Kids Allergic to Dog, What should we do?

HoneyDew

WKR
I was tested as a young teenager for various grasses, molds, plants, and animals. Positive for 36/36. Cat result ballooned up on my forearm to the point where they made me wait another two hours at the doctors and had the epipen ready just in case. I ended up getting allergy shots in middle school and high school and it changed my life. Fast forward in life I now have indoor dogs but no cats and I can enjoy the great outdoors without my head exploding. While I don’t have any expertise on infant allergies but based on my experience I’d say start by ditching the carpets, washing the dog often (at least weekly), I don’t allow my dogs in my bedroom ever (sleeping area needs to be clean), vacuum regularly. Not sure if/when shots are appropriate for kids but they changed my quality of life on everything greatly. If the adjustments don’t make a dent and shots aren’t an option then I’d consider the dog situation. But it sounds like he’s worth the effort before jumping to that straight away.

If your dog got loose one day and was hit by a car, you would be extremely sad but you would get over it.

If the same thing happens to your child, you would never get over it, ever.

I will assume that you are not one of those that really equates a dog with a human. You love them but they are still a dog. And I will also assume that you dont really equate your dog to a brother of your son. Just a figure of speech. If those statements are not true, I can’t help you.

Assuming that is true, if the experts say get rid of the dog, you dang well better do it for the health of your son. But I haven’t heard anything that drastic yet.

Remember that saliva is allergic too. If “fun” for a kid to get licked by a dog, but that has to stop.

And right now, you should absolutely keep the dog out of your child’s bedroom. THat is very doable and there should be no debate. If it were me I would also limit the dog to certain parts of the house and absolutely teach him that he is not allowed on the furniture.

I am sure you have googled it and can reduce the allergens but find a good doctor and follow his/ her advice. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is this product. Might be worth a look: