Kifar 24" or 26"

Squirrels

WKR
I have called and talked to Frank. I am border line based on my height and inseam. (5'10" and 32-33" measured inseam, not pant length) Said the 26 would stand pretty tall on me, not over my head or anything and the 24 would fit me well. Said the 26 would carry heavier loads better for me. So my question is, are there any of you out there that have been border line on frame size? Which did you choose and why? Any input would be appreciated.

ljalberta

WKR
I went up to the 26". It certainly stands tall on me and I use the 24" attachment for the load lifters for all but when I've loaded it up with 80lbs (unfortunately just weights, no meat packed out yet in this thing). I definitely could have gotten away using a 24" frame, however I am quite happy with the 26" as I can always lend it out to someone taller if they need. The downsides would be if you're often busting through thick overgrowth, you'll have that little extra height to deal with, and if I'm crawling with the pack on, my head hits the frame when I tilt it back (I've yet to crawl any significant distance with my pack on though - I just tested this at home). My head doesn't hit the frame unless I crank it back when walking upright though. I'm happy with the 26" as it fits my hunting needs. The great thing about Kifaru is, you can try the 24 or 26, then exchange it within their timeframe for the other frame height if you're unhappy.

colonel00

WKR
With a 26" frame you can lower down where the load lifters attach so it runs like a 24". Many folks complain about the extra height when going through brush but I've not had any issues. The funny thing is, before stay length was really an option, everyone ran the full sized frame and it worked. To me, this falls into the same line of thinking as pack size and everything else, you can always make it a little smaller or cinch down the pack but you can add extra room/size when you come to find that you really need it.

Also, post up where you are located. Good chance someone might be nearby that would have one for you to try out.

What bag?
I'm 5-8 and went with a 26, simply cause I carry a big bag for 7 day hunts
Don't forget that in your equation, the bag you will attach

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
What bag?
I'm 5-8 and went with a 26, simply cause I carry a big bag for 7 day hunts
Don't forget that in your equation, the bag you will attach

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll be making my own bag...similar to the reckoning but with some of my own twist to suit my liking.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like so far the consensus is 26.

Gumbo

WKR
I'm about 5' 9" and run a 26 with an AMR. Hauls about 70 pounds great and I have no complaints. Glad I went 26 for heavy loads. The only time I've had taller frames be an issue is when I'm prone and trying to lift my head up. Maybe if you were going to spot and stalk antelope or other open country critters and spend a lot of time on you belly I'd suggest going shorter.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
I went the other direction (than most) with frame size. At 6'-2" and a 19.5" torso the 26" frame would definitely be better when hauling heavy loads for me. However, if I'm completely honest with myself, I'm only hauling 80+ lb loads once every couple of years (I'm a much better hunter than killer....). All of my other loads are in the 45 lb and under range and a 24" frame handles those great. Even with my heavy loads, the lack of higher angle load lifters has never been a big deal. I much prefer having a lower profile pack on my back for the 98% of my time in the field with regular loads, than the other 2% with a heavy load and tall frame. As always, it really comes down to your intended usage. If I was frequently hauling heavy loads, the taller frame would definitely be the way to go.

I'm around your height but my inseam is a little less. I use a 26'' for pack in heavy stuff and a 24'' Bikini for day hunting. If hauling weight is your first concern I vote a 26'' and if day hunting is first then a 24''.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
After deliberation and talking with CS @ Kifaru I opted to try the 24". Now I just have to wait till it gets here.....................along with the Reckoning it will be sporting.

Side note, my torso measures 18 3/4", so my wife says.....take that with a grain of salt though. Same woman that was standing in the kitchen cooking and asked me if two 1/3 cups equaled 2/3 of a cup..........:confused:

Ha! I got my wife to measure mine and she came up with 20 the first time and 18.5 three days later. I really reamed her after that and had her measure three different times. She came up with 18.5 every time after that so, she either got it right or memorized it. Good luck man.

jm1607

WKR
I went the opposite way as most people around here. I'm 6' but got the 24" stays. I've always hated packs that run over my head. After using my pack extensively I realized I made the perfect choice for me.

At your height, I think you can go either 24" or 26".. Pros/Cons either way as others have discussed but don't be scared to run 24" if the height bothers you..

b2one

WKR
I have the same measurements that you do, and I have been using a 24" MMR frame for a few years. I have never wished I had the extra 2" of lift. One thing that helps is that the pack doesn't slip down, whether loaded or not, which means the load lifters still do their job. The only alteration I made is that I replaced the CF regular stays with arrow shafts, and I love the extra flexibility that the frame has. I have carried 2 elk out since I switched to the arrow shafts, and couldn't be happier.