Kifaru 22 MAG - Gen 2 just announced

Yeah, I really like having the slot pockets on the 22 Mag Gen 1 and the Reckoning. Unfortunately, Kifaru seems to be moving away from slot pockets, even though they’re very handy for tripods, shooting sticks, etc.
You could always leave the zipper slightly unzipped for tripod or shooting sticks to fit.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Curious what people think about the clam shell design. I like it okay on the Shapecharge but just can’t get myself into it on the larger bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a huge fan of it. I've slowly converted all my packs to this layout over the past 5 or 6 years.

It gives alot of flexibility on how you pack and position different items. You can quickly open your pack, know exactly where something is and not mess with how your load/layout is organized. I find that I have started to pack most of my packs in a similar fashion, with similar gear in comparable locations, so I can pretty much grab anything at a moment's notice and not pull anything else out.

This becomes a big bonus in snow/rain or steep conditions as you dont have to take anything out of your pack you dont need. I also find that I open the pack to the elements alot less, as if the conditions are poor, I only open the section of the zipper necessary to get what I need.

During high intensity activities, I can layer/delayer quickly and stuff pieces in their home in the pack, not just at the top.

Biggest negative is odd shaped or tall gear, this goes on the meat shelf or strapped to the outside. Not a big enough negative for me to worry about.

oldhorse

WKR
Dammit! Every time I think I've got my pack situation dialed in Snider and Bender work their magic! I want to look away.........but then.......🤔

JDB9818

WKR
Bumping this up hoping that maybe some of you who might have gotten their hands on the new 22 Mag can give an opinion on how you are liking it.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I have one I’m running on a SG Krux frame... it’s going to be a great bag! Plenty of room and I like the clam shell. I really like a center zip but I can make this work!

ps- had the gen 1 and hated the big side pockets. I like this layout WAY better!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Just used my new 22mag gen-2 for a week of late season WA elk archery. Switching my Reckoning to 22mag was ez. Mag is great daypack with lots room. Like no side long pockets, doesn't collect debris like Reckoning in non-zip, open top, long side pockets. Keep Reck bag for 3-5 day hunts in backcountry.

Mag bag held tripod securely. Swarovski 15x fit in one of top pockets easily.
And packing out quarters, boned-bagged meat solo was a blessing with the meat shelf and Kifaru hunter duplex frame. I was not short of any gear I needed and still had bag room to spare!
22 Mag/hunter duplex frame is one great day bag-pack out meat for western hunting

LionHead

WKR
Could this work as a 2-3 day overnighter?

Say a Cimarron or megatarp no poles, revolation quilt, xtherm LW pad, jacket, spair clothes (1pr each socks, shirt, chonies,) rain gear (UL kryptek 2 layer stuff) 32oz nalgene, 3l water bladder jetboil, 3days food, possibles kit and poo kit?.

No spotter and binos would be in the harness

Would everything fit or would it need external pockets/meatshelf.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

JDB9818

WKR
Could this work as a 2-3 day overnighter?

Say a Cimarron or megatarp no poles, revolation quilt, xtherm LW pad, jacket, spair clothes (1pr each socks, shirt, chonies,) rain gear (UL kryptek 2 layer stuff) 32oz nalgene, 3l water bladder jetboil, 3days food, possibles kit and poo kit?.

No spotter and binos would be in the harness

Would everything fit or would it need external pockets/meatshelf.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I just received my Gen 2 22 Mag yesterday (sooner than expected, thanks Kifaru) and I think it will be an AWESOME day pack. I liked my 44 Mag but it was just a little too big for what I use it for.

Having said that, I don't know if you could squeeze 2-3 days out of it. I was hoping to maybe do the same but I'm not sure. I also picked up a Muskeg 2800 to compare and I think that bag will be better for the couple day overnight trips. I'm probably going to try them both and make a decision.

I haven't ever seen the gen 1 bag so I can't compare but I think the gen 2 bag is a nice upgrade.

oldhorse

WKR
I have done a warm weather overnight out my Gen 1. With a Sherman Pocket Pocket and Guide lid I could probably stretch it to three nights, as long as I had a good water source.

Jedgar

FNG
So many choices for such a small company, I’m having a hard time keeping up. Seems like you caint go wrong with any of them so I guess it buffs out.