Kifaru 22 MAG - Gen 2 just announced

tdot

WKR
It looks like the 2nd Generation 22 Mag was just released on Kifaru. Looks like a great upgrade from the original 22, and much more similar to the 44.

I'm pretty stoked on their new bags, they just seem to be getting better and better lately.

They also mention some new pockets coming out.

Hopefully theyll release a new Shape Charge soon too. One of these packs may finally be the elusive day pack that I've been looking for.

Agreed, I just wish the Shape Charge were slightly bigger. I love that it can be a stand alone bag and also put on a frame.

Block

WKR
Awwww man... just bought a 2nd 22 mag a few months ago... last year I bought the hunter frame a month b4 they scraped it as well...any pix of it? I can’t find it on their site..

Block

WKR
^^^ thanks... and relief washes over me...! It looks like they actually took the only things I DONT like about my 44 and put it on the 22!!! OG 22 >>>

I have not paid too much attention to new K Packs. I own a 26" carbon frame and two bags, as well as a 14'r. I keep reading about "Our 22" frame"....I am quite sure my frame is a 26". About 4 years old now. I don't see any 22" listed.

Will this bag swap right to my existing frame? I am running the 5200 DT 2 bag all the time. Mostly on day hunts hoping to haul out heavy. I could really use a smaller pack/bag combo...which this seems like. And I am mess and unorganized by nature. Opening up a top/panel loader and dumping shit in is exactly how I roll.

bobinmi

WKR
I have not paid too much attention to new K Packs. I own a 26" carbon frame and two bags, as well as a 14'r. I keep reading about "Our 22" frame"....I am quite sure my frame is a 26". About 4 years old now. I don't see any 22" listed.

Will this bag swap right to my existing frame? I am running the 5200 DT 2 bag all the time. Mostly on day hunts hoping to haul out heavy. I could really use a smaller pack/bag combo...which this seems like. And I am mess and unorganized by nature. Opening up a top/panel loader and dumping shit in is exactly how I roll.

The 22" only appears to be offered in the tactical frame now. This pack will fit your frame but there will be about 4 inches of frame underneath the bottom of the pack.

bobinmi

WKR
I was about to buy one when Snyder mentioned another new pack on the most recent q&a podcast. sounds like a daypack built into a cargo panel. That would be the perfect set up for the whitetail stuff that I do.

colersu22

WKR

yes you can mount a 22 mag on a 26” frame, you will just have a gap at the bottom of the frame. My woodsman is similar and on my 26” frame I just use the space at the bottom for a roll top pod.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious what people think about the clam shell design. I like it okay on the Shapecharge but just can’t get myself into it on the larger bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
Curious what people think about the clam shell design. I like it okay on the Shapecharge but just can’t get myself into it on the larger bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s 1 thing I DONT like about my 44mag or this new 22,,, I much prefer how the older 22Mag has the separate top pocket

sveltri

WKR
I've had the Gen 1 22 mag, Mtn Rambler, Mtn Warrior, Woodsman, 14'r, 44 mag, and Gen 2 22 mag. The clam shell opening is hands down my favorite that I've had.

Hmmm, up-the-middle zipper seems faster for any pack 3000cu.in and up just from cramming stuff in there quick and not having more zipper to get stuck on crap, interesting... Definitely a subjective call here...

Vaultman

WKR
The best part about the 22 mag (gen 1) was the deep side pockets. You could stack stuff in there, but the gen 2 doesn't have them. Bummer. The clam shell is possibly something I would like better for better top access to the main bag, but when I am reaching over my head to grab something out of the top pocket, I do not like having multiple zippers there. I might like the clam shell opening and I might dislike it compared to the gen 1. I know I will not like the short side pockets. So, I'll stick with my gen 1 for now. It is the best daypack I have ever used.

Gasman

Lil-Rokslider
The best part about the 22 mag (gen 1) was the deep side pockets. You could stack stuff in there, but the gen 2 doesn't have them. Bummer. The clam shell is possibly something I would like better for better top access to the main bag, but when I am reaching over my head to grab something out of the top pocket, I do not like having multiple zippers there. I might like the clam shell opening and I might dislike it compared to the gen 1. I know I will not like the short side pockets. So, I'll stick with my gen 1 for now. It is the best daypack I have ever used.

Yeah, I really like having the slot pockets on the 22 Mag Gen 1 and the Reckoning. Unfortunately, Kifaru seems to be moving away from slot pockets, even though they’re very handy for tripods, shooting sticks, etc.

Vaultman

WKR
Yeah, I really like having the slot pockets on the 22 Mag Gen 1 and the Reckoning. Unfortunately, Kifaru seems to be moving away from slot pockets, even though they’re very handy for tripods, shooting sticks, etc.
They are certainly the best for tripods. Not question of "will xxx tripod fit", because there is no height restriction. Plus I could stack my coffee, stove, sons hot cocoa, and an extra H2O bottle in ONE deep slot pocket. The other slot pocket was for a puffy jacket in bottom and a tripod on top. (Can't do that with a sewn in nalgene height water bottle slot. :cautious:)
I really like my Kifaru system, and I am glad I have a gen 1, 22 mag. Who knows though maybe these additional pockets that were discussed will make the gen 2 one stand out better.