2-4 miles. I would also do a beginner yoga/stretching program and it got me 53 yr old Windowmaker heart attack survivor into good enough shape for a Colorado DIY elk hunt. WE had one area that was 1000 ft. vertical drop in a 1/3 a mile with no trails just bushwhacking through 4-6 ft. ferns and the same up the other side of the drainage. I had a heart rate of 196bpm which was the highest it has been since the day I had the heart attack. We had bivy equipment incase we got into elk and carried about 30lbs 5-8 miles a day.

As a 28 y/o, I love hearing stories of dudes kicking ass well into their fifties. Gives me hope and inspiration. Good on ya', you tough bastard.