Kids first vehicle……

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
'66 Chevy pickup......a 283 under the hood and 3 on the tree shifter. My dad bought it new when I was born in '65. I drove it a lot when I was younger around the farm, then all the time when I got my license at 16. It got 12mpg whether I drove it like I stole it, or like a grandma.

My neighbor bought a restored pickup just like the one we had, even with the same paint color. My 15 year old daughter told me she absolutely loved that truck and wanted it. The funny thing is......she never even knew that THAT was the same kind of truck I drove growing up. I finally found a pic with me and that truck, and her mouth just dropped wide open in disbelief.

Mine had a few redneck fixes. Crank sensor went out, to replace you were supposed to drop transmission. Air chisel to the floorboard and it was done in 10 minutes. That's what is nice about beaters it doesn't matter and at $500 you aren't losing any value.. plus Id take it places I wouldn't take my nicer truck. Chevy Tracker now serves my beater purposes but with gas prices it might get stock tires and be my DD lol

I just spent 8 hours doing an intake manifold gasket on my beater.....

But it lives up to its name.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
We had an old chrysler minivan. We called her Parker, because my brother always said "hey Parker 'round the corner and we'll walk up".

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
A 1996 Kawasaki KE 100 dual sport motorcycle. Rode it for 2 years rain or shine while I saved money for a 2001 Ford Ranger single cab manual 4 cylinder. I had never been so happy to not have to ride a motorcycle in the rain ever again.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
78 F100 w busted engine. Bought for 900 when I was 15. Spent one year working on it, new engine, new transmission and body work paint job. At 16 ran great, but herding cows on highway, so much play in steering.

Best part, my now wife could sit nestled up to me on bench with my arm around her shoulder

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
98 4x4 Ford Ranger used with 96,000 miles in the summer of 06. Drove it until I had my first son and my wife insisted we get something that had proper back seats for a kids car seat.

Gave it to my sister after her BF wrecked her car, and it had about 225,000 on it at that time. Not sure how many more miles she got out of it as her BF wrecked that truck also.

Twodog

FNG
Oh hell ya,

the year was 1996, an old rancher I knew gave me an old 1974 Ford Courier in baby shit green. I drove the hell out of that thing all thru high school.

OP
PorterNY

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Well I will chime in….year was 1995 and had a
1987 Nissan hard body truck, extended cab, 4 cylinder, manual transmission..
had a gun rack in the rear window and had an awful lot of fun in that old truck..
lot of first memories in it too

Well I will chime in….year was 1995 and had a
1987 Nissan hard body truck, extended cab, 4 cylinder, manual transmission..
had a gun rack in the rear window and had an awful lot of fun in that old truck..
lot of first memories in it too
HA! I had a 1986, same truck. Excellent on gas, pops demanded I buy a manual transmission, I hated the idea but soon loved it and I am so glad I learned on that. Been a number of years since I have owned a manual, but I can still jump in one and roll out if the need arises. I know so many adults that would have no clue how to operate one.

First car was an 87 Chrysler New Yorker. Thing was loaded and road great. Parents helped buy that at $1800. I drove that for a summer while working my ass off. Sold that car for $3700 and bought a 69 Camaro SS that was awesome. Definitely had that car at the wrong time in life. Senior in high school. No money to maintain it. It was awesome. Wish I had that one back. Bought the Camaro for $7600, drove it for two years and sold it for $9500 to buy a 2001 Chevy 1500. Had an 87 Dodge Ram 2wd short bed while I had the Camaro. If that truck was 4wd and fully reliable I would have been set.

tuffcity

WKR
'68 Bronco was the first vehicle I bought (around 1986) My dad was always buying and selling used vehicles so I never really had to own my own - drove the shop truck mostly and any cool vehicles he bought. One of my favourites he had for a while was a 65' Plymouth Fury convertible. What a boat but a fantastic beach cruiser for the summer!

Would love to still have either one of those in my yard now.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
22B9DFC2-8778-465A-966C-23DFFE0E63AF.jpeg96 4wd F-150. She’s only got 140k on her. Got the old truck squeaks but it gets the job done with no problems. Still rolls down the highway pretty dang smooth. Pulled lots of people out with it. It’s a fun truck but I can’t keep it away from the gas station with a 5.8 in it. Paid for it myself in cash from working on the farm for as long as I can remember.

NayNay

FNG
476AF8D4-C9E3-4DD8-90F1-951FA1112184.jpeg2004 Toyota Tacoma access cab, 4x4, manual transmission. Drove it for 10 years, put over 100k miles on it, and sold it for the exact same amount we bought it for. I’m not sure anything holds it’s value as well as a Toyota

1971 Ford Country Sedan station wagon. My brother scored it for me from a guy at the factory he worked in. Broke the rear window out when hauling a snow blower around. It was perfect for hauling beagles and pitching deer in. The war wagon has surely been sent to China by now and returned in its next life.

c670809

FNG
I've enjoyed reading this.

Mine was a '68 Chevelle. My dad found it buried to the frame in a walnut field. We bought it for $200 and spent the next year working together to restore it. Those are some of my best memories. My dad is now 74 but still doing well. We just restored a '67 Bronco together.