Kifaru 24 v 26 Frame

Hey all,
Ive been hijacking the backpack thread for the better part of the past 48 hours so thanks for dealing with me. I talked with Snyder this morning regarding my setup going forward (my first Kifaru pack/frame). I am going to be running the hoodlum. With regard to the frame however, he said I could essentially go with either one. He said the 24 would be more practical (as has been mentioned on other threads) as the 26" for my body would not really be necessary unless carrying very heavy loads (for me it would be elk packout loads as I keep my pack between 30-35lbs otherwise. Im a bit torn on which frame to go with. I like the idea of being able to utilize the 26" during a packout but it seems like a lot of frame for something that maybe isnt a huge deal. I have chicken legs so I dont typically pack out above 80lbs max. Unless spoilage is an issue, I am definitely a "one rear elk quarter" at a time type of guy.

One thing that really makes me want to stick with the 24 is that I archery hunt primarily and I am always carrying my bow behind my neck/on the top of my pack where it can kind of rest there while I am hiking/calling/quickly glassing. This looks like it would be tough to do with the 26 as it sticks up quite high. I am 5'11" and 170lbs, 19" torso, 31/32 inch waist and 31/32 inch inseam.

For those of you that have tried both, is there a noticeable difference above 60lbs for someone of my build? Is it worth going the 26" for those times when I do have an elk quarter on the frame? I do utilize the meatshelf so not sure if that makes much difference with regard to the benefit of a 26" under heavy load. Primarily archery hunting/spot and stalk, the 26" seems like an additional bit that could just get in the way of brush etc.

Should I just order the 24" and stop overthinking it? Let me know your thoughts.

kdelarye

FNG
Keep in mind the 24 inch light frame is actually 25. I use both the 24 and 26 light frames. I almost exclusively use the 24 and I'm 6'4". I'm never carrying 100+# though either. I find myself grabbing the 26 when I'm cold weather camping with my 2 young sons and then I'm usually carrying over 80#s . My bag depends on what I'm doing, I only use my hoodlum when I'm living out of it. Other otherwise I'm flippin between woodsman, mt. Warrior, or 22 mag. I've also never packed an elk off of a mountain, just black bear and whitetail and never more than 5 miles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

KRoch

FNG
I'm 5'9" 180 lbs Athletic build and I have the 24" tactical and new 26" Lite frames with the Fulcrum/ Crater/ Cargo Panel. 32 waist small belt fits perfect the medium is too big and 30 inch inseam. I prefer the 26 but I'm not a bow hunter and I'm not an ultra lite guy so I'm usually packing for worst case situations and around 40 + lbs with weapon day pack. I hunt in northern BC Moose/ Elk, Sheep I found the 24 to be just short of comfortable when packing out moose quarters but if I were to do it again and could only afford 1 I would go with the 26" as you can't add frame height but you can lower it. As I said I do pack more stuff than necessary most times and do pack out over 100lbs.

JMDavies

WKR
Obviously Aron is the best resource in this case, but I thought I'd chime in. I have the 22" frame for my 22mag and a 26" for my fulcrum. The 22mag fits on the 26" frame if needed.

Obviously Aron is the best resource in this case, but I thought I'd chime in. I have the 22" frame for my 22mag and a 26" for my fulcrum. The 22mag fits on the 26" frame if needed.
have you hauled heavy loads with both? i'm curious how big of a difference there is if using the meat shelf, carrying a heavy load with the 22vs 24, 24vs 26... is there a big difference between the 22 and 24? noticeable?

i'm leaning on the 24" but if i'm not giving up much capability with the 22", that would be ideal here on the coast.... the more frame that sticks up, the more of a pita is getting hung up in the brush.

that's what I love about my MR pop up, if you can duck under something you clear it, no frame sticking up unless you are packing weight.

I also don't want to give up load hauling potential, and think the 24" is the most practical, in theory....

ljalberta

WKR
I’m not the same height as you. I’m 5’9” with a 30”ish inseam. I had both the 26 and 24. For my height, even with loads over 100lbs the 24” still provided enough lift and then some. Plus it interfered with my head less.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you really think an extra 2” is going to be a huge deal? I’d much rather have the extra height for when I do haul a heavier load out especially if I could only have one pack.

JMDavies

WKR
I'd choose the 24" if I had one choice. I use my 22" for everyday use, day trips with the capability of packing out and animal alone with the possibility of having to make a second trip. My 26" comes out fewer times a year for the deeper back country where I have fewer options due to weight. I'm embarrassed to say but here goes. I'll always back in anything I think I might need until the pack is unbearable. The 26" frame with the fulcrum allows me to to bring more weight with the least amount of pain. Just my opinion.

ZDR

WKR
Almost identical build to you, waist 32, inseam 33, 175. The 24 works great for me. Never has been an issue regardless of the weight I carried. I fretted over it at first thinking I needed a 26 but once I used it I realized the 24 was perfect.
z

*zap*

WKR
I think a shorter torso may need a shorter frame, height and inseam may not dictate torso length. I am 6' and wear long inseam and have a short torso.

tdot

WKR
We're virtually the same build. 24" is plenty for me and there is times I would have preferred the 22". I dont find a major difference in the lift until 90- 100+ pounds. And then it's just different, not significantly better.

I'd have to be using the frame for packing 75% of the time or more to justify a 26".

rob86jeep

WKR
Buy the 24 and don't look back. I am the same size as you and went back and forth before I bought my frame as well. I've never used the 26 so I can give a comparison, but I have packed out around 100 lbs with my 24 and I can't imagine have a few extra inches would make the load magically better. If you'll be wearing the frame with low weight while hunting, then get the one that will work best for 95% of the time you'll be wearing it and just deal with a small negative (maybe) for the 5% you'll be packing something out.

I’m not the same height as you. I’m 5’9” with a 30”ish inseam. I had both the 26 and 24. For my height, even with loads over 100lbs the 24” still provided enough lift and then some. Plus it interfered with my head less.
This^^^^ I tried stalking and improving my position with a 26" frame.....I can't tip my head back. Very annoying. I will go 24" on next frame