Kids whitetail stand gear?

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, my 8 year old has shown a lot of interest in joining me in the woods this year for whitetail gun season (late Nov), I've searched a couple kids clothing threads and found good brand recommendations but looking for recommendations on specific models of boots, bibs, jackets that people have had luck with keeping the little ones warm? I remember going in my snow pants and school jackets and was cold all day, curling into a ball under the bench in the stand to try and be warm when I was his age or a little older. Wanting to make sure he is comfortable as I can so he enjoys it more and continues to want to come out with me. Obviously hand warmers and other things will be used but most worried about the outer layers right now especially boots.

I have a pair of Lacrosse AlphaBurlys that I swore they used to make 1600g kids versions but I can only find 1000g?

There is a 5yo in the pipeline so I hope to get at least 2 seasons of use out of this stuff lol.

What I have done sacrifices my hunting and preferred style a bit. But when my kids go with me I try to keep sits to a maximum of two hours. And "gear" that I have found important:

1. Snacks... including fun stuff they might not usually get. Food makes time pass faster for some reason.
2. Blanket - A camo blanket can be huge as you can wrap it around you, wrap it around feet, whatever is needed. We had a fleece blanket that i carried for all hunts with the kids.
3. Hand Warmers - you mentioned it and these are huge for hands and feet.
4. Games - This is probably my least favorite but when my kids were young I used an old cell phone with some simple games hey enjoyed to help them pass the time. Its amazing how you don't get cold when you have something else to think about.

As for clothing I watched sales at Cabela's (there stuff has gone downhill a lot though) and have been able to put my kids in pretty nice clothing at good prices. Good socks can also go about as far as nice boots which are super expensive and yet work for such a short time.

Getting the kids out and making sure its fun for them is a short term sacrifice in your hunting that can pay lots of long term dividends in a hunting partner for a lifetime.

Soon my boys will be going western elk hunting, and talks of antelope, caribou and moose often frequent our dreams as well!

kpk

WKR
If possible - I'd seriously consider using a blind or building a haybale blind like my friend did last year. We ran a buddy heater in it and kicked ourselves for not doing it the last 15 years.

Haakon14

FNG
Agree with Brownie's suggestions. One addition, I've use these boot insulators with my kids. Slip them over their boots when you get to your stand/sit and throw a handwarmer or two in. While sitting in a blind/tent, we've even taken their boots off, slipped on an extra pair of my large wool socks over their socks, and used the insulators with a handwarmer (no boots).

ARCTICSHIELD Adult Realtree Edge Boot Insulators

I never went deer hunting when I was a wee one ut when I was 14 and broke as a joke deer hunting, I used a zip up camo polar fleece sweatshirt and put it over my normal warm non camo clothes. You can do the same for pants. That and long johns. I don't think I would get too into youth camo clothes simply because they most likely aren't going to be as high quality and warm as normal tried and true kids clothing and it's going to get a massive markup for being "hunting clothes" which is difficult to navigate as an adult let alone for a child. I definitely agree with a blanket like the other member mentioned as well