Kifaru 44mag- looks pretty cool

Yea and some of us are just Sasquatches. When you need a 6'6" bag and a little bigger tent and bigger clothes and 3000 calorie base instead of 2400................ It all adds up. My gear list is over 4lbs heavier at 6'7" 250lbs then my 5'11" 175lb bother for exactly the same gear. Then added food. It all ads up bro.

I'm in on this pack though looks sweet.

Exactly!

For us 6”2+ guys, even the most ultralight Kit is going to come in needing slightly more volume than those of normal size. Heck my wife can fit a 5 day hunt in a woodsman. I was figuring what body part to loose so I could make a 22mag work or I was going to get a used woodsman and start stitching. Both those ideas would have ended me in the hospital, but for different reasons. Now I’m going to tell the wife..... but I didn’t end up in the hospital so wasn’t it worth it 😬

Maybe I could get by with both packs....44mag for September and the Hoodlum for late season.....I'm a bigger guy at 6'4" 230, but I think I could maybe get by with a little less in September. The sawtooth and stove is always nice though. What to do?

Maybe I could get by with both packs....44mag for September and the Hoodlum for late season.....I'm a bigger guy at 6'4" 230, but I think I could maybe get by with a little less in September. The sawtooth and stove is always nice though. What to do?

I’m the same height and 245. I use a cavern and will be adding in the 44mag. I think it hits that perfect middle. For day, ultra ultra light I run the guide lid. For day plus basic gear with the option to haul meat I run the guide lid and cargo panel. For overnight ears and up to 3 days I’ll run the 44 mag. For everything else I’ll run the cavern and add lid and pouches and grab it as needed.

Can’t wait for Monday 😬

prm

WKR
Looks like you’d be able to put typical day pack stuff in the side pockets if packing out meat. Will a Lost Park Parka, extra pair of socks, gloves, first aid kit, possibles pouch fit in a side?

Need to pack up my Reckoning with current pack list and see how much I have to spare. Don’t want to add extra pockets, rather use lightweight bags for organization.

ChrisAU

WKR
Looks like you’d be able to put typical day pack stuff in the side pockets if packing out meat. Will a Lost Park Parka, extra pair of socks, gloves, first aid kit, possibles pouch fit in a side?

Need to pack up my Reckoning with current pack list and see how much I have to spare. Don’t want to add extra pockets, rather use lightweight bags for organization.

Do we know how much the 44 mag will weigh? I'd bet it weighs more than a Reckoning.

prm

WKR
I wondered the same thing, but in the video he mentioned it being about 5.5 with frame. I’m sure the frame is different, but my Reckoning is closer to 6.5.

I have a 24” Hunting Platform Frame and Suspension with the Reckoning.

ljalberta

WKR
They said 2.6lbs in a comment on one of the Instagram posts for weight. That would be fantastic if that holds to be true.

For those of you that have the Hoodlum, Hooligan, Cavern or Crater. My main question is about the compression straps on top of the side pockets. Has this been an inconvenience or caused any problems at all? Coming from the Reckoning this would be different for me.

@Aron Snyder, do you think we could keep something at the top of the bag in the main compartment and still get to it without taking the bag off? Of course, if you have somewhat flexible shoulders I guess.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For those of you that have the Hoodlum, Hooligan, Cavern or Crater. My main question is about the compression straps on top of the side pockets. Has this been an inconvenience or caused any problems at all? Coming from the Reckoning this would be different for me.

@Aron Snyder, do you think we could keep something at the top of the bag in the main compartment and still get to it without taking the bag off? Of course, if you have somewhat flexible shoulders I guess.

I couldn’t do it on my best day with the help of 3 men and a small boy, but there’s a good chance you’re more flexible than I am though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
People just pack way too much stuff. My gear list is drastically smaller now compared to when I first started backpacking in.

I like a bigger bag so when I’m packing meat out I don’t have to randomly strap gear to the outside. And for two it’s a lot easier to load meat by yourself into a larger bag than a smaller bag. They all compress down awesome and I’ve had multiple times this last year where I wished I had a bigger bag, but never a smaller one.