Kifaru 44 mag

Well that’s interesting ,,, becuz both mine and my friends 44mag had a super
Short water bladder pouch that started higher than the middle of the bag.,, a standard 3 liter would not fit.. and either way the placement just seemed like it was asking to make the bag top heavy if you were packing real lite for a day hike
You are correct it is a short bag itself, but the bladder sits partially outside of this. I hang my bladder off the loop at the very top of the bag bully passing that webbing loop through the hanger hole in my bladder and running a piece of 550 cord through the webbing with a knot at each end, that visually resembles a dogbone. My standard length bladder sits perfect from top of bag to bottom of the bladder pocket.

Block

WKR
You are correct it is a short bag itself, but the bladder sits partially outside of this. I hang my bladder off the loop at the very top of the bag bully passing that webbing loop through the hanger hole in my bladder and running a piece of 550 cord through the webbing with a knot at each end, that visually resembles a dogbone. My standard length bladder sits perfect from top of bag to bottom of the bladder pocket.

Ok yeah that makes sense.. Maybe I’m just partial to the design of My old 22mag with the pouch all the way down to bottom,, but I can also see how the higher bladder would make more “bottom” space in the pack for big bulky things (like ur sleeping bag)

Ok yeah that makes sense.. Maybe I’m just partial to the design of My old 22mag with the pouch all the way down to bottom,, but I can also see how the higher bladder would make more “bottom” space in the pack for big bulky things (like ur sleeping bag)
The weight being where it is, is ideal in an external frame pack. It carries very well. Yeah there’s enough height in the pack that it’s beneficial to have the bladder accessible without removing stuff off the top of it if you want to refill. I wish there was an attachment method provided with the pack. I made the simple dogbone but if you used a carabiner it would drop the bladder too far down. It works well as it is though.
The mesh pockets inside are great. I kinda wish the side pockets were a little wider but they fit my tent ok, split with poles and stakes in one side and the tent and fly in the other.

oldhorse

WKR
Yeah I watched my friend have to stop every time he wanted a drink becuz that quick disconnect had popped out and
Needed to be fixed... that pouch on the 44 is too short.. I still bet that short wide pouch sticks up out the top of it
Yeah, that would suck! I haven't had any trouble with mine.

Bringing up an old thread - would you recommend a large and medium belt pouch for the pack, or a claymore and medium belt pouch? or would you use a sherman pocket instead and add a large/medium belt pouch? I am trying to think of ways to modify my 44 mag for additional space.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I run a claymore on the bottom and a large pocket above that. This past season I also ran a sherman over both of those as well. I kept cook kit in the claymore and kill kit in the sherman along with a few smaller like wetwipes and mountain money. My large pocket I would keep my down puffy in. Kept things easily accessible without needing to get in the main bag.

Vandy321

WKR
Just sold a 44 mag a few weeks back. For all you ounce counters, just a heads up...for a 44 mag, tactical frame (24"), a med belt pocket, nalgene holder and a Sherman pocket, the total weight is 10 lbs 6 oz empty.

Also, found it less than ideal to strap a bow or rifle to the pack using the Sherman. Highly recommend getting some extra compression straps and using that to secure the riser to the bag

Nothing against the pack, it was solid as a rock, pretty comfortable under load, and no doubt would last years. Just a little heavier than I wanted to deal with.