Kifaru 14r or Tarryall, looking for advice

Ka88

FNG
Good afternoon. I’m looking for advice on the Kifaru 14r and Tarryall. I’m ready to order one of these to replace my G1 Spike Camp. This will be a multi-use daypack for travel/airline carry-on, fly fishing, hunting, outdoor activities (ATV, snowmobile, cross country skiing, day hikes, etc.), family trips (I have to carry stuff for my wife and two daughters).

Here are the issues. I’m 6’ but have a 21” torso, and two degenerated disc in my thoracic spine. So transferring weight to my hips is very important. The Spike Camp worked, but was a little short to keep the weight off my shoulders, but it has done its job for 12 years. My G1 Siwash did a better job, but is too large for a day pack. I can’t use the frame packs because I need it to meet carry-on requirements. The smaller Kifaru day packs don’t have long enough stays to offer an advantage over the Spike Camp.

I’m from North Florida, but hunt, fly fish and travel out West, as well as fish and hunt here. So I’m looking for a pack that I can day hunt from, hike into fishing and hunting areas with my gear, and survive Disney with.

I like the pocket organization of the Tarryall for carrying fly rods, gear, and easy to reach items needed while carrying all my wife and daughters stuff. But I’m concerned it may be a larger than I need.

I like the size of the 14r, similar to my Spike Camp, but am concerned about the weight and cost benefits being lost by adding pockets on the side for water bottles, quick stash items or fly rods.

When I hunt it’s spot and stalk, and primarily archery. Being from Florida, let’s just say a few extra layers get stuffed in there when I’m out West.

So, if any of you have similar experiences and can offer any thoughts or suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Kotaman

WKR
I bought both when they came out but sold the 14’er. I love the Tarryall. Does everything the 14’er can with more capacity. I love the big pocket especially when traveling.

OP
K

Ka88

FNG
I bought both when they came out but sold the 14’er. I love the Tarryall. Does everything the 14’er can with more capacity. I love the big pocket especially when traveling.
Thank you

Trial153

WKR
I have the 14R, I use it a day pack and carry on for airline travel. I like how narrow it is and it still has decent capacity. Its stream line and moves with you inside your profile. The inside pocket lay doesn’t do anything for me as I just use the main section mostly. I added and subtracted extra pockets as needed and I also ran a grab it on the pack for a couple hunts. I am swapping the Grab it out for a Sherman pocket that can be detached when the pack is in the over head on flights. What that pack isn’t is a load hauler. Much over 50 pounds of meat and it doesn’t carry the best. That said it’s not designed too.
I like it however my MR pop up is quickly replacing it as it does everything the 14 R can do and it can haul a bigger load way more comfortable.

OP
K

Ka88

FNG
I have the 14R, I use it a day pack and carry on for airline travel. I like how narrow it is and it still has decent capacity. Its stream line and moves with you inside your profile. The inside pocket lay doesn’t do anything for me as I just use the main section mostly. I added and subtracted extra pockets as needed and I also ran a grab it on the pack for a couple hunts. I am swapping the Grab it out for a Sherman pocket that can be detached when the pack is in the over head on flights. What that pack isn’t is a load hauler. Much over 50 pounds of meat and it doesn’t carry the best. That said it’s not designed too.
I like it however my MR pop up is quickly replacing it as it does everything the 14 R can do and it can haul a bigger load way more comfortable.
Thank you

Mitten32

WKR
If it were between the two For me it would be the tarryall hands down. Had they 14’r and also sold it. The internal and external organization of the tarryall is far superior in my opinion. Add a belt and two belt pouches and you’ve got all kinds of space. Also have the option to run a grabit if needed. You can grab the pack and go without fussing with adding pouches or side pockets. The two side water bottle pockets were a big plus for me as well. I’m probably biased towards it in all honestly but it performs so many tasks flawlessly I can’t say enough good things about it.

OP
K

Ka88

FNG
If it were between the two For me it would be the tarryall hands down. Had they 14’r and also sold it. The internal and external organization of the tarryall is far superior in my opinion. Add a belt and two belt pouches and you’ve got all kinds of space. Also have the option to run a grabit if needed. You can grab the pack and go without fussing with adding pouches or side pockets. The two side water bottle pockets were a big plus for me as well. I’m probably biased towards it in all honestly but it performs so many tasks flawlessly I can’t say enough good things about it.
Thank you

ErikM

FNG
I own a 14’r and if you’re looking to maximize space, especially hauling all your family’s gear, go with the Tarryall. I’m the pack mule for my family outings as well and I add multiple pouches to my 14’r and it’s still stuffed. I’m keeping it to fill other pack needs for me, but if I had to do it over as a daypack, Tarryall for sure.

OP
K

Ka88

FNG
Thank you for the replies and advice.
I own a 14’r and if you’re looking to maximize space, especially hauling all your family’s gear, go with the Tarryall. I’m the pack mule for my family outings as well and I add multiple pouches to my 14’r and it’s still stuffed. I’m keeping it to fill other pack needs for me, but if I had to do it over as a daypack, Tarryall for sure.
Thank you

OP
K

Ka88

FNG
Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve decided on the Tarryall and just ordered it late today. Looking forward to my next Kifaru pack. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

OP
K

Ka88

FNG
Tarryall came in today. No doubt it was the right choice for me. Comparing it to my Gen 1 Spike Camp I can see it will fit my needs much better. Thanks again for all of the feedback, the insight helped a lot.

OP
K

Ka88

FNG
It was on my doorstep two weeks after I ordered it.