Kids atv/quad suggestions

RS3579

WKR
I’m looking for a 50cc atv for my sons. Any manufacturers that are more reliable or unreliable. I’d like a used one to save money. I’m a little worried buying used might cost more in the long run. One with a throttle limit is a must. FYI I’m in the Pittsburgh PA area if you have one available. Thank you.

Polaris gets good reviews. Not sure if they make a 50 anymore or if it’s a 70 now. I couldn’t find one during Covid so picked up 50cc dirt bikes instead. Much safer imo. My cousin bought a kawi and Polaris 50cc atv. Both are fine for the size of kids intended. If you are decent with a wrench anything is fixable and easily maintained.

ATVs just make me nervous with children and rollovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our kids had a Polaris Outlaw 90. It had a throttle limiter screw to keep it down a notch. They are made in Korea for Polaris IIRC. Polaris backs them with service and parts. It was a fun quad on the back pasture.
Also agree that mini dirt bikes are way safer with little kids.
Had both of mine when youngsters on Honda 50‘s and then 2 stroke KTM 50’s

I bought my 4yo son a chinese 110cc four wheeler. There are about a dozen of them out there that are all close to the same thing.. Tao Tao, Apollo, etc. We had a dealer an hour or so from us. It has a throttle limiter screw, a key fob remote kill switch, and a tether on the back so you can have essentially a "leash" on it that will kill it if the kid gets too far away (we've never used that).

He rides the crap out of it and so far so good.

I have a few kids and started with a Suzuki 50 2 stroke. Worked well the carbs are a little finicky I think just because they are so small and a tiny amount of anything will cause issues. But we had it for like 5 years and only lost $100 when we sold it. We know have 2 Kymco 90s. They have been great. Kymco makes the 90 for Kawasaki. Very reliable and like the 4 stroke better. Haven't had issues getting general parts like air filters or a replacement tail light. Depending on their age I would look at the Kymco 70.

We also have a 2000 Yamaha PW80. Can get these for around $600 to $800 and probably won't lose much when you are done with it. Tons of parts out there if you need them. Only my 1 son rides it but all 3 kids ride the ATVs.

I’ve owned both. I’ve hurt myself much more on dirt bikes then any atv. Including three wheelers back in the day. I just don’t agree. And, that’s ok.

Whatever you buy them, I hope they stay safe

OP
R

RS3579

WKR
Thank everyone for the replies. We have a Chinese brand 50cc dirt bike. I was a little worried about the roll over on a atv also. I might just let them use the dirt bike and learn how to take the turns with that 1st.

def90

WKR
Dirt bike for the win.. they already know how to ride a bike..

Basically as small children they somewhat understand the dynamics of riding a bike so they are going to approach corners and so on in the same manner. With a quad the dynamics are different, they are going to hit the corner like they would on a bike but at the risk of getting mangled and rolled over in the quad. Sure, eventually they will figure it out either way but going from non motorized to motorized I would start with bikes and then move on to quads.