Kifaru 44mag- looks pretty cool

Let’s see...what do we have here?? Box from Schnee’s (Beartooth II)...7 boxes from Cabela’s (9 cases of Golden Pheasant that was on sale) ....ohhhh and what’s this...a Highlander 44 mag from Kifaru. Today was a good day.View attachment 102739
I'll bet your UPS driver hates you! That's a lot better than seeing my wife's amazon boxes piled up on the porch!

Can anyone provide some insight or a comparison between the 44 mag and the hoodlum. I have the hoodlum, but haven't had a chance to use it yet (other than training hikes). Most of my trips don't extend beyond 5 days without a visit to the truck, so I'm thinking I could get by with the 44 mag and just have one do-it-all bag.

Do you think you could fit a bone-in elk hind quarter in it?

Obviously these are new packs and not much time has been spent with them yet. I’ve wanted to order this pack for a do it all set up but have some reservations with it. I have a Reckoning and Woodsman and would sell both in exchange for this pack.

My gear is pretty dialed in across the board. As a light packer, I can fit 7-8 days in a Woodsman relatively easily for September Elk in CO. The Reckoning is the bag I was going to use for AK and 3rd season CO mule deer tag.

Anybody that has it, do you think you could get 7-8 days out of this pack on a 3rd season rifle hunt in CO if the weather turns cold? Or 8-10 days in late September in Alaska?

Obviously, belt punches could be added as well as a Native that I have. But all the accessories add up quick in regards to weight

Last edited:
Obviously these are new packs and not much time has been spent with them yet. I’ve wanted to order this pack for a do it all set up but have some reservations with it. I have a Reckoning and Woodsman and would sell both in exchange for this pack.

My gear is pretty dialed in across the board. As a light packer, I can fit 7-8 days in a Woodsman relatively easily for September Elk in CO. The Reckoning is the bag I was going to use for AK and 3rd season CO mule deer tag.

Anybody that has it, do you think you could get 7-8 days out of this pack on a 3rd season rifle hunt in CO if the weather turns cold? Or 8-10 days in late September in Alaska?

Obviously, belt punches could be added as well as a Native that I have. But all the accessories add up quick in regards to weight

I had the Reckoning and now the 44mag , 7 would be stretching it with only the bag in cold weather in my opinion with the 44. The Reckoning with snow collar up and some sort of lid would be more reasonable with that # of days in mind. If you can pack your Reckoning for 10 days and have a good amount of room left over then the 44 mag might work for you

Mitten32

WKR
I toyed around with idea of switching from the reckoning to the 44 mag as well with the thought of one “do it all bag”. But bigger seems do be better for when I’m looking for one bag to do everything. I can always collapse it down for smaller loads/trips. I think I’d find myself wishing I had the extra cubic inches if I made the switch but damn that 44 mag is a cool set up. Synder always says he’s never come down the trailhead after a trip wishing he had a smaller bag

I had the Reckoning and now the 44mag , 7 would be stretching it with only the bag in cold weather in my opinion with the 44. The Reckoning with snow collar up and some sort of lid would be more reasonable with that # of days in mind. If you can pack your Reckoning for 10 days and have a good amount of room left over then the 44 mag might work for you
Thank you. I’ll probably have to stop in there before I can make a decision. Either way, I don’t think I can go wrong with these two

I toyed around with idea of switching from the reckoning to the 44 mag as well with the thought of one “do it all bag”. But bigger seems do be better for when I’m looking for one bag to do everything. I can always collapse it down for smaller loads/trips. I think I’d find myself wishing I had the extra cubic inches if I made the switch but damn that 44 mag is a cool set up. Synder always says he’s never come down the trailhead after a trip wishing he had a smaller bag
Agreed. It’s more of the design with the mesh pockets, zippered side pockets and top pocket for organization that make it so enticing

My 44 mag showed up yesterday. It is everything I thought it would be and more. Cool set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrkn2hunt

FNG
I am waiting for my 44 mag yet but should ship this week. This is my first Kifaru setup but have tried many other brands in the past but when I saw the video of the 44 I was sold! I will admit I wasn't even looking at Kifaru and planned on buying Exo but this bag sold me instantly. Now my problem is I ordered a lite frame, 44 bag, Claymore lid, Sherman, and two large pouches, along with some swag of course. I think I am going to have too many pockets! I will run a bottle holder on one side but is a large pocket too big for the belt? Seems it may be but won't know for sure until it gets here. I am excited and hope these live up to the hype. I have a few archery trips to try it on before a region G hunt in Wy.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I packed mine up yesterday as realistically as possible. All of my camping gear, clothing etc is ultralight/compact. If optics are included, getting a week out of this thing is about impossible, especially with later season cold weather clothing. No matter how many pouches you put all over it, the main bag, where your food HAS to go is only so big. Unless you eat next to nothing, that is going to be your main limitation. I guess some guys like to sandwich a lot of crap in the meat shelf, I just don't. Incredibly well made, brilliant design, just still a 4400 ci pack. If you accept what it is, you will likely love this bag.

xcutter

WKR
My thoughts are if I need more room that extra pockets can't provide I will put a dry bag on the meat shelf. Should be able to get the cold weather clothes there easily and compress.

ChrisAU

WKR
I packed mine up yesterday as realistically as possible. All of my camping gear, clothing etc is ultralight/compact. If optics are included, getting a week out of this thing is about impossible, especially with later season cold weather clothing. No matter how many pouches you put all over it, the main bag, where your food HAS to go is only so big. Unless you eat next to nothing, that is going to be your main limitation. I guess some guys like to sandwich a lot of crap in the meat shelf, I just don't. Incredibly well made, brilliant design, just still a 4400 ci pack. If you accept what it is, you will likely love this bag.

Yeah I agree. It looks big in comparison pics, but I'm too scared to make the jump from my Reckoning for 6-7 day trips. The main compartment is 3390 ci. My gear is pretty dialed in and I think I would find that pretty tough for 6-7 days in Late October-November or later.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely. If you want to cram some gear/clothing in the meat shelf, this bag will do whatever length of trip you want. Organization is great, access is great, versatility is great. I carried a 70 lb bag in it the other day similar to packing meat. By cinching down the lowest compression strap flush against the bag and frame, I was able to create a higher "shelf" to support the weight further up my back for better weight distribution. If you are a "meat in the bag" guy, this will really help with comfort. Going to be a great bag!

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just about to pull the trigger on this bag. Looks like it will be perfect for my archery hunts where Im 3-5 out and then get back to the truck and then another 3-5 out.

Don't think I'll be able to push more consecutive days out of it but this bag almost is perfect for my 3-5 day it seems. That pretty much the general consensus others are anticipating unless you go minimalist?

tdot

WKR
Everyone's definition of minimalist is different.

I'm expecting to pack gear/food for 5-7 days in this bag. I don't consider myself a minimalist, but again, that's all based on perspective.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Was getting ready to swap my bag back over to my load sling for some weekend training and then saw they put in these tab loops inside the bag for internal lashing. Just 1 more reason this is my favorite bag so far!

Attachments

• CF836DD5-4676-4F08-A1D8-750331D8E953.jpeg
    CF836DD5-4676-4F08-A1D8-750331D8E953.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 97203976-8A1B-4B9A-A394-59B463782B41.jpeg
    97203976-8A1B-4B9A-A394-59B463782B41.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 376