Kifaru 14'R for General Hiking/Overnight and Travel

GMurs

FNG
Morning,

I am new to the forums but not to Kifaru, I currently utilize a 24" tactical frame with composite stays with a Tahr or 22 Mag, activity dependent. I have noticed when I am staying under 15 lbs the frame isn't as comfortable, and traveling/transporting this setup can be interesting especially when needing to check it.

Would the 14'R be a good option? It seems not too heavy, with decent dimensions and capacity. I have about a 21" torso so it should actually get some lift, correct?

Thanks for the help.

Trial153

WKR
I use the 14r for travel and day pack. In a pinch I packed deer out with it. Wasn't particularly pleasant however it wasn't terrible either.
Anyway You will get some lift however not a whole lot. It very comfortable with light load as it moves well with you. I have never checked it, always put it in the over head bin. I am running mine with a shaman pouch on it. I put what I need for the flight in the Sherman then take it off before I stow the pack over head.

OP
G

GMurs

FNG
@Trail153
Thanks for the info and how you utilize the Sherman Pocket. Great idea.

Trial153

WKR
@Trail153
Thanks for the info and how you utilize the Sherman Pocket. Great idea.
I use it like a grab it, stuff a jacket behind it ect. Four quick connects make for quick removal and replacing it.

I should add that belt on the 14 tucks away close to the pack so it's out of the way stowing it.
b59340c1543c80b8e9bdac63e062a1cd.jpg

WJS23

WKR
Thats exactly what I use mine for and love it. You can’t go wrong with that pack

Kotaman

WKR
I've had both a 14'r and a Tarryall for travel. Preferred the size of the Tarryall and sold the 14'r. Both great options though. I air travel all over with the Tarryall.

OP
G

GMurs

FNG
Trail153 looking at that picture I would wager you took that in the airport.

OP
G

GMurs

FNG
Kotaman, I was considering the Tarryall for a minute but its size is so close to the 22mag.

I absolutely love my 14’r it goes all over with me. Every time I fly it’s with me. I’ve used it to haul 50# of corn to a stand I couldn’t drive anywhere near. Not very comfortable but like others have said, not terrible either. I would pack a boned out deer with it if I needed to and I doubt it would be a problem. I love it for day hikes. Jetboil, water, camera, trail camera or two, fishing pole and some tackle. Also use it a lot as a stand bag.
acdd830f98ee8aec24349c330b1f7072.jpg

db960012e4545537218195e39a8f69f1.jpg

OP
G

GMurs

FNG
Thanks LIwolverine! Would you say it can support an overnight hike?

Thanks LIwolverine! Would you say it can support an overnight hike?

Sorry. I just saw your responses. Absolutely it could handle that. I’ll probably be doing exactly that at the beginning of August. I’ll post it up if I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk