Kifaru 44 Mag Pack: Pros and Cons?

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
So I am curious as to who hunted this year with the 44 mag from Kifaru. I am back and forth between that and the new Ma Deuce! Mine would be used for archery mule deer and elk, normally it would be 5-7 days before coming out. Curious as to what pouches you ran and how the setup worked. Thanks in advance!

So I am curious as to who hunted this year with the 44 mag from Kifaru. I am back and forth between that and the new Ma Deuce! Mine would be used for archery mule deer and elk, normally it would be 5-7 days before coming out. Curious as to what pouches you ran and how the setup worked. Thanks in advance!

The Sherman, guide lid, 2 large pouches on the back and a small pouch on the belt. Was perfect for me.

OP
Nickb_00

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I had planned on running either 2 larges or 1 along with a claymore. Didn't think about both larges and a Sherman.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sherman and a large belt pouch on the pack and a medium xpac and a maxpedition xbp water bottle pouch on the hipbelt.

carrying a small drybag with food on the meatshelf is an easy way to extend to trips in the 10-14 day range, or if your gear is on the bulkier side to extend your trip proportionately.

on a long trip after a few days everything would fit back inside the main bag if it didn’t from the get go.

OP
Nickb_00

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
Food was my main concern. Most of my gear is on the smaller side except for my vortex spotter, which I think will fit fine in the side pocket. I like the idea of a dry bag on the meat shelf on the way in to help free up some space. Thanks for the input!

LJ Buck

WKR
Just use a Native attached on the outside for food and medium pouch for small items.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Ive run mine this year with either a med and large belt pouch or a sherman and med belt pouch, both of which work well. If i was looking to extend the range a bit more id be looking at the new large compression pocket for sure.

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody have any pics of this thing loaded out for 5-7 days...and please add if that is early season or late season.

I've got a cavern right now with OGL...really looking to get a little more internally organized with the 44 mag and maybe a sherman.

WTFJohn

WKR
44 Mag/Bane/Grab-It on a 5 day October mulie hunt in pic 1. I packed for comfort, not UL on this trip (SO Med stove, Tenkara rod, spotter, Helios One, woobie, etc...) I'm a big fan of the clamshell design on the 44Mag/similar, and really like the Bane as a daypack on the frame (see pics 2 & 3). I have a Sherman and misc med and large pockets that I swap in and out as needed/wanted (see pics 2 & 3).

Some of the new pockets look interesting, a stop at Kifaru is in the cards before next summer to see some of the new offerings.

IMG_4552.JPG
uJwaxnuBQPOdQ2Zw7r6VTw.jpghOeEsJdoST+8Td7pWvRIwA.jpg

Vandy321

WKR
Thx john...pretty versatile setup! I assume it's a yes, but can you fit an elk quarter inside the main bag?

WTFJohn

WKR
Yeah you can; I prefer to carry an extra strap or two though and use the meat shelf to keep my gear separated from the game bags. I like where the meat shelf puts the weight on my back vs being able to ride all the way down in the bag.