Kifaru 44 mag

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to pick one of these up with some external pouches along the bag for organization and was curious how everyone runs there’s with the external pouches and still able to fit a bow strapped on when not in use? If you have pics would love to see them.

mt100gr.

WKR
Unless you need the extra volume, I'd skip the external pouches. 44mag has a lot of built in organization.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with mt100gr. I have a medium pocket on the bottom of mine to put the bottom wheel of bow or gun stock it. No other externals.

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
The pouches were for more space essentially for smaller items. I’m coming from a metcalf and love the simplicity of that bag, but decided to switch to kifaru after some issues with the metcalf and the frustration of not having a little more smaller external storage. the 44 mag seems similar in size with just more organization available. A medium pocket will be going on the backside of the bag near the bottom. Just wasn’t sure if a bow would run vertically with it down there.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
It helps to have a couple extra straps attached to the open loops on the frame to secure your bow.

bruno59

WKR
I just use a small or medium belt pouch like aluminum rain does with a extra strap across the bag i just did 4 days in mine and had some extra room winter clothing might take up a lot more room

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys think you can get 3-4 nights out of this pack without going all barebones?

while I’ve ordered 44mag and waiting to receive it the only experience I have is with my metcalf. From what I can tell both are similar in overall size/volume and going to the 44 mag for the ability to customize it and additional organization. last year I was able to do 10 days worth of gear packed into the metcalf/lid with only my trekking poles and bugle tube on the outside for early seasOnColorado archery elk. I also didn’t what if myself on anything and only brought extra socks/underwear and exactly what I needed to get by.

Kotaman

WKR
while I’ve ordered 44mag and waiting to receive it the only experience I have is with my metcalf. From what I can tell both are similar in overall size/volume and going to the 44 mag for the ability to customize it and additional organization. last year I was able to do 10 days worth of gear packed into the metcalf/lid with only my trekking poles and bugle tube on the outside for early seasOnColorado archery elk. I also didn’t what if myself on anything and only brought extra socks/underwear and exactly what I needed to get by.

The 44 Mag seems/feels a bit bigger than the Metcalf. It also feels bigger than my SG 5900. I think companies are all over the board how they measure these things. Kifaru always seems HUGE in comparison to anything else.

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
The 44 Mag seems/feels a bit bigger than the Metcalf. It also feels bigger than my SG 5900. I think companies are all over the board how they measure these things. Kifaru always seems HUGE in comparison to anything else.

hopefully that’s the case. I believe on the metcalf the bag and lid equal 4300 cubic inches and the 44 mag between the bag and side pockets it’s 4400 roughly. So possibly the between just the bags themselves it is bigger.

Schism

WKR
While I have never used a Metcalf, I own or have owned a DT2, Reckoning and Woodsman. When I received my 44 Mag I was surprised at how large it seemed. I think the many organization pockets help it carry more than I anticipated it would. I think 3-4 days is very doable with the 44 Mag provided you aren't hunting in winter conditions that require more and heavier clothing.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
You can get 3-4 nights pretty easy out of this bag. My hunting buddy and I will run 5 nights out of them with out shorting yourself on gear. The nice thing is you can change it up so easily. Early season hunts I run it bare bones with only a couple med belts up the back. This year we will be a late Oct hunt so I have a claymore on the bottom and Lrg above that and then a sherman that I can drop if need be. Here are a few pics of how looks.

Attachments

• 20200809_115123.jpg
    20200809_115123.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 20200809_115141.jpg
    20200809_115141.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 140

Block

WKR
My biggest complaint about the 44 was how it had a short mini water bladder spot..that was basically at the TOP of the bag... I like a tall 3 liter which wouldn’t work with this bag..

If the 44 was a bigger copy of the old 22 I think it would be a much better bag..the pockets on the old 22 are WAY better all around IMO

Just picked up a 44 Mag from the classified and looking at getting a Sherman pocket. Is there a way to strap your bow to the pack without having to use a Sherman or Claymore pocket/pouch?

huntem

FNG
Just picked up a 44 Mag from the classified and looking at getting a Sherman pocket. Is there a way to strap your bow to the pack without having to use a Sherman or Claymore pocket/pouch?
I just added a claymore to my 22 mag over the weekend. I haven't had the chance to load the pack and claymore, I am anticipating there would be some torq on the bow limbs to use the bottom bag loop over the loaded claymore. Of course I could be totally off on that assumption.

oldhorse

WKR
My biggest complaint about the 44 was how it had a short mini water bladder spot..that was basically at the TOP of the bag... I like a tall 3 liter which wouldn’t work with this bag..

If the 44 was a bigger copy of the old 22 I think it would be a much better bag..the pockets on the old 22 are WAY better all around IMO
I use a Camelbak Milspec 'short, wide' 3 liter reservoir in my Mountain Warrior and 44 Mag. Fits perfectly, and has quick connect hose, so I can fill it easily without removing it from the pack if I use my Katadyn pump water filter.

Block

WKR
I use a Camelbak Milspec 'short, wide' 3 liter reservoir in my Mountain Warrior and 44 Mag. Fits perfectly, and has quick connect hose, so I can fill it easily without removing it from the pack if I use my Katadyn pump water filter.

Yeah I watched my friend have to stop every time he wanted a drink becuz that quick disconnect had popped out and
Needed to be fixed... that pouch on the 44 is too short.. I still bet that short wide pouch sticks up out the top of it

My 44 has a full height pouch in the main compartment. I run a 3L standard height Source bag in it. No issues on technical terrain. If you’re talking about the side pouches that’s a different story.

Block

WKR
My 44 has a full height pouch in the main compartment. I run a 3L standard height Source bag in it. No issues on technical terrain. If you’re talking about the side pouches that’s a different story.

Well that’s interesting ,,, becuz both mine and my friends 44mag had a super
Short water bladder pouch that started higher than the middle of the bag.,, a standard 3 liter would not fit.. and either way the placement just seemed like it was asking to make the bag top heavy if you were packing real lite for a day hike