Kids Hunting Clothes

Hey folks! Trying to get some decent clothes for my kids . Looking for solids, reasonable price, durable, layering capability, and likely synthetic. Would love to hear folks' suggestions. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11bravo

FNG
If yours are anything like mine and growing like a weed don’t buy the expensive stuff. I’ve picked my boy up some Carhartt gear along with some off brand Carhartt. We’re going to and from the stand so he doesn’t need anything special. I did spend a little more on the boots but I’ve looked for nice hand me downs as well. The boots will only be worn for the one season. The longer he stays warm the longer we hunt. Do what you need to do to spend the time together, money can’t buy those memories.

OP
I
If yours are anything like mine and growing like a weed don’t buy the expensive stuff. I’ve picked my boy up some Carhartt gear along with some off brand Carhartt. We’re going to and from the stand so he doesn’t need anything special. I did spend a little more on the boots but I’ve looked for nice hand me downs as well. The boots will only be worn for the one season. The longer he stays warm the longer we hunt. Do what you need to do to spend the time together, money can’t buy those memories.
Thanks! We get out as much as we can. We are hunting high country elk and deer, backpacking when we can. Definitely moving away from cotton. Cost, and the rate they grow out of clothes is putting me in a bind. Good luck to you!

LJ Buck

WKR
Sitka Kid stuff is great. The key to remember is keep them as comfortable as possible it pays off on how much they enjoy it.

Felix40

WKR
What size stuff are you looking for? Its been hard hard for me to find decent pants for my son to wear hunting. Everything is either slim fit or made of cotton

OP
I
Where in Idaho are you and what size is your kid?
Greg. I'm in a
Salmon. I've got an 11 yet old daughter (maybe a 14/16 size); and a 9 yr old boy (size 10 or so).

OP
I
What size stuff are you looking for? Its been hard hard for me to find decent pants for my son to wear hunting. Everything is either slim fit or made of cotton
Same problems, but cost also an issue. I responded to size question above. Thanks for suggestions

ericF

WKR
Look at Sierra trading post for good deals on some kids clothes. Browning often has alot of different options in there and they change somewhat frequently. Also look for non hunting specifc outdoor clothes there for good deals, ie base layers, mid layers. Active Junky also has a decent percent off at Sierra Trading Post too.

I bought my son some merino base layers from mountain warehouse on sale...says they're a bit itchy at first but it goes away within 10 minutes or so. He won a Sitka jacket last year at a sheep count, I probably never would have bought it for him otherwise but I found out some of their kids clothes are actually made with multiple hems and are designed so you can let them out progressively as your kids grow...pretty cool feature in my opinion.

OP
I
Thanks for all the feedback folks! Ice got some places to check out options at least now. Much appreciated!

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Wouldn’t it be great if we had a kids hunting clothes pay-it-forward thread. Get good gear almost free, and then get it out of your house after they are grown out of it? Easy for me to say because my kids are just getting old enough now for me to start needing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn’t it be great if we had a kids hunting clothes pay-it-forward thread. Get good gear almost free, and then get it out of your house after they are grown out of it? Easy for me to say because my kids are just getting old enough now for me to start needing stuff.

Kids gear holds it value over everything else it seems. Expensive new/ expensive used for the top of the line stuff.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

How old are your kids and what are they currently in need of @Gearqueer? My kid is starting to grow out of stuff, I live in Canada so might not make economic sense with international shipping but this is actually something I've been thinking of trying to start both locally and on here...I definitely wouldn't want anything for the stuff he's grown out of but the shipping costs.

@IdahoMtnWalker feel free to chime in too! ;)

Bought my kids plenty of hunting/outdoor clothing from King's Camo at very reasonable prices.

OP
I
@BackcountryBloodline, I've got two tall stringbeans... boy is almost 10 and about 4' 8"; girl is about 12 and 5' 2". I'm looking for decent pants and jackets....appreciate anything we may be able to work out!

Wassid82

WKR
Hey folks! Trying to get some decent clothes for my kids . Looking for solids, reasonable price, durable, layering capability, and likely synthetic. Would love to hear folks' suggestions. Thanks for the help!

I've found lots go great deals on eBay. I think many parents get reasonably good clothing for kids and then the kids decide its a little harder than expected. I found sitka pants and jackets combined for about 50 bucks worked will for my son this last year on a deer hunt

Jardo

WKR
I did this 2 years ago when I took my daughter elk hunting in NM. I want my kids to enjoy coming out with me so I take seriously their comfort. I don’t want to be in the middle of elk and she gets cold and wants to go back to the truck or camp.

Bought her Sitka Gear from Black Ovis during a sale. They also gave a 10% discount for rokslide users. Between Eddie Bouer, Black Ovis, and Sierra Trading Post, she got some great clothes and had a great time. Never got cold even when we started hiking in the dark with 5 degree temps.

We had a great time and it was worth the few hundred I spent. Her little sister is wearing the same clothes this fall in NM again.

11dfd862874edf775d769b8c2ab5759f.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk