Kids first vehicle……

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 kids…. 16,14,12,11 ages
My oldest is looking at first vehicles..
He milks cows, feeds calves, does odd jobs and is saving money for truck, gas, insurance.
Made me think of my first truck and the way it was back then.
What was your first vehicle????
Do you remember how it felt??

CorbLand

WKR
My dad bought a 1979 Ford F-150 brand new. All of us kids drove it through high school so that was technically my first vehicle. Yes, I remember how it made me feel, broke because fuel prices where similar to now when I started driving it. 8 MPG down hill in neutral.

Bought a 2001 Tundra when I was in college and still drive it today 10 years after buying it.

If I had one thing I could do over. I would have bought either a 90s Chevy 1500 or an old 70s Bronco. Walked over to my neighbor that wrenched on cars all the time and had him help me rebuild one of them.

1977 Chevy 1/2 4x4. Had a 400 small block and I am pretty sure I was the only one in town with that engine. Loved that truck. That was 1995

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Had a 78 Ford F-150 4x4 in HS it was a piece but man what fun.

For reference I graduated in’95

'87 jeep commanche.

It's still around, but a little worse for wear. It was the first truck I managed to take the tailgate off of, sure seems to be a ritual.

NB7

WKR
I had a '69 Mustang, and that thing felt like the Millennium F'n Falcon with that sweet dashboard and turn signal in the scoop. (Well, technically it was my 2nd car after about 3 months with a '86 2-door Blazer 5-speed with the swing out spare on the tailgate). Damn I wish I could have either of those back!!! Edit...this was early 90s

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a 94 ford ranger when I was 18 for $1,050. Drove it home 2 hours stuck in 4 low with the brakes seizing up then spent all summer fixing it up with my old man.

Had it all throughout college and drove it across the country to move to Colorado with my dad. It’s currently sitting in my backyard with some electrical and fuel issues.

You should have seen my grin when we finished fixing it up that summer and finally got it on the road

Whatever it is, that kid's going to have a hard lesson in minimum wage vs. a tank of gas in today's climate. Good on you for teaching the value of agriculture. He may just decide an M.D. or J.D. is the way to go in the current times 😂 😂 😂 😂

huck

Lil-Rokslider
67 ford 2 wl. drive that the passenger door came open on with a left turn .replaced front wheel bearings every 1000 miles. rust green when i got it ,school bus yellow w/ rattle can when i was done. Had 4 bus garage classes. Best damn rig a mountain kid could have.Enough to get you in trouble but not enough to kill ya.

I bought my first car when I was 13 or 14. I worked for my dad all summer long and bought a 1968 Mustang Fastback GT. I found it sitting in an old ladies front yard one day and knocked on her door. It was her sons car and she gave me his number. My dad called him up and he said he'd take $1000 bucks for it. All I had was $700. He said deal and after a few minutes of talking to my dad he told him he'd take $500 and leave me a coupld hundred bucks to get started working on it. I spent every free minute I had on school breaks working for my dad and put damn near every penny I made into that car. We finished rebuilding it right as I turned 16. Man I wish I could go back in time and keep it, I ended up trading it to my dad for one of the company work trucks cause I needed something I could hunt out of. I see those cars going for incredible money now!!

I just recently bought a 99 Nissan Pathfinder for a little hunting rig and tease my daughter all the time that it will be her first car, half teasing cause if I still have it she will damn sure drive it. She's gonna wreak it and I definitely dont want to get her a brand new car just so she can beat the hell out of it!!

505Wapiti

WKR
71 chevy 1/2 ton long bed. Had it a little over a year and sold it, bought a 1986 Ford Ranger ext cab 4x4… that thing was a mini tank.

I drove family Honda Accord station wagon to work until I saved up to buy a 1998 Toyota Tacoma. It had and Extended cab, 4wd, manual transmission and 2.7l 4 cyl. I loved the hell out of that little truck!

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
my 4th car, and my all time favorite, was a 1970 Bronco, 302 v8, carbureted, three on the tree, removable steel top, no AC, no PB/PS. No back seat. No roll bar. Manual locking front hubs. But was it ever fun! Torquey, quick, maneuverable, unstoppable off road. And just the ugliest frog green color. I paid $750 for it.

GotDraw?

WKR
No lie-

a '70 Cuda Convertible, 383, 4sp manual, Hurst shifter, posi rear.

Regret to this day selling it when I bought my first home that had no garage to keep it in.

Still dream about it sometimes-- like a baby. I wake up every two hours and cry.

JL