Kifaru 357 mag

Does anybody know why Kifaru has a sudden resurgence in internal framed packs?

I could ge wrong, I think most squad type military guys like internal.
Cost, size etc. I'm sure drives it.

That said I'd like a 26 mag, aka long 22 mag
And something between the 44 and ma deuce.
Sure I could make a 44 work buy adding pockets.
Just not my style.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I too wanted something between the 44 and ma duece but went with the duece since i hunt 2nd rifle a lot and need room for heavier clothes. Also prefer not adding pockets.

junior

WKR
Agreed. Seems to me the Mag series is made to be modular and add stuff. If you want a big feature full pack there’s quite a few other good options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junior

WKR
Me too. I was originally bummed about it being internal frame. Other than price, I’m glad now. If it can legitimately still haul 80 lb at only 4.5 lb, it’s gonna be a sick day/short hunt pack. Plus it will work for my wife to use for summer hiking trips. I can’t freaking wait.

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Me too. I was originally bummed about it being internal frame. Other than price, I’m glad now. If it can legitimately still haul 80 lb at only 4.5 lb, it’s gonna be a sick day/short hunt pack. Plus it will work for my wife to use for summer hiking trips. I can’t freaking wait.

that’s actually what drew me toward it. Being internal framed, I don’t need another frame to pair with it so it will be a great extra pack for when a buddy wants to come backpacking for the weekend and doesn’t have a pack.
The size is perfect for 2-4 day summer backpacking trips, and it’ll be great for deer hunting, with enough backbone built in to pack deer out with.

Joshs74

FNG
I ordered one, and I already have a sherman. That combo should be perfect for me. Mostly day hunts and occasional 3 or 4 day hunts. I like the internal frame with the duplex straps and belt. An 80 lb capacity is great, and a good amount of weight for a guy that only hunts or backpacks a handful of times a year. Can’t wait!

Joshs74

FNG
Got mine a few days ago. I like it. Bigger than expected, and it’s well laid out. I had my daughter stand in it (79lbs) and it carried her really well. I’ll likely not have more than 50 ish in it, so It should be very comfortable.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hiking 5 days a week with this pack in October and I think it is the best internal frame pack yet from Kifaru. I've had the Late Season, Siwash, KU 3700, Marauder, Timberline, Timberline 2, and a Tarryall and the 357 Mag is better than all of them. I like the bag layout and suspension better than the other packs.

I've not tried it with an omni belt but I don't see any reason why it would have issues.

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feed back. Anyone have a pic of one "compressed" into day pack mode? Just trying to get a feel for the size.

junior

WKR
I ended up throwing together a quick video after I’ve tinkered with it a little and put it on a duplex light frame. It’s not perfect but I think it could be serviceable.

I haven’t done much on YouTube so I apologize for the quality, no audio, and no explanation. I had a longer write up in the description under the video. Happy to answer any questions.

I’m really happy with using the muskeg7k for ‘expedition’ hunts and late season- I made it to AK for sheep fun and it performed incredibly in rain. Then used it for rifle hunting in November in the snow in MT. Used the 357 as internal frame for September elk and really liked it. Hauled the initial load on 2 elk and was really impressed how good 70 lb felt. I did end up using the muskeg for multiple load hauls since it was on my duplex light frame in September as we knocked down a few and for hauling 100+ lb loads I want a real frame!

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
That's one way of doing it! Just a heads up, the bottom of the bag is the last thing to go on and that means that the lumbar pad casing is only stitched in there with a .375" of fabric (multiple stitch lines, but only .375" of fabric) and .75" webbing on the connection points instead of 1". If you put a serious load on that thing, it might pop on you. Our Meat shelves are reinforced so that they can take that load w/o ripping out. You could probably haul camp no problem but if you stick 70+ pounds on that repeatedly, you'll get interesting results over time.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up throwing together a quick video after I’ve tinkered with it a little and put it on a duplex light frame. It’s not perfect but I think it could be serviceable.

I haven’t done much on YouTube so I apologize for the quality, no audio, and no explanation. I had a longer write up in the description under the video. Happy to answer any questions.

I’m really happy with using the muskeg7k for ‘expedition’ hunts and late season- I made it to AK for sheep fun and it performed incredibly in rain. Then used it for rifle hunting in November in the snow in MT. Used the 357 as internal frame for September elk and really liked it. Hauled the initial load on 2 elk and was really impressed how good 70 lb felt. I did end up using the muskeg for multiple load hauls since it was on my duplex light frame in September as we knocked down a few and for hauling 100+ lb loads I want a real frame!

Hi Junior. Thanks for showing this. It is interesting. I understand what Mr Bender said about it not being designed for this, but do see the utility in it. By chance, do you know what the bag weighs after you take the belt, lumbar pad and frame off of it? Just kinda curious. Thank you. -Rufus.

junior

WKR
Thanks for the view, Bender! I was hoping I’d get some input from the Mothership. I have no delusions of it being perfect and yes I kinda felt looking at it I definitely wouldn’t want a full load in that ‘shelf’ without reinforcement. If I were to be serious about trying this with a quarter plus camp I think I would be bringing several extra compression straps- 2 for the bottom, several up the sides, and obviously 2 on top as the ‘bridge straps’. What I love so much about the Mag’s as well as the Duplex light specifically with more loops on the frame- attachment points everywhere!

I do not know weight after pulling the ‘internal frame, I could try to get a number for you next time I put it back together on the internal frame .

Thanks guys

Thanks for the view, Bender! I was hoping I’d get some input from the Mothership. I have no delusions of it being perfect and yes I kinda felt looking at it I definitely wouldn’t want a full load in that ‘shelf’ without reinforcement. If I were to be serious about trying this with a quarter plus camp I think I would be bringing several extra compression straps- 2 for the bottom, several up the sides, and obviously 2 on top as the ‘bridge straps’. What I love so much about the Mag’s as well as the Duplex light specifically with more loops on the frame- attachment points everywhere!

I do not know weight after pulling the ‘internal frame, I could try to get a number for you next time I put it back together on the internal frame .

Thanks guys

Junior, bringing back an old post.

Are you able to connect the 357 bag up tight to an external frame? The I'm thinking to use the 357 with a frame to take a little more load at times in the main bag.

junior

WKR
It is decent but not perfectly snug especially at the top since the frame doesn’t sit inside a Squadron sleeve as intended. I do think it would still be fairly strong though if secured well with K clips or buckles.

My thought was actually to get a Quarter panel to secure the load to the frame when I get an animal down, then secure the 357 behind the load. Unfortunately they discontinued the quarter panel. I may get a cargo net and try the same thing.