Kifaru 357 Mag Feedback

Diesel

WKR
For those of you who went with the 357 mag, how is it working out for your use? Size, layout, function, changes you would make, etc.

I am thinking of going with one for ladder stand late season whitetail as I like the layout and don't use climbers anymore due to my age. I need the main compartment for bulkier clothes at that time of year. your thoughts and experiences.

For those of you who went with the 357 mag, how is it working out for your use? Size, layout, function, changes you would make, etc.

I am thinking of going with one for ladder stand late season whitetail as I like the layout and don't use climbers anymore due to my age. I need the main compartment for bulkier clothes at that time of year. your thoughts and experiences.
I would like to see some feedback on this as well.

junior

WKR
I have the 357 mag and Im a big fan. If youre midwest/eastern hunter and don't need a burly frame for 100+ pounds I think its a great option. My one concern would be if it is too big for your need. Will you be bringing it up in the treestand with you? Its a good size bag, I can hunt 3-4 days out of it including tent, sleeping bag, food, etc. If you can compress your Bulky clothes enough to make it, I think you may like a 22 mag, Stryker XL, or ShapeCharge. If youre not worried about size and dont need a load shelf/frame, 357 is awesome!

If you have more specific questions feel free to let me know. I also have a video in the '357 mag' thread where I played around with putting the bag on a duplex light frame. It doesn't sound like that's what youre after, but my video may give you an idea on size and such.

pc3

WKR
I ordered a 357 mag and a 14'r to try them both out and see what works for me. I will def post back on my thoughts between them. I have already received the 14'r and have a couple hikes under my belt.
Definitely interested to heare what you have to say on this.....I have a 44 mag, will buy a scout when available, but the 14R has intrigued me. I think it would be great for a day pack. Looks well layed out for spotter and tripod when thats about all you need to carry.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
Junior, You hit on one of my main concerns... size in the stand. I am sold on the layout because I have an old cabelas daypack that is layed out the same as the 357 and shape charge and does everything but is not big enough for late season clothes on below 10 degrees hunts. Think Incinerator stuff.

Shape charge is a more manageable size for up in the stand, but it doesn't appear big enough for Incinerator gear. Not sure there is an answer.

fatlander

WKR
Junior, You hit on one of my main concerns... size in the stand. I am sold on the layout because I have an old cabelas daypack that is layed out the same as the 357 and shape charge and does everything but is not big enough for late season clothes on below 10 degrees hunts. Think Incinerator stuff.

Shape charge is a more manageable size for up in the stand, but it doesn't appear big enough for Incinerator gear. Not sure there is an answer.

I can easily fit my fanatic in the shapecharge. Throw a Sherman/grab it/extra compression strap on the front and you can carry more clothes than you’d ever need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadler

WKR
I love mine. I use it at work almost everyday. Fits my BTX, rain gear, fleece, puffy, tripod, food, possibles pouch, and spare gloves with plenty of extra room. The side pockets are my favorite feature of it. I’m a huge fan of the Hoodlum and it has the same style pockets and they’re great for storing stuff ya might need in a hurry.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
Yeah the zippered side pockets are important for me. If the Shape Charge had those pockets and I could fit the Incinerator in the main bag, I would have my dream pack.

I ordered a 357 mag and a 14'r to try them both out and see what works for me. I will def post back on my thoughts between them. I have already received the 14'r and have a couple hikes under my belt.

If you don't mind, please post some images of both packs side-by-side, so we can see how they compare.

NDGuy

WKR
Yeah the zippered side pockets are important for me. If the Shape Charge had those pockets and I could fit the Incinerator in the main bag, I would have my dream pack.
So it doesn't have a load shelf at all?

junior

WKR
It doesn't have one? I was under the impression Kifaru bags all did.

The 357 mag does not. Internal frame bags won’t have a load shelf. That’s really a function of the external frame- duplex light, ultralight, tactical. On the website in the description it specifies if a particular bag has a load shelf or not I believe

NDGuy

WKR
The 357 mag does not. Internal frame bags won’t have a load shelf. That’s really a function of the external frame- duplex light, ultralight, tactical. On the website in the description it specifies if a particular bag has a load shelf or not I believe

I am a moron, I made no distinction that some of the bags were internal frames. I haven't checked into them too hard prior to the last few weeks so don't be too hard on me lol

If you don't mind, please post some images of both packs side-by-side, so we can see how they compare.

@goneoutside, Sure thing. Not sure when the mag will show up. They were both ordered around the same time but it sounds like Kifaru might be real behind. Last I looked the website said shipping was mid march.... Not sure if I am in that round or not.

But until then I am getting lots of time on the 14'r. Using it right now on daily hikes with the pups and camera gear. Been taking it on weekends with the fam also.

I am specifically NOT putting side pockets on this bag.

@goneoutside, Sure thing. Not sure when the mag will show up. They were both ordered around the same time but it sounds like Kifaru might be real behind. Last I looked the website said shipping was mid march.... Not sure if I am in that round or not.

But until then I am getting lots of time on the 14'r. Using it right now on daily hikes with the pups and camera gear. Been taking it on weekends with the fam also.

I am specifically NOT putting side pockets on this bag.

Thanks man.

The 14'r has been on my radar since it was released, but for whatever reason, I haven't picked one up.

Now the 357 is out, and it has my attention. A side by side comparison will help me with my decision.

🤷

Thanks man.

The 14'r has been on my radar since it was released, but for whatever reason, I haven't picked one up.

Now the 357 is out, and it has my attention. A side by side comparison will help me with my decision.

🤷

Yah I wish someone had done one. I was surprised that Kifaru did not. But my sneaking suspicion is that these bags are so similar in size, it may have impacted sales on one.

So far, the 14'r has been a great bag though. I have a mix of snow days and non snow days with it so far. Mostly I am carrying my fam's layers and snacks / water. I will say that the 14'r does NOT seem to like to much bulk towards the outsides. It really seems like the bag is not one for over stuffing or pushing its limits. But that is probably how kifaru designed it anyways. Fast and light.

Just decided to sell my Exo and move to a 357mag w/sherman pocket & medium belt pouch on the back to be a bit better for whitetail hunting in the stand.

Supposed to ship mid March. Can check back with pictures and feedback. I do see a few people say it doesn't have a "load shelf". It does have straps inside the pack right up against the internal frame that act as a "load shelf" for meat or at least that's my understanding of the pack.

junior

WKR
Just decided to sell my Exo and move to a 357mag w/sherman pocket & medium belt pouch on the back to be a bit better for whitetail hunting in the stand.

Supposed to ship mid March. Can check back with pictures and feedback. I do see a few people say it doesn't have a "load shelf". It does have straps inside the pack right up against the internal frame that act as a "load shelf" for meat or at least that's my understanding of the pack.

That sounds like a good set up and you’re correct, there are internal straps for lashing stuff against the frame which is really nice. Just might not be able he-man it and pack out a whole deer like you could with the extra space of a load shelf. Not a concern with most whitetail guys I know