Kifaru 44mag or Hoodlum

I’m debating on which of these two packs I should pull the trigger on. The 44 mag or the hoodlum. I’m from out east but typically go on an elk hunt every year for 7-10 days. We have done the stay in one spot for 10 days straight to being mobile and restocking every 3-4 days. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you I’m advance.

Mosby

WKR
I am not an expert on Kifaru packs, as I don't own one but between the two packs mentioned, I would get the Hoodlum, simply because it is the largest of the two. The 44 mag seems like it would be a bit small for me on extended hunts and the larger pack would give you more flexibility on gear.

OP
WVHunter90
I am not an expert on Kifaru packs, as I don't own one but between the two packs mentioned, I would get the Hoodlum, simply because it is the largest of the two. The 44 mag seems like it would be a bit small for me on extended hunts and the larger pack would give you more flexibility on gear.
Thank you for your reply Mosby, that’s what I was contemplating I like the idea of the 44 mag but don’t think it’s quite big enough and I would definitely rather have unused room then not enough.

I have the 44mag and love it but I don’t usually hunt for more than 5 days at a time - if you regularly do more than 5 days you would probably need to go Hoodlum.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with everyone else on the Hoodlum. I just like a larger bags because it really sucks when your loading up with meat and trying to strap extra gear on the outside. Plus a larger bag is just easier to load meat in my opinion. That Hoodlum compresses so well I think you'd be happy with it.

OP
WVHunter90
I have the 44mag and love it but I don’t usually hunt for more than 5 days at a time - if you regularly do more than 5 days you would probably need to go Hoodlum.
Thank you for giving your advice, I think I’ll probably go with the hoodlum for extended hunts and then get the 44mag later never can go wrong with to many bags. Good luck this year.

OP
WVHunter90
I agree with everyone else on the Hoodlum. I just like a larger bags because it really sucks when your loading up with meat and trying to strap extra gear on the outside. Plus a larger bag is just easier to load meat in my opinion. That Hoodlum compresses so well I think you'd be happy with it.
Thank you for your reply Jordan the more I look into the hoodlum I believe that’s the bag I’m going to go with and possibly get the 44 mag or a smaller for short day hunts later on. While on the subject has anyone had any experience with the Shape Charge.

Ten Bears

WKR
I took a peek at the 44 and ended up with the Hoodlum ordered. I always think I am going to maintain some neat organized pack heading into a hunt. But once you’re out there and it’s 430am and you want to move camp/hunt, packing down everything perfect is out the door and the extra space is appreciated. It’s a lot easier to cinch a bag down than to add space.

Last edited:
OP
WVHunter90
I took a peak at the 44 and ended up with the Hoodlum ordered. I always think I am going to maintain some neat organized pack heading into a hunt. But once you’re out there and it’s 430am and you want to move camp/hunt, packing down everything perfect is out the door and the extra space is appreciated. It’s a lot easier to cinch a bag down than to add space.
I have to agree with you on the wishful thinking one will always take the time to pack everything neat but it never fails that it’s a lot harder to get it all situated just right when things hit the fan. Thank you all for the replies I’m definitely going to lean on the bigger bag option.

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
I just swung on the hoodlum for this same reason. I was looking at the 22 mag as a smaller option, you mentioned getting the 44 mag as a day pack but I might would go a little smaller if you get that hoodlum.

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
What about a muskeg? 5,000 or 7,000. You could add pouches and or a lid also. Just a thought.

OP
WVHunter90
I just swung on the hoodlum for this same reason. I was looking at the 22 mag as a smaller option, you mentioned getting the 44 mag as a day pack but I might would go a little smaller if you get that hoodlum.
Didn’t even think about getting the 22 mag as a day option thanks for the input I’ll have to check it out.

OP
WVHunter90
What about a muskeg? 5,000 or 7,000. You could add pouches and or a lid also. Just a thought.

I’ve looked into the muskeg series as well as the cavern and crater all seem to be good options, I kind of like the thought of having the spotting scope pockets but I could see where the muskeg would be an all around good system.

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve looked into the muskeg series as well as the cavern and crater all seem to be good options, I kind of like the thought of having the spotting scope pockets but I could see where the muskeg would be an all around good system.

That makes sense, another thought would be the Sherman pocket which I believe is sized for a spotter. I don’t like how the compression straps go over the spotter on those other two packs, I really yank on my compression straps and wouldn’t be able to evenly compress at the fear of damaging spotter.

Another thought would be to run the spotter attached to tripod and have the spotter horizontal under a lid and the tripod strapped down center of pack. I have seen Aron run this is videos and wanted to try. It seems protected and very quick to deploy being that it’s already attached.

No matter what you get you will get a good bag, everyone’s needs and desires are different. Yet another reason I’m bias to kifaru.

Jls21601

FNG
The 44 mag provides options for adding pockets, a Sherman pocket, or a lid and I think it could be stretched to 10 days. Partly depends on the season and weather you will be hunting in. If you don’t need a lot of cold weather gear, the 44 mag would be fine and it would probably work better for hunting white tails back east

I don’t have either yet, but they’re both on my radar and here’s my reasoning.

44 Mag - early season elk/mule deer 4-5 days and then as it gets colder it transitions to a day pack with cold weather gear like my whitetail stuff, etc.

Hoodlum - longer early season trips or probably 5-7ish days in cold weather

I think they complement each other well. I’m starting with the 44 Mag.

RyanCmns

WKR
I grabbed a 44mag I think 8ts gonna work for me I like the main compartment opening it makes loading/ easy I think I'll be able to get 8 days in it I'm running 2 medium pockets and a guide lid with it. I'm thinking of adding a native and dropping the 2 pockets if I need more room. Both are good options should be happy either way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
The 44 mag provides options for adding pockets, a Sherman pocket, or a lid and I think it could be stretched to 10 days. Partly depends on the season and weather you will be hunting in. If you don’t need a lot of cold weather gear, the 44 mag would be fine and it would probably work better for hunting white tails back east

This is what I'm doing. I liked the organization of the 44 Mag for my camera gear so I wanted to go with it, but needed some more room for extended hunts. By adding a lid, Sherman pocket, and a couple belt pouches, I'm at over 6500ci. Then for whitetails back home I'll go without the lid and Sherman and have a great day pack that I can get all my heavy clothes and camera gear into on long hikes to the stand.

mgebs311

FNG
I know you guys have probably made up your mind by now. I’ve been looking at the Hoodlum and the 44 mag as well. Looking at the bag specs, I found it interesting that the Hoodlum weighs a 1/2 pound lighter than the 44 mag. That aside, I really like the Hoodlum as well, probably what I’ll be getting. 👍

I had a hard time deciding..... the organization of the 44 mag is awesome but I was worried it might be to small, then the Hoodlum might be to big for day trips..... I went with the 44 mag and have been happy. I added a Sherman pocket on the back which works great and if I ever need more room in the pack I’ll run my sleeping bag on the outside bottom of the pack in a waterproof stuff sack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk