Kifaru 14r upgrade to 22Mag?

Lfkfam

FNG
Hello all,

I’m in the market to upgrade to a frame pack from Kifaru. I mainly hunt upland & waterfowl and get out for deer and elk once a year. I’ve got an OLD external frame jansport pack that is ridiculous for carrying out big game and mainly use the 14r for gear. I’d like to buy a 22Mag on a 24” frame and utilize the meat shelf when needed. Is it worth ditching the 14r for the 22Mag even though they have similar capacity? I’ve thought about using mule tape or rope to attach to the 14’r for hauling big game meat but never did do that. Anyone haul out a decent amount of weight with the 22Mag? Also worried about how far the pack sticks up towards the back of my head. It seems tall but I haven’t been able to try one on. I kick through a lot of brush to get to bird blinds and hike quite a bit to get to my deer and elk spots. Any photos of your 22Mag rig would be greatly appreciated. Here’s a shot of my 14’r

c282dd47a8fdbe5237df8c8e094f5705.jpg

hunting1

WKR
It will be a big upgrade for packing weight. My son is a big boy and uses a 22MAG with 22 frame and loves it. It rides low but has a little lift. He has about 3-elk pack outs under it now and uses it for back pack trips. I really like the G2 22mag, mine is a Gen I.

OP
Lfkfam

Lfkfam

FNG
It will be a big upgrade for packing weight. My son is a big boy and uses a 22MAG with 22 frame and loves it. It rides low but has a little lift. He has about 3-elk pack outs under it now and uses it for back pack trips. I really like the G2 22mag, mine is a Gen I.
Thanks for the reply. How tall is your son? I was considering the 22" frame at first but have been steered in both directions. When you say it rides low, is that with the added weight?