Key Attributes of Successful Elk Hunters

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to know what you guys think are the key traits/commonalities of successful elk hunters. I’m talking about the guys who are filling tags year after year despite pressure or conditions. Pretty general question but I think it will be beneficial for the new guys getting ready for the season.

I will start by saying a positive attitude goes a long way in punching tag. It gets you up earlier and keeps you on the mountain day in day out.

It’d be cool to hear any other thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 mental toughness, if you let yourself get beat down mentally after blown stalks, no sign, ETC you’re not going to be successful
#2 physical toughness, you can make your body do a ton more than it wants by being mentally tough but you still need to be physically ready, if your body isn’t ready even with mental toughness you won’t make it
#3 knowledge, sure guys get lucky and walk out 20 min from the truck and harvest, but having knowledge of elk and their behaviors will make you more successful by knowing how they will react to situations. Learning elk behavior will work in your favor more times than being super physically fit. If you can see how they are reacting you can save yourself a lot of climbing.
#4 knowing your weapon and shooting limitations, practice practice practice and know your limits don’t take that 850 yard shot just because it’s a bit bull but you’ve only shot to 100 yards at the range. Know your weapon, know how you shoot, and stay within your limits!! I don’t know how many guys I have seen that have shot their gun out to 100 yards at the range then say well I got a dope card I printed off an app that says I can shoot out to 1100 yards.
#5 Luck, my opinion part of elk hunting is luck your in the right place at the right time, one hunter having a really lucky day and one elk having a really unlucky day....

danarnold

WKR
Never ever stop checking the wind and mid day breezes will screw you up 9 out o 10x's ,best time to nap and wait for constant evening thermals.

I thought I might nap...tagged out instead, right after noon.
dba158796ce1b0b4ac25d38e211e6e7a.jpg

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's a combination of knowledge and work ethic. You need to know what your doing, where to find elk, how to hunt them effectively. But you also need that mental and physical toughness that pushes you up the next ridge, allows you to hunt all day and not get discouraged when situations are not ideal.

I'm a firm believe that you create your own luck through the blood, sweat and tears of the hunt.

Knowing the difference between hunting and killing because there is a huge difference. Some people are good hunters and some of us are good killers. The really good, consistent, hunters are great killers not just great hunters. I’ve got buddies that are good hunters, they have all the gear, they know the animals, they know their gear, they’re good in the woods, but they lack that important killing skill set. Knowing when to be aggressive, when to hold back, and when and when not to get emotional because ultimately it’s not about hunting, it’s about killing.

If you want to kill elk every year you’ve got to learn how to kill not just how to hunt.

Last edited:

Jasper17

FNG
I agree with a lot of whats being said but would like to add that scouting a couple of weeks and just days before your hunt is also pretty helpful. Knowing where some hidden water or a good food source is, is also good.

ElkNut1

WKR
No doubt there are times & situations where a variety of factors can be the result of success or failure. There's also times in knowing your area, setting up properly, being persistent, wind direction, etc. But for me nothing can compete with calling to locate & kill elk every year on OTC elk hunts. Learning to call that makes sense to the elk at the right times is # 1.

What happens is some will read this & think they know how to make very good elk sounds but don't find that much success in doing it. There's a difference in being an elk caller (knowing how to make elk sounds) & being a caller of elk. Just look at everyone who can make elk sounds yet struggle with killing elk on a yearly basis!

ElkNut/Paul

Versatility in every aspect. Don't get hung up on a single tactic or call. Be able to change horses in the middle of the stream if that's what it takes. I think most 10%'ers can kill elk in just about any situation because they are NOT 1 dimensional. Sure there are a few that kill every year out of a tree, or spot n stalk as stated in other threads, but by and large, the 10%'ers can do it all at the drop of a dime.....

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Experience, drive/mental toughness and never give up attitude. Physical conditioning. Confidence which allows you to truly understand in 5 minutes it can happen even though it’s been tough. Things like knowing when to head to plan b,c,d which really come from time in the elk woods. Understanding what your saying when calling elk and for me it’s taken time to really be able to get a feel for a bulls attitude. After a while you just get a feel for where the elk want to be, not where you want them to be. It’s a combination of all these things. Above all else stay positive, it can really happen at any time. I’ve found most years even when I find them day 1 we really get dialed in on what the elk are to doing progressively more with each day. I can’t wait!

Last edited: