Kifaru 44 mag?

B.Hill

FNG
hi guys , I am looking at buying my first bigger pack,
I live on a station (ranch) in central Australia and mainly bowhunt goats and pigs, but I am looking at doing some hunts for sambar and also camel so these may be 3-6 days, most of my hunting is just day hunts, but I am keen to get into the whole backpack hunting.

I want a pack that could do a 5-6 day hunt but still be able to compress down for day hunts if needed.
I am nearly sold on the 44 Mag, just wondering if it might be to big, though I suppose its better to have the room and not need it …..
Rain isn't a huge problem out here but I was wondering how waterproof the kifaru packs are, and if I need to worry about a rain cover?
I am mainly looking at the kifaru stuff, I haven't heard too many bad things about their stuff other than price, but I don't mind paying for quality.

also with the fitting I am 5'10 weigh about 180 with a 32" waist and 34" inseam. not sure what size frame I should get.

cheers Bodie

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I tried on a Kifaru pack a buddy bought last year that cost me some money. This year I went with the 44mag with duplex frame kinda on a whim. I have never been happier. We were planning a 2 week back country archery hunt so at the beginning of the season I started using it as a day pack. Weather I’m ten minutes or ten miles from my pickup I don’t use any other pack. It is awesome. When it is empty it compresses down nicely, feels nothing like a traditional pack board. I feel it is a best of both worlds to make a overall one size fits pack. With all my normal gear I was able to fit my wife’s black tail deer in it quartered for one heavy pack out. I would not have been able to do that with any other gear I’ve used. As far as water tight a light rain it does ok. I live in Oregon needs a cover. I got a pack cover off amazon for ten bucks that keeps it dry. I have spent a lot of money on gear and my pack has hands down been best investment.

tdot

WKR
44mag is a great pack for 5-6 days, especially without cold weather gear. It's not super waterproof. fine for a light mist, quick shower or some morning dew, but if you're talking extended or heavy rain, you'll need a rain cover.

I have two complaints on the 44mag.First is the lower two sets of horizontal compression straps, I wish theyd compress at the Pals matrix, not at the frame, similar to the top straps. Second is day pack mode, its not amazing at this. I've had other big bags that compress down way better and you barely noticed the size. With the stiffness of the Pals matrix and layout of the compression straps, I havent found an awesome day pack mode. The pockets and organization make it bearable, but not ideal.

I'm a bit taller and lighter then you. I went 24" frame, long shoulder straps and small belt. I had a 24" frame and medium belt on my last frame, I think that was a better fit overall for me. I

Block

WKR
44mag is a great pack for 5-6 days, especially without cold weather gear. It's not super waterproof. fine for a light mist, quick shower or some morning dew, but if you're talking extended or heavy rain, you'll need a rain cover.

I have two complaints on the 44mag.First is the lower two sets of horizontal compression straps, I wish theyd compress at the Pals matrix, not at the frame, similar to the top straps. Second is day pack mode, its not amazing at this. I've had other big bags that compress down way better and you barely noticed the size. With the stiffness of the Pals matrix and layout of the compression straps, I havent found an awesome day pack mode. The pockets and organization make it bearable, but not ideal.

I'm a bit taller and lighter then you. I went 24" frame, long shoulder straps and small belt. I had a 24" frame and medium belt on my last frame, I think that was a better fit overall for me. I

First thing I did was cut those straps off my 44mag! I think they are pretty
Lame. I prefer how the straps on the 22mag are not sewn into the bag... other than that I like it a lot. (Although I still prefer
My 22mag for day hunts...

Spotnstok

FNG
Lame. I prefer how the straps on the 22mag are not sewn into the bag... other than that I like it a lot. (Although I still prefer
IF you didn’t have the 22mag already, would you still buy one, or does the 44mag compress down enough for day use on a continual basis? It looks like the bags are only 8oz difference, unless I wanted to use a taller/heavier frame with the 44 and shorter/lighter with the 22.
Thoughts please?

tdot

WKR

Totally agree. Mine were cut off on day 2!

Block

WKR
IF you didn’t have the 22mag already, would you still buy one, or does the 44mag compress down enough for day use on a continual basis? It looks like the bags are only 8oz difference, unless I wanted to use a taller/heavier frame with the 44 and shorter/lighter with the 22.
Thoughts please?

I’m in love with the 22mag,,. So that’s a Tuf question,,, originally I bought the 44 thinking I’d start using that almost strictly,,, and the 22 would become a shed hunting pack or something..,, but if I’m not bringing camping gear,,, 22mag is my GoTo. Can easily fit a whole DeBoned deer + glass/spotter a jacket snacks and all my other stuff I bring.. and that’s without even using the meat shelf... if you add a tent/bag/pad cold weather gear,, you’ll definitely want the extra space of the 44mag. If I didn’t have the 22,,, I think I’d be totally happy with the 44 for day hunts + multi day like you described. It does compress down decently and has a nice layout

Spotnstok

FNG
I’m in love with the 22mag,,. So that’s a Tuf question,,, originally I bought the 44 thinking I’d start using that almost strictly,,, and the 22 would become a shed hunting pack or something..,, but if I’m not bringing camping gear,,, 22mag is my GoTo. Can easily fit a whole DeBoned deer + glass/spotter a jacket snacks and all my other stuff I bring.. and that’s without even using the meat shelf... if you add a tent/bag/pad cold weather gear,, you’ll definitely want the extra space of the 44mag. If I didn’t have the 22,,, I think I’d be totally happy with the 44 for day hunts + multi day like you described. It does compress down decently and has a nice layout
Thanks for the feedback. I’m a gear nut, but also on a tight budget. The 44mag looks as close to a well organized do-all as Kifaru has made in a long time. And I’m tall enough that 24” frame makes the most sense, which further supports my interest in the 44mag.

OP
B

B.Hill

FNG
Thanks for the info guys, I ended up ordering a 44 mag. Now the wait begins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowuntr

WKR
I got my 44 mag for a Kodiak hunt and love it. I packed out 3 deer with gear no problem. The front loading and zippers work wonderful. Now my primary pack. Ed F

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up my Kifaru 44mag last week!! 830.00 I hope to make it a bloody mess this fall!! Now just to clairify i also had to get the light frame and a few pockets as well. Qty Product Unit Price Ext Price Status 1 44 Mag (4,400 ci / 72 L Bag only) 44 Mag (4,400 ci / 72 L Bag only) Color: Coyote Brown $284.00 $284.00 Not Ready 1 Duplex Lite/Ultralite Frames Duplex Lite/Ultralite Frames Duplex Lite/Ultralight: Duplex Frame Lite 1/8"; Frame Length: 26"; Shoulder Strap Length: Long (18" Torso or longer); Belt Size: Medium (34" - 38" waist); Belt/Shoulder Strap Color: Coyote Brown (Height: 6'2"; Weight: 220; Waist Size: 38; Inseam: 36; Back Profile: Normal) $350.00 $350.00 Not Ready 1 Sherman Pocket Sherman Pocket Color: Multicam $100.00 $100.00 Not Ready 1 Belt Pouch Belt Pouch Color Choice: Multicam; Size: Small $35.00 $35.00 Not Ready Subtotal $769.00.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider

The wait was painful. Luckily mine showed up night before season opened. I waited way to long to talk myself into ordering.

aussieJT

FNG

Hey mate- how much did this end up costing you shipped to Aus? Did you get stung with import fees?

OP
B

B.Hill

FNG
All up it cost me $1089.12 delivered to my door, luckily didn’t get any import fees but the postage was pretty steep.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used the 44mag and/or one of the larger Muskegs? Been torn between the 2 on which to get.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
So I bought a 44 mag this year and so far I am loving it! I was running a Timberline 2 with a guide lid and was afraid i may not have enough room but the 44 has plenty of options! Now if you are planning on a extended solo trip during late season it could get a little tight with cold weather gear. My current set up is a claymore on the bottom and a E&E above that hold's my kill kit, wet wipes, first aid kit. Biggest reason i switched was I'm not a fan of everything in one big compartment. The 44 have just enough pockets on the inside to keep things separate. Biggest complaint I have heard is it does not compress well down for day mode, but personally I dont it is any worse than my DT2 was.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
So I bought a 44 mag this year and so far I am loving it! I was running a Timberline 2 with a guide lid and was afraid i may not have enough room but the 44 has plenty of options! Now if you are planning on a extended solo trip during late season it could get a little tight with cold weather gear. My current set up is a claymore on the bottom and a E&E above that hold's my kill kit, wet wipes, first aid kit. Biggest reason i switched was I'm not a fan of everything in one big compartment. The 44 have just enough pockets on the inside to keep things separate. Biggest complaint I have heard is it does not compress well down for day mode, but personally I dont it is any worse than my DT2 was.

See, I just have a old 5.11 bag I got on sale from wally world I use and all the extra pockets and compartments is annoying/dirty. Pain in the ass to clean. I've ''lost'' several knives in pockets that show up a year or two later. Am I right thinking the Muskeg is almost like a duffel bag with a top opening and the zipper? I'd rather have a few pouches to store my food/kill kit/first aid/etc, and then have the clothes and sleeping bag/tarp stuffed in the bottom.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it is more like a duffel bag. Now the even though the 44 has both a zipper pocket and slash mesh pocket on the inside I still run the ultra light pullouts. I have a large for clothes such as extra pair of socks, tee shirt, underwear and a long sleeve. Same goes with food. XL pullout hold's my food in ziploc bags for the days. Then when i get to where I'm going to camp all those can easily be pulled out and left in camp. I have the E&E rigged up so that if I'm archery hunting and need to make a final approach with out my pack I can detach and still have everything I need to take care of a animal. Basically it has the best of both worlds in my opinion.