Kifaru 14'r feedback

Seems like a lot of 14'r's are showing up for sale. Is the pack not fitting a niche for you or what?

I have a spike camp legacy and a late season legacy. I'm debating consolidating them into having a 14'r.

The 14'er is an awesome pack and super capable.

For me, it was simply an issue of not getting any use. Way too nice a pack to live it's life in the gear room. As I get older....can't see a need to just store gear for the what if scenario.

I really like my 14'r, it's just kind of redundant for me right now with the number of packs I have in that size range. It packs down well for a short day hike or I can get 2-3 days out of it if I need to by adding a couple pouches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R
So you're both saying it was overlapping other bags. Are you saying the 14'r design wasn't superior then to the other packs?

I wouldn't say it is inferior to the other packs, just different. I personally don't like the interior spotting scope/tripod pockets because they just add weight to an already heavy-for-its-volume pack. Other than that, I like everything about the design.

Not really. I feel the 14'er is a perfect blend of the spike camp and late season.

Both the SC & LS lacked the ability to add belt pouches or SS pockets to the sides. Top opening on the SC was too small. LS lacked internal organization and items "got lost" inside when it wasn't stuffed full.

Since most of us have a slew of pouches and pockets for existing bags it makes sense that the 14'er adds the pals matrix tabs on the sides to make use of them when extra space or organization is needed. The center zip is much nicer than the bottom horizontal zip on either the SC or LS, imho of course. The divided interior of the 14'er made finding small gear much easier when not stuffed full because it was partitioned to one of 3 areas and not left floating around in a single large area.

The new suspension of the 14'er is super comfy with light loads and really pivots with your back yet has enough stability and support to carry 50-60# if needed.

I really like the 14'er a lot and it's a perfect day pack with options to expand (or kit up) for a UL 2-3 day trip.

sveltri

WKR
I am also surprised at the number of 14'rs that showed up for sale. I love mine when I don't need the capacity the Mountain Warrior provides. The 14'r is perfect for me for high lake trips, overnighters, day hunts, family day at the park, cardio up to 60#'s (only because that's the most weight I've had in it). I'm not crazy about the interior pocket layout but it works ok for me. Of course there were zero used packs for sale when I bought mine!

Who am I kidding, I love that pack. I'm pulling my classified. This thread was the therapy I needed to set my mind straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZDR

WKR
I replaced an Express with the 14'r and feel it overcame the shortcomings I had with the express. The center zip access, modularity, 23" suspension are great improvements over the express and make the 14'r very versatile from a daypack to a ultralight 3 dayer with 2 medium pockets added.

Im really on the fence about mine, but I think it all boils down to personal preference. I liked the idea of interior chambers vs the my favorite spike camp, but when the two inside pockets are full you can't really fit much into the main compartment. I think I will like it better with some belt pouches attached. I was going to sell my spike camp to help pay for my 14r but i realized I just like my spike camp way too much, i find that horizontal zipper much more useful for my style than the 14r's horizontal. Try one out and send it along if it doesnt suit you.

Dobermann

WKR
I know there were a few comments on threads here a while back about folks who ended up choosing a different small Kifaru pack over the 14'r ... not sure where they are now, but a quick search might find them. They were enough to sell me on testing cinched-down larger packs, or getting a Tarryall if I want to go the dedicated small pack / internal frame route.

As ever, of course, it all comes down to personal preference, and planned use.

Im really on the fence about mine, but I think it all boils down to personal preference. I liked the idea of interior chambers vs the my favorite spike camp, but when the two inside pockets are full you can't really fit much into the main compartment. I think I will like it better with some belt pouches attached. I was going to sell my spike camp to help pay for my 14r but i realized I just like my spike camp way too much, i find that horizontal zipper much more useful for my style than the 14r's horizontal. Try one out and send it along if it doesnt suit you.

your thoughts on the interior pockets match mine. the idea of being able to separate things in the interior is nice but when you fill the two interior sleeves it makes the main center compartment disappear. you also can't get to anything in those pockets from the full length zipper and have to go in through the top. it's such a minor issue though and they really did address almost every issue people had with the spike camp. if i could have any modification made to the design i would make those sleeves only half the height of the bag and shrink the circumference, similar to the little interior pockets that were in the longbow.

Deepshax

WKR
I like mine. I never use the sleeves. I use it for overnights, packing in a climber, and have done 5 nights out of one (summer/non hunting). Using a couple quick attach triglides to hang a guide lid (waiting for some k clips to restock for months now :) ) from the load lifter k clip attachment webbing. I use the guide lid to carry a mountainsmith kit cube w/ camera gear.

So I'm dredging this up from 4.5 years ago....

I really don't like the internal sleeves on the 14'r and am seriously considering removing them. I currently have my pack turned inside-out with a pair of shears sitting next to it...

Has any one else done this? Other than that, I love the pack.

OP
R
So I'm dredging this up from 4.5 years ago....

I really don't like the internal sleeves on the 14'r and am seriously considering removing them. I currently have my pack turned inside-out with a pair of shears sitting next to it...

Has any one else done this? Other than that, I love the pack.
Yep and had no regrets. It's really easy and doesn't take much to make it look like the pockets weren't even there.