Kifar E&E as a lid continued

Lawnboi

WKR
Kifaru E&E as a lid continued

Here are some pictures and details about the kifaru E&E as a lid that some guys were asking about

For reference this is on a T1. The E&E looks like it belongs on top of the T1, it fits perfect.

All I did was place 2 adjustable female buckles on the lid attachment straps near the stays. Once I did this I needed to replace the buckles on my vertical compression straps because Kifaru's black and colored buckles dont work together. If your wanting to do this keep that in mind. 2-4 female buckles is all it takes.

The lid snaps off and on with 4 buckles, it comes off fast, pretty quietly, and you can turn it into its backpack form in less than a minute.

The E&E itself has its own compression straps, which is good for the hunters who dont want everything banging around in thier pack while thier stalking. When its off the pack you just re-attach the buckles and its all set to go.

The suspension of the E&E is simple, but pretty comfortable for what it is. The webbing is wide and it comes with a chest strap.

The chamber on the pack that you tuck the shoulder straps into can be used to hold a water bladder, maps, whatever you want when your wearing the E&E alone. Its got a dring on the inside to hang a bladder if you desire.

1111.jpg

Here is a picture of it strapped on top of the T1, as you can see you get full vertical compression with the E&E on top. The straps run all the way over the pack to your back where they are anchored. It also compresses everything, so nothing in your lid is rattling around.

IMAG0054_zpsd98c9a02.jpg

This is what it looks like from the back. You can see where it clips in. Quick on and off.

IMAG0055_zpsf5e83528.jpg

This is what it looks like full. Its much bigger than I thought it would be. Inside I have a first aid kit, KUIU 230 merino zip t (which rocks!), KUIU Guide gloves and beanie, Headlamp, first aid kit, small kifaru chamber pocket with a bunch of junk in it, and there is a good bit of room to spare. Notice though how you can open the lid all the way while its on top of the pack, front to back, no digging for those small items here. Very easy to organize.

IMAG0056_zpse16ad6c4.jpg

The E&E empty with the small chamber pocket attached. All the dock and lock points in this pocket allow you to put any number of kifaru's dock and lock pockets inside to create even more organization. You could fill the thing up on both sides of the interior and just rip it open to access whatever you want quickly. I will be picking up a few of the UL chamber pockets to snap inside the thing.

IMAG0057_zps772f58fb.jpg

Here it is off the pack, with my belt pocket attached (KU small). The pals is nice because now if im going on a stalk, or fishing or spending a while away from camp, i can pull my belt pocket off my T1, and slap it on here, so i still have all my essentials at hand when i need them. Its also very quick to switch it over quick.

IMAG0058_zps6d3676d6.jpg

E&E off the pack again, a closer look at the belt pocket on the outside.

Overall Im very happy with getting this for a lid over the longhunter. Its a little heavier than other options out there, and the military line of Kifaru gear is really bombproof! but this gives me the organization that I want, with a fully functional and out of the way pack I can break away when I dont want to be walking around feeling like im strapped to a board. Im a light weight kind of guy, but the organization and function of this E&E as a lid is well worth the weight to me!

Any more questions ask away.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I see the pictures. Looks very cool. Wondering why you didn't go with the KU material EE?

I wanted a bag i could beat around town as well, so I got the tactical. I use the E&E as a gym bag, for biking, for running, throwing books in all kinds of stuff. The thing is bombproof, 1000d with another layer of something on the inside, its going to last a very long time. I may get the KU in the future for straight backpacking but im kind of liking the full zip on the standard as well as all the different options of adding junk to it.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
how does the ee susp do when biking or running?

It works well enough, feels like my camelbak. I can ride it pretty high and tight on my back, and with the chest strap it stays put pretty well.

Iv only used it for running with a bladder, and a few snacks and junk, no serious weight. biking i see no reason i cant load it up with a bunch of gear and a pocket on the outside.

The webbing used for the shoulder straps is suprisingly comfortable for how simple it looks

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
My E&E just showed up and the xray straps are awesome. This will be a great all around backpack. Waiting on buckles but will probably also use this as a lid. It will also be my new treestand pack.

What are the xray straps like compared to the normal ones? Are they interchangable after you cut them off? Ill be using my E&E alot for running and stuff, so I may get the xray straps if I ever think i need them. Only thing that kept me from getting them in the first place is the weight because I do use it as a lid and a pocket.

Try It as a lid! It sure works slick on there.

dotman

WKR
Take a look at the straps on your T1, they are a mini version. I found them to be way more comfortable and they are very light weight still, not sure the exact weight but I think 20lbs would be comfortable with them. I'll give the lid a try (just ordered up the female SR buckles) but this is now my do all pack. All my gym gear fits inside nicely, need to test the laptop fit. I think you'll like it. Once you cut the old straps off they are done but you could probably get Kifaru to send you new 3 ring sliders for the straps and make them interchangeable if you can sew or have a sewing contact.

This will be a great treestand pack with the organization capabilities. My longhunter lid is being retired so if I don't mind the additional weight this may take it's place. Man you have to like the modularity of Kifaru accessories :)

crumy

WKR
Lawboi - sort of bringing an old thread back to life. what made you choose this instead of the backpouch? It is also 1000 ci and about 11oz lighter? I am just asking becuase I am considering something like this and just think it would help to get info from someone with experience.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Lawboi - sort of bringing an old thread back to life. what made you choose this instead of the backpouch? It is also 1000 ci and about 11oz lighter? I am just asking becuase I am considering something like this and just think it would help to get info from someone with experience.

Simple, with the E&E I can remove it and have a stand alone fishing, stalking, summit type pack (kind of along the lines of the longhunter lid) Its a very comfortable little pack that stays out of the way when crawling fishing doing what have you. I can also dock it like a back pouch. However you see I chose to use it like a lid. This is not over the standard lid. I simply took the standard lid OFF and connected female buckles to dock my E&E right on the top as a 'lid' It also provides compression across the whole entire pack.

Its snaps off in seconds, and is on your back. You can put your belt pockets on the E&E. On a recent shed hunting trip I took along the E&E to use as a hiking pack once camp was dropped to look for sheds. Fishing I fill it with fishing gear and tear it off my main pack for when I fish. Hunting and scouting it works awesome as a summit/stalking pack. Stays out of the way unlike the longhunter lid (which I do not care for) and the organization of It is second to none.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Update:

I was playing around with my HC/bikini setup today using the E&E as a lid. I figured id snap some pictures

The HC is the 4800 model. It fits very nicely on top of it, even better than the t1. Foliage and CB look pretty bad together, I just might have to get a highlander E&E :)

A few of the E&E on the bag as a lid and one with the E&E on the frame. I cant wait for kifaru to get the K connectors in so I can outfit the E&E with them. It will make transitioning the pack even easier and allow me not to have female buckles all over the place.

The E&E on the frame is sweet. Im going to pick up a pod to use underneath it to hold raingear, along with a grab it and a few lashing straps it will work awesome for day hunting after dropping camp.

The E&E almost is a mini cargo panel. You could easily sandwitch some meat between the E&E and the frame. The straps are a hair short, but it could easily be done. A lashing strap or 2 would fix this as well

Poor quality is due to using a cell phone camera

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I am still toying with this. Do you think the back pocket will work? About same as ee

It might, you might have to get creative with your buckles or k connectors on the front side because I don't think there is any where on the back pouch to connect the K connectors (the E&E has tabs along with the pals). Though you could just use buckles and avoid that problem.

And of course you cant use it as a stand alone backpack, but it does look like you could attach a lashing strap and throw it over your shoulder.

I don't have a back pouch to play with though, if I remember aron had a few pictures of the backpouch on the bikini frame in the huge HC/bikini thread on here.

My E&E probably wont have a permanent spot on top of my HC, but theres times, like hunting, fishing and shed hunting, where im staying in one place for more than a day, that it will be great.

The back pouch would make for a nice big lid and it will also be compressable.

dotman

WKR
When I get a chance I'll mount up my Gen 1 hanging meat bag and E&E on the bikini and add some pics. Nice thing about the Gen 1 HMB is it compresses to nothing.