Kifaru 357 Mag

wyodan

WKR
Who's using this pack, and how do you like it? I am interested in seeing pics of the set ups as well. I now have some animals, so I am no longer worried about having a frame and a large pack. Thanks.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
I want to bump this back up, I'm looking for some feedback on this. I would like to replace the old Late Season, and would enjoy hearing from those who have this pack.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
Mine is on the truck for delivery today. Psyched to get home and check it out
I'd sure like to see some pics and thoughts on the pack. There's just not much out there through the Google for pictures of this one. It seems like the main bag and top pockets would be bigger than the 14'r, but specs are saying otherwise. I wish it had slot pockets instead of the zippered side pockets, but I seem to be in the minority on that.

Extremely long day at work. I was only able to open the box and verify everything was there. Hopefully I can snap a few pictures and write down a few thoughts in the next couple days.

wysongdog

WKR
Crazy question. This is the pack I’ve been looking at my brother bought a kifaru pack this summer. So he contacted them asking their recommendations for me since I hunt off ponies all the time. They recommended the 357.

I was able to unbox my 357 tonight. I installed a large and medium pouch on the front face of the bag and two small ones on the belt. Along with a nalgene bottle holder on the left side of the belt. Initial impressions are the pack is absolutely awesome. I hope to load it up for 30 to 40 lb maybe Friday night and take a walk and see how it carries. I will get some pictures and more impressions once I get the strap it on.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
I was able to unbox my 357 tonight. I installed a large and medium pouch on the front face of the bag and two small ones on the belt. Along with a nalgene bottle holder on the left side of the belt. Initial impressions are the pack is absolutely awesome. I hope to load it up for 30 to 40 lb maybe Friday night and take a walk and see how it carries. I will get some pictures and more impressions once I get the strap it on.
That would be awesome! I'd appreciate the insight.

I was able to put things together. The belt I have a small pouch on each side plus I have the nalgene holder on the left side next to the small pouch. On the front face I have a medium pouch and a large pouch. Nothing in there at the time. Something that can be removed in a second or installed in a second. I do have a universal gun holder which I will use as well. I was unsure about the zip side pockets as opposed to open side pockets. However, they are fairly spacious. It does exactly what I needed to do. Which is hold my carbon fiber tripod with a video ball head on it. I will find something even the load for the other side. Tonight I just threw 30 lb in it and did a quick 2 miles. It arrived to me almost perfect. I just had to adjust the shoulder straps about a half an inch. I think without a doubt this is my favorite Kifaru ever (This is my 16th Kifaru). It seems to be the perfect pack between a big day and external frame. Possibly the perfect for me as I live in New York. I do not Western hunt or haul meat. Though with a 24-in frame this could definitely haul meat inside though. It does have two internal webbing straps to hold a load like meat directly against the back of the pack. That's a nice feature to keep something heavy stabilized against your back. It does have multiple height adjustments for the load lifters which is awesome. This will be my predator hunting bag, weekend hiking bag, and plenty of room for a weekend get away. Basically I do everything for my needs. Depending on weather. Hopefully I can get out a little more this weekend and the weeks to come.

I'm not quite sure what the excessive amount of webbing handles are for? But I guess that's nit picking

Attachments

• PXL_20210806_234839170.jpg
    PXL_20210806_234839170.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 202
  • PXL_20210807_002239661.jpg
    PXL_20210807_002239661.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 203
  • PXL_20210807_002051108.jpg
    PXL_20210807_002051108.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 201
  • PXL_20210807_002045365.jpg
    PXL_20210807_002045365.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 209
  • PXL_20210807_002026201.jpg
    PXL_20210807_002026201.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
@hammer0419 looks sweet! Pretty much what I'm looking for in an everyday pack. Have you had any of the other Kifaru daypacks? Like a 14'r or Spike Camp? I'm wondering how the main bag size compares to those. That setup does look sweet.

I had multiple spike camps and late seasons. Though I did use it for several years. I did not care for the spike camp because the opening It was just way too small. The late season was nice But lacked all the modern design and upgrades. I actually have Patrick Smith's original personal spike camp. I used to talk with him monthly. Begging him for things like pockets for organization and such. Patrick was a pioneer and a great man. But he was set in his ways with a very simplified pack. Kudos to Aaron for bringing Kifaru into the 21st century. The 357 is basically everything I've ever wanted. I love the full opening of the pack It makes packing and access 1000 times better than a top load. It does have excessive Molle But that just gives you more options. Like I said in my post the only nitpick thing is the half dozen handles on it?? I liked my late season. But again top load I was not a fan of. This is just on a whole new level. For me personally It's hard to call this a day pack? It's a very big day pack to me. But the great thing is it compresses to nothing!!!

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
Does this seem as big as the Late Season? The same things you mentioned about the Spike Camp and Late Season are the same things I've disliked about them.

So it’s similar to the Tarryall in size? In between the Spike Camp and Late Season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't even remember how big the late season was? I originally just ordered a shape charge but returned it in favor of something a little bigger. 357 is definitely a huge improvement in that department. I could easily do three to four days out of it.

So volume wise the late season main bag is bigger. But you have the two side pockets on the 357 and so much molle webbing. It's easy to add a lot of volume with accessories. I'm not a fan of the top load only packs. For me they would be great if we were hiking one straight distance and dumping everything. But being able to have access to pretty much every part of the pack at any time is a huge plus for me.

Last edited:
This pack gets better every time out. Had 42lbs in it late last night. Decided to do 3 miles around the development in the dark. So sick of the hot weather. It was nice out last night and could not pass up a walk.