Kifaru 44mag- looks pretty cool

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
People just pack way too much stuff. My gear list is drastically smaller now compared to when I first started backpacking in.

Yea and some of us are just Sasquatches. When you need a 6'6" bag and a little bigger tent and bigger clothes and 3000 calorie base instead of 2400................ It all adds up. My gear list is over 4lbs heavier at 6'7" 250lbs then my 5'11" 175lb bother for exactly the same gear. Then added food. It all ads up bro.

I'm in on this pack though looks sweet.

Yea and some of us are just Sasquatches. When you need a 6'6" bag and a little bigger tent and bigger clothes and 3000 calorie base instead of 2400................ It all adds up. My gear list is over 4lbs heavier at 6'7" 250lbs then my 5'11" 175lb bother for exactly the same gear. Then added food. It all ads up bro.

Absolutely, I've thought about the difference in Men's and Women's gear based on typical size. I'm not small but am lucky I don't have to pack a 6'6" bag! I mainly meant things people pack but tend not to actually need or even use. From a lack of experience I initially packed things that I don't and wouldn't even consider anymore.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
Do you guys go in for 10-12 days normally? I’m confused about needing the huge bags.

I like to do at least one 10-14 day hunt a year. This year I'm hoping I'll get a 14-16 day hunt in after sheep. For the most part, my trips for deer, elk, bear, or moose are all much shorter (3-5 days).

For a week or so this bag would be ideal. Food is what eats up all the space in my pack. Last year I had 14 days of gear and food in a Mountain Warrior - but it was about to explode. The extra space is nice for when colder weather arrives (bulkier clothing) and when it comes time to load up meat/capes/etc.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Do you guys go in for 10-12 days normally? I’m confused about needing the huge bags.

10-12 day backpack hunts are not the norm unless you are on the internet. But some do, others need room for camera gear or on a late-season backpack hunt you always have extra bulk. Then there's always that damn meat, its bulky and heavy.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This looks great, if it can sneak in right around 600.00 with a light/ultralight frame I’ll probably grab one. I don’t have any packs in the middle right now. This looks like it could really fit the bill for a nice 5-7 day pack.

Thanks for the answers guys. Honestly, I agree with Ryan. I agreed with him before asking the question. Because a 4000 CI bag is pretty dang big. These bigger bags get so much PR and love even though I didn’t believe that the average guy was staying in that long. I just wandered why the .huge bags when a smaller one would fit the bill just fine.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was worried about to small and I wanted more pals webbing for mount versatility. I have a cavern and love it. But now I’m wondering .... what else are they releasing cause I’m planning on buying Monday!

This is it for quite a while man. At least for large bags anyway. We’ve been working with the military quite a bit, so there’s some tactical stuff coming out, but nothing like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
A 4K bag at last! I have been wanting this size range of pack for a long time. I could see this being a go to for 1-4 nights when I am hunting/searching and covering ground. Also, it will serve as a dedicated day hunt pack with serious meat hauling ability (like my October ibex hunt). Basically every tag I have drawn so far this year will fit right in this pack's wheelhouse.

This makes me feel like goldylocks....this 22 mag is to small....this Cavern is to big..... but this 44 Mag is just right!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

We’ve got videos going up on Monday along with the bag. I’m one of the videos I have a guy Glenn and multiple different pockets attached. It brings the 44 mag well over 6000 inches. There’s a small weight penalty obviously as the back end up weighing almost 7 lbs With everything attached, but it’s better than having to buy two bags.

The last couple of trips I’ve used everything I brought with me. You could say I’m pretty dialed in for my needs. But at 6’, 220#, 3L bladder, and food for 4-5 days I’m using up most of my 7800ci AMR bag. My gear isn’t the most expensive super ultralight light stuff but it isn’t bargain basement sized stuff either.

The 44mag is a sweet bag layout but just too small for me and my needs.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This looks great, if it can sneak in right around 600.00 with a light/ultralight frame I’ll probably grab one. I don’t have any packs in the middle right now. This looks like it could really fit the bill for a nice 5-7 day pack.

It’ll be just over $600 with the frame bag. One of the bonuses with the 44 mag is that you don’t really need to add pockets and less you just like a lot of pockets. It has six pockets sewn in already.

I need a pack with more room than my woodsman for 7 day trips and I'm hoping this new pack will cause some reckonings to pop up in the classifieds!

On the other hand i really like this new pack too. I like the zipper layout and 2 big side pockets.

wyodan

WKR
Thanks for the pics Aron! Maybe i missed it in the video, but what is the capacity of just the main compartment? Thanks!!!
I'm wondering kind of the same thing. Is it dimensionally larger than the woodsman, or is the extra capacity just from it being a little taller for the longer frame sizes?