Kifaru 14'r vs mini keg

I'd love some feedback if you have used 1 or (even better) both of these packs.

I'm after a pack for day trips, maybe an overnighter but less likely. Primarly used for day hunts and other woods trips. Ability to handle weight is appreciated but not essential. Main reason for purchase is I do a lot of day hunting where I prefer not to have a large frame pack, so if I can carry some meat on the first trip that's all it would be for. It's hard to tell the difference between the suspension online and how the packs will carrry

Pro's 14'r
- Compression straps
- Pocket options
- 23" stays (i'm 6'3")
- Looks to be a bit more streamlined

Pro's mini keg
- Cheaper
- I love the water bottle pockets
- Lighter.

Many thanks for your help with this

Matty

Pezboat

WKR
I had a problem buying and selling day packs until I bought the mini keg. Both will handle a small load fairly well. The mini keg compresses down just fine and comes with compression straps. I like the simplicity of the bag itself. And the ease of access with the top-loader and front zip. Having never used the 14’r, I’d say these two are very similar overall. Some differences you noted like the water bottle pockets and the 22” vs 23” stays. The lids also differ (roll top vs pocketed lid). You’ve got some extra room with the mini keg which never hurts. I also like that I can use it as a carryon when flying. And there are tabs throughout the pack if you ever want to add something like a Sherman or LCP. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with either pack.

OP
M
I had a problem buying and selling day packs until I bought the mini keg. Both will handle a small load fairly well. The mini keg compresses down just fine and comes with compression straps. I like the simplicity of the bag itself. And the ease of access with the top-loader and front zip. Having never used the 14’r, I’d say these two are very similar overall. Some differences you noted like the water bottle pockets and the 22” vs 23” stays. The lids also differ (roll top vs pocketed lid). You’ve got some extra room with the mini keg which never hurts. I also like that I can use it as a carryon when flying. And there are tabs throughout the pack if you ever want to add something like a Sherman or LCP. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with either pack.
Thanks. Do you find the shoulder straps quite bulky if you are using the pack for carry on? Or lighter use?

Pezboat

WKR
Thanks. Do you find the shoulder straps quite bulky if you are using the pack for carry on? Or lighter use?
The shoulder straps are no issue. The belt can get annoying though (stuffing into the overhead bin). Looks like they have the same shoulder straps and belt.

strongarm

FNG
When I fly with the Minikeg I take the belt off. Included with the Minikeg are straps with 3-bar sliders that allow the pack to be worn without the belt. This makes it easier for getting in-out of the overhead, and also makes the pack less conspicuous for any over jealous/discriminating gate agents, especially when the pack is overfilled and doesn't technically meet carry on size requirements.

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
I recently flew with my minikeg but didn't think of taking the belt off, great idea. I put it under the seat in front of me and they never said a word.