Kifaru 357 Mag

BAKPAKR

WKR
I guess it depends if you are going to have to pack it out? If I was packing out a moose, I would want something like the Striker XL if day hunting.

I have a Shape Charge and really like it for day hikes and some of my shooting matches. Sometimes it's a little small which is why I'm adding the 357 mag to my collection.
@gunrush128, I don’t have any experience with the 357 Mag, but, like Justin, I think the Stryker XL will be perfect for day hunts for elk/moose size game. Unless my brother draws a sheep tag, I plan on testing that theory out this fall. I added a Sherman pocket to mine.

42F8CD29-E3D3-42CB-BF7A-89646DB75918.jpeg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Pack worked great for my match on Saturday.

20220212132301_IMG_7197 (1).JPG

I also took it for a 4.5 mile hike this morning. I'm looking forward to using it more for summer backpacking trips.

20220213092922_IMG_7206.JPG

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks for the photos and update. I ended up picking one up (thanks for costing me money haha). Do you by chance still have a Sherman you could throw on there? My plan is to attach the blaze orange Sherman to the pack, but I'm worried about the side pockets being blocked by the attachment points up top.

I'm thinking with the Sherman pocket, maybe a medium belt pouch, and 357 mag capacity I'll be able to get about 5+ days worth of food and gear in there? I don't use a tent, just a tarp and my very compressible WM sleeping bag.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the photos and update. I ended up picking one up (thanks for costing me money haha). Do you by chance still have a Sherman you could throw on there? My plan is to attach the blaze orange Sherman to the pack, but I'm worried about the side pockets being blocked by the attachment points up top.

I'm thinking with the Sherman pocket, maybe a medium belt pouch, and 357 mag capacity I'll be able to get about 5+ days worth of food and gear in there? I don't use a tent, just a tarp and my very compressible WM sleeping bag.
I actually just traded my Shape Charge and Sherman away.

Viper*6

FNG
I've been on the fence between the Shape Charge and the 357 pack. I have a long torso so the Shape Charge has always been a question of being too short and not fitting correctly. I've had problems with other packs as well. This thread and photos have really help me in my decision making. I will be ordering a 357 pack very soon.

Shopping on the internet is always hard. I would rather go into a store and see all the packs and try them on for size and comparison. If I lived in Colorado near Kifaru I could do that.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I've been on the fence between the Shape Charge and the 357 pack. I have a long torso so the Shape Charge has always been a question of being too short and not fitting correctly. I've had problems with other packs as well. This thread and photos have really help me in my decision making. I will be ordering a 357 pack very soon.

Shopping on the internet is always hard. I would rather go into a store and see all the packs and try them on for size and comparison. If I lived in Colorado near Kifaru I could do that.
I also have a long torso, plus the higher capacity out of the 357 Mag is really attractive to me. You'll love getting used to utilizing the zippered side pockets for quick access items... My tripod fits in one side pocket, my lightweight chair in the other, and 15 power binos in the Sherman pocket (this is how I used it on my Ma Deuce which is the same pack design just larger). I can have pack off and be glassing, seated and comfortable from a tripod in about 45 seconds.

Not sure if this video helps to better show off the size of the 357 or not, but figured I'd share it incase it does.

In the video, the pack is being worn with a gun bearer attached.

GIS

Lil-Rokslider

I have sherman pocket. Here are some pictures with my tripod in one side pocket and spotting scope in the other. There are two attachment points one set is at the bottom of the bag and the other about a third of the way up.

Bottom attachment points:
lower_front.jpg
lower_side_resized.jpg

I use the lower attachment points and the upper straps go around the side pocket. If I need in my side pockets I just unzip the top and pull out what I need (usually spotting scope or tripod).

Upper attachement points:
upper_front.jpgupper_side_resized.jpg

I've only set it up this way for pictures but haven't needed to use it this way in the field. This way the upper straps can be connected to the top of the frame and are above the side pockets.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have sherman pocket. Here are some pictures with my tripod in one side pocket and spotting scope in the other. There are two attachment points one set is at the bottom of the bag and the other about a third of the way up.

Bottom attachment points:
View attachment 394575
View attachment 394577

I use the lower attachment points and the upper straps go around the side pocket. If I need in my side pockets I just unzip the top and pull out what I need (usually spotting scope or tripod).

Upper attachement points:
View attachment 394576View attachment 394578

I've only set it up this way for pictures but haven't needed to use it this way in the field. This way the upper straps can be connected to the top of the frame and are above the side pockets.
You’re a hero, this is exactly what I was hoping to see. Thanks a bunch!

Dobermann

WKR
Pack worked great for my match on Saturday.

View attachment 380690

I also took it for a 4.5 mile hike this morning. I'm looking forward to using it more for summer backpacking trips.

View attachment 380691
Justin - have you used it to carry your comp tripod? If so, how did the length of the side pocket work out for you?

Of course, this will depend on the collapsed height of different tripods; one thing I'm wondering is, if the tripod doesn't fit in the side pocket (as in your second photo), do the zips stay closed under movement, so the pocket doesn't flop open?

I'm currently running a Gen 1 22 Mag for field comps, but the open-topped pockets can get a bit sloppy.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin - have you used it to carry your comp tripod? If so, how did the length of the side pocket work out for you?

Of course, this will depend on the collapsed height of different tripods; one thing I'm wondering is, if the tripod doesn't fit in the side pocket (as in your second photo), do the zips stay closed under movement, so the pocket doesn't flop open?

I'm currently running a Gen 1 22 Mag for field comps, but the open-topped pockets can get a bit sloppy.
I haven't carried my big tripod with it yet.

That's my Gitzo tripod in the photo. No issues with the pocket flopping. The upper strap keeps everything snug but I didn't even have it buckled on that hike and still no issue.