Kifaru 22" frame users - load carrying?

Plagioclase

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering buying a 22" frame for my 22 mag bag and making it a dedicated day pack. I have a 24" frame I've been using with my Reckoning and 22 mag. I have a short torso (17.5") and find the 24" frame catches on limbs/brush when I walk/crawl under it. I'm wondering the 2" shorter helps that out.

I'm also wondering how.much lift I'd get with a 22" frame when under load. I do alot of day hunting off the beaten path for whitetails. When I'm back in, I quarter and bring out the deer in 1-2 trips.

Any input on the height of the 22" frame in still hunting mode and catching on limbs and comfort under load is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Plagioclase.
I don’t have a 22 inch frame, so take what I’m saying with that in mind. Also, I have a torso length of about 17.5 inches.
With that said, I did use an Eberlestock dragonfly pack for a lot of years while doing deer hunting similar to what you’re describing. the frame on that was such that there wasn’t any lift from the load lifters at all. It wasn’t anywhere close to what my 26 inch Kifaru is, but it worked ok. Actually, the lack of load lift wasn’t the issue for me with that pack. The issue was the belt would slip no matter what I did or how tight I cranked it. I think a 22 inch frame Kifaru would be awesome for the purpose you are describing. I’ve been thinking about one myself for the exact same purpose.

I'm considering buying a 22" frame for my 22 mag bag and making it a dedicated day pack. I have a 24" frame I've been using with my Reckoning and 22 mag. I have a short torso (17.5") and find the 24" frame catches on limbs/brush when I walk/crawl under it. I'm wondering the 2" shorter helps that out.

I'm also wondering how.much lift I'd get with a 22" frame when under load. I do alot of day hunting off the beaten path for whitetails. When I'm back in, I quarter and bring out the deer in 1-2 trips.

Any input on the height of the 22" frame in still hunting mode and catching on limbs and comfort under load is appreciated.

Thanks!
I am in the exact predicament as you! I haven’t made a decision yet. I’m leaning to the 22 in frame. I have used EXO short frame which is 23 inches I believe and it still felt I had a lot of lift height with the load lifters. I have sold the EXO as it constantly slipped down my back.

I had a 26 and bought a 22 for use as a daypack with a woodsman For the exact kind of hunting you are talking about. For me it was noticably smaller and more compact Moving through the woods. It’s not going to carry as well but it was fine for a heavy load when needed.

not to try and steer you away from kifaru, but I use a mystery ranch pop up 38 in that “day pack that can haul“ mode now and like it a lot

I had a 26 and bought a 22 for use as a daypack with a woodsman For the exact kind of hunting you are talking about. For me it was noticably smaller and more compact Moving through the woods. It’s not going to carry as well but it was fine for a heavy load when needed.

not to try and steer you away from kifaru, but I use a mystery ranch pop up 38 in that “day pack that can haul“ mode now and like it a lot
About What is your torso length? I’m not sure if plagioclase is trying to say this but, I think I am, and that is I think the 22 in frame will still be fairly long on my 17 in torso. That is 5 inches above my shoulders.

I am tall. 6’3”. Torso is over 20 inches so I am not much help for you there. maybe someone your size an post a pic wearing a 22 inch frame.

for the type of hunting the OP described, in the last 6 years I tried...

- 22L no frame daypack
- MR crew cab on a NICE frame
- woodsman on a 26 and 22 inch frame
- pintler on a guidelight frame
- pop up 28 & 38

...I think the pop up is the only one that is a truly compact daypack but also gives decent lift for carrying a heavy load. Any one of those packs would be fine, except the 22l daypack, but the pop up for me, is better. it’s is comparatively heavy and it aint cheap but it works very well for me in that role of a daypack 95% and hauler 5% role.