Kid day pack

adamm88

WKR
Im looking to get my son a hiking/hunting day pack for Christmas. He is turn 8 in march. Right now he carries one if my old camebak mule hydration pack sinched down the whole way and he can carrie snacks, gloves and a hat when we go out. Im looking for something a little bigger sized but i really dont want a school backpack either. Any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids use my Stone Glacier Avail. My son is on the smaller side. I called SG and asked if they had anything for him they said to send in his measurements and thy could make some shorter shoulder straps and a narrower waist belt. I am holding off on that right now, hopefully he has a growth spurt in the next couple of months. It is a pack that will last into his adulthood IMO.

pc3

WKR
My young bloke has one of those condor 3 day assault packs....eventually he will need a frame but right now he can carry his tripod, Hawke spotter, couple of layers and odds and ends for our digi scoping trips comfortably. It was initially big on him but he has shot up a bit now. Eventually he will probably need something with a better frame or more solid, but this bag will be always good for over night stays at mates places and packing your gear for day time truck trips etc.

Relatively cheap and often on special. A bag that he will have for a long while and can do many things other than just hunting etc.

Before everyone blasts me, I already know Kifaru is awesome. In the interest of options you may want to look at the eberlestock bandit. It’s a nice size for kids.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kifaru E&E for a smallish pack and a Kifaru Door Gunner for a small pack he could grow with.

My kids were using E&Es around that age too. Great packs and tough as nails of course. When they got a little bigger though, with heavier gear, more water to carry (no Rocky Mountain spring water here), and longer treks, we couldn’t find anything that would carry enough weight without becoming a shoulder hanger. And I got tired of the whining—“Would you carry my pack? It’s too heavy.”

68Plexi

WKR
Not hunting packs per se, but the Tarn series at REI are good kids hiking packs. Adjustable torso length so they won’t outgrow them too quick and reasonably priced. Day and multi day sizes.

Deuter Fox 40 kid pack, 2440 CI, adjustable yoke height, decent shoulder straps and belt, my son used his for several years and grew with the pack. Much more comfortable for the kid that a pack without stays or a frame.

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
My 10 year old used the Kuiu Stalker 500 with the additional accessory pocket on an archery elk hunt in CO this year. Got an extra layer, food, 10ish essentials and water easily. was even able to strap a small moose paddle on with the external straps.

It’s on 40% off sale now at Kuiu.