Kifaru 357 Mag Feedback

That sounds like a good set up and you’re correct, there are internal straps for lashing stuff against the frame which is really nice. Just might not be able he-man it and pack out a whole deer like you could with the extra space of a load shelf. Not a concern with most whitetail guys I know

I was very surprised to hear Snyder in one of his videos say that it can fit a back and front Colorado elk quarter (Probably 100+lbs?). Would you agree with that? If I had to guess 2 elk quarters are about equal to a whitetail.

Yeah the zippered side pockets are important for me. If the Shape Charge had those pockets and I could fit the Incinerator in the main bag, I would have my dream pack.

The side water bottle pockets on the Shape Charge aren’t useful to me, and are a major waste of space.

If the Shape Charge had zippered side pockets, I’d own one right now.

junior

WKR

Yeah I know he mentioned packing out a whole mule deer and 3 days of camp. I don’t see how that’s possible.

1 Colorado elk quarter- maybe. Bone out probably yes.
I tried an elk quarter bone in and failed last year- granted it was a eastern Montana mature bull that yielded 297 lbs after the butcher.

Rear quarter from that- not even close to getting zippers up to the second strap
Front quarter- maybe would have fit but the angle from front shoulder-elbow-hock with bone in made it so it wasn’t possible.
I got all the straps and burger meat- guessing 75-80 lbs and it carried very well.
Grabbed my framed Muskeg 7k for the next load for a rear bone in quarter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just decided to sell my Exo and move to a 357mag w/sherman pocket & medium belt pouch on the back to be a bit better for whitetail hunting in the stand.

Supposed to ship mid March. Can check back with pictures and feedback. I do see a few people say it doesn't have a "load shelf". It does have straps inside the pack right up against the internal frame that act as a "load shelf" for meat or at least that's my understanding of the pack.

I think we had the same plans haha. I am going for a similar set up. But my goal is to have the bag run double duty. I'm hoping its going to work for high country mule deer hunts where I'm hiking in heavy but then mostly in day bag mode for the next 7-10 days. I usually make 2 trips in, the first mostly being water and food and the second being whatever is left. On the way out, the water is all gone and the food is all gone so I can usually get my gear out split 50/50 with mule deer meat, in two trips.

For the second purpose, I am hoping to replace a mid size bag I use for family hikes. We will typically be gone for most of the daylight hours and with kids in toe, it helps to have a bag that's in the 3000-4000 range. Water + Filter for everyone, Diaper & Toiletries kit, Change of kids clothes, snacks, warmth layers, ground sheet, and a light weight foam pad for naps. None of its heavy, just takes up space.

I am going to try the bag + Sherman as set up 1. Then I am going to try the bag + large pocket as #2. And lastly I am going to try the bag + multiple pouches.

I am also currently messing around with a 14'r for comparisons.

I think we had the same plans haha. I am going for a similar set up. But my goal is to have the bag run double duty. I'm hoping its going to work for high country mule deer hunts where I'm hiking in heavy but then mostly in day bag mode for the next 7-10 days. I usually make 2 trips in, the first mostly being water and food and the second being whatever is left. On the way out, the water is all gone and the food is all gone so I can usually get my gear out split 50/50 with mule deer meat, in two trips.
Good to know I'm not the only one hoping to have a do it all bag. I feel pretty comfortable being able to do 7 days with 4,000 and water available. Went with the Sherman pocket on advice from Kifaru that it was the best large pocket to use for attaching my bow.

Have a little one on the way so who knows, maybe I'll be able to carry a kid in there some day too lol

Good to know I'm not the only one hoping to have a do it all bag. I feel pretty comfortable being able to do 7 days with 4,000 and water available. Went with the Sherman pocket on advice from Kifaru that it was the best large pocket to use for attaching my bow.

Have a little one on the way so who knows, maybe I'll be able to carry a kid in there some day too lol

Congrats!

I always bring my full frame and muskeg 7k just in case I need to do a monster sized pack in / out. I just leave it at the truck.

For me, if it wasnt for the fact I needed to carry in all my water, I could get by with the smaller sub 4500 bags.

My thought is that if I needed to push it, a guide lid, a large pocket, and a sherman pocket could get in the the higher volumes. But keeping my other frame at the truck also solves that issue real quick. Worst case I hike out and swap gear. I always have extra gear to include boots, clothes, backpack at the truck.

Last edited:
My thought is that if I needed to push it, a guide lid, a large pocket, and a sherman pocket could get in the the higher volumes. But keeping my other frame at the truck also solves that issue real quick. Worst case I hike out and swap gear. I always have extra gear to include boots, clothes, backpack at the truck.
I have lightweight dry bags that work great on the outside of packs if I ever need more space too. These packs have so many attachment points I'll put my food in one and just strap it to the bottom of the pack, or in this case it'll probably fit behind the sherman pocket.

I have lightweight dry bags that work great on the outside of packs if I ever need more space too. These packs have so many attachment points I'll put my food in one and just strap it to the bottom of the pack, or in this case it'll probably fit behind the sherman pocket.

Interesting. Ive used dry bags on the frame before (alone) with Stryker on the outside, or even on the load shelf (with muskeg on the outside) when I had to. I didn't think of doing that on the Sherman. I was going to use the Sherman in-between space as a area to put my puffy and rain jacket. Would be perfect to throw em in a dry bag. Thats a good idea.

What size dry bag you planning on for fitting it in the Sherman?

Update.

As for carrying weight, this bag is LEGIT! But I will say that for running without a full kit, so think day mode only, this bag was not that great. I actually preferred the 14'r. But The layout is awesome. I like the size, and the dedicated area's. The side pockets are awesome. Ive run a few different configs since getting my bag. I am running this and a 14'r to see what's what for my situation.

I will say that when doing "day" stuff, the bag carry's really bulky compared to the 14'r. I know there is a big difference in suspension and volume, but the 14'r with a Sherman for day hunting/scouting does an amazing job. IF I needed to bump up to some colder layers or carry more water and gear, its an easy transition to this bag. The layout is so much better on the 357 compared to the 14'r

Bridger - One thing I think I noticed on the 357 is that if you're looking at the back face of the bag you could possibly link the top, far right tension strap to the far left tension strap to shrink the bag down. That something that could help here for day mode with the 357?
Update.

As for carrying weight, this bag is LEGIT! But I will say that for running without a full kit, so think day mode only, this bag was not that great. I actually preferred the 14'r. But The layout is awesome. I like the size, and the dedicated area's. The side pockets are awesome. Ive run a few different configs since getting my bag. I am running this and a 14'r to see what's what for my situation.

Bridger - One thing I think I noticed on the 357 is that if you're looking at the back face of the bag you could possibly link the top, far right tension strap to the far left tension strap to shrink the bag down. That something that could help here for day mode with the 357?
I'll take have to add that to my try list. Ive been kinda playing around with different locations in the front to see what I can do. Really, the side pockets shrink down enough but my OCD doesn't like that its only in 2 spots. I ran the Sherman with 3 total straps and that did help a little. Ill try and get some pics so my terrible explanations make a little more sense haha.

Got my 357 in yesterday and got everything setup in what I consider day pack mode. Pretty excited to start putting this thing to use. A few things I'm still trying to figure out are how I want to carry climbing sticks, bow, platform for mobile hunting. I'm also unsure of if I want to keep the belt pouch and sherman pocket on the back face of the pack or not. I'm extremely impressed with the modularity this pack has. Any setup I dream up it seems I can make work with how easy it is to adjust the clips and buckles. I also found it to have a lot of space if I need to pack out a whitetail or carry a good amount of gear for longer backpacks while also packing down pretty small to be used as a day pack. Without the sherman pocket the bottom 3/4 of the pack can be compressed to about 2". Just my initial thoughts out of the box.
63597691269__C2389AB8-AA02-45C5-A370-448832A3F8CB.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Got my 357 in yesterday and got everything setup in what I consider day pack mode. Pretty excited to start putting this thing to use. A few things I'm still trying to figure out are how I want to carry climbing sticks, bow, platform for mobile hunting. I'm also unsure of if I want to keep the belt pouch and sherman pocket on the back face of the pack or not. I'm extremely impressed with the modularity this pack has. Any setup I dream up it seems I can make work with how easy it is to adjust the clips and buckles. I also found it to have a lot of space if I need to pack out a whitetail or carry a good amount of gear for longer backpacks while also packing down pretty small to be used as a day pack. Without the sherman pocket the bottom 3/4 of the pack can be compressed to about 2". Just my initial thoughts out of the box.
View attachment 268368
What size belt pouch is that above the Sherman pocket? Also it looks like the Sherman might get in the way of the side pouches when trying to load those up full?

I have all of the “Mag” series. Shapecharge, 22, 357, 44, and Ma Deuce.

They all have their place and I absolutely love them. My 357 is for hunts where I won’t need to carry heavy like turkeys or other birds. Very comfortable and rides perfect.

You won’t be disappointed.

Llama32

WKR
Classified Approved
For those of you who went with the 357 mag, how is it working out for your use? Size, layout, function, changes you would make, etc.

I am thinking of going with one for ladder stand late season whitetail as I like the layout and don't use climbers anymore due to my age. I need the main compartment for bulkier clothes at that time of year. your thoughts and experiences.
Did you ever end up getting this pack the 357 mag
If so what is the pack weight with nothing in it
I was just trying to figure it out compared to what the online site is I'm finding out that some of the weights are a little off or heavier

Llama32

WKR
Classified Approved
I I was just wondering what is the weight difference from the shape charge and the 357 mag

It looks like a lot of the online weights on kifaru are off by a little bit