Kifaru 44mag or Hoodlum

jswayze1

FNG
This is what I'm doing. I liked the organization of the 44 Mag for my camera gear so I wanted to go with it, but needed some more room for extended hunts. By adding a lid, Sherman pocket, and a couple belt pouches, I'm at over 6500ci. Then for whitetails back home I'll go without the lid and Sherman and have a great day pack that I can get all my heavy clothes and camera gear into on long hikes to the stand.
Sounds like a good setup.

Hi all,
Wanted to give this thread a bump as I have a few questions that I was hoping to have help with. I'm going to be placing a pack (will be my only pack right now because of financial circumstances so buying another bag isnt going to be possible). I was hoping you all could shed some insight into what I am thinking as I've essentially narrowed it down to the Hoodlum and 44 Mag...with a pretty strong lean to the Hoodlum.

The Hoodlum, is a bit more pack than I have used in the past (had a MR Metcalf). I like the side spotter pockets on both the 44 mag and Hoodlum. I have heard a lot of people say, and it make sense to me, that they never have wanted a smaller pack on a hunt, but have definitely wanted a larger pack on a hunt. With my metcalf, this was the case on occasion. The 44 mag is quite a bit heavier for a lot "less bag" especially when I would certainly be adding several pockets. My thinking is why not just get the bigger bag for about a half pound less. I'm not a crazy oz counter by any means but, with extra pockets on the 44 mag, it could be 1.5-2lbs more off the bat. It seems like I could simply save all that weight and get a pack with a ton more room and just compress it down? This leads me to my concern however about the Hoodlum. I do day hunt A LOT around my home for deer, turkey and pig. A lot of this is in the summer when it is hotter than hell (over 100) so I am carrying food, kill kit, water, spotter, tripod, and a small first aid kit etc. For those of you that own the Hoodlum, how well does it compress down into a daypack. @Jordan Budd did a great video on it compressing down for the day but her day pack had far more than mine would. Again, my thinking however is why not get a bigger bag for less weight and just deal with it. My mind starts to think go the 44 mag route because its smaller but its also heavier so it doesnt really make sense in my mind to carry a smaller, but heavier bag. The day hunting option is what is messing with my head for this purchase. Do many of you dayhunt with your hoodlums? If so, is the "extra" pack a hindrance at all? Id love to see pictures of a hoodlum in day pack mode if you have them.

I typically hunt out of state 2-4 times a year (1-2 elk hunts, AZ mule deer, and spring bear every year or two if im lucky). I typically am away from the truck from 2-5 days. I know this seems to be the wheelhouse of the 44 mag but again, for 1/2 lb less, why not go Hoodlum? In the next few years I should be drawing some decent tags that will require a larger time commitment/backcountry investment. Im also saving for a DIY Alaska moose hunt in the next 3-5 years.

Am I off base to be thinking about the Hoodlum? I was pretty set on it initially but after seeing how much people love the 44 mag (rightfully so it seems) that I started to second guess it because of how much day hunting around home I do. The Hoodlum just seems like it will grow with me and I can still shrink down, whereas the 44 mag can get bigger but at a more significant weight penalty. I also really like the two zipper access of the Hoodlum...the zipper access to get in the 44 mag seems a little tricky at times.

I reached out to Snyder and am going to give him a call today. I value the insight on this forum as well and wanted to hear back. Any insight you can provide regarding either of the packs (specifically the hoodlum compressed down) would be awesome. Thanks to you all in advance.

Last edited:

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
I would do the Hoodlum for sure. That bag will easily compress down but at the same time if your in there for 5 days or so you'll be covered.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,
Wanted to give this thread a bump as I have a few questions that I was hoping to have help with. I'm going to be placing a pack (will be my only pack right now because of financial circumstances so buying another bag isnt going to be possible). I was hoping you all could shed some insight into what I am thinking as I've essentially narrowed it down to the Hoodlum and 44 Mag...with a pretty strong lean to the Hoodlum.

The Hoodlum, is a bit more pack than I have used in the past (had a MR Metcalf). I like the side spotter pockets on both the 44 mag and Hoodlum. I have heard a lot of people say, and it make sense to me, that they never have wanted a smaller pack on a hunt, but have definitely wanted a larger pack on a hunt. With my metcalf, this was the case on occasion. The 44 mag is quite a bit heavier for a lot "less bag" especially when I would certainly be adding several pockets. My thinking is why not just get the bigger bag for about a half pound less. I'm not a crazy oz counter by any means but, with extra pockets on the 44 mag, it could be 1.5-2lbs more off the bat. It seems like I could simply save all that weight and get a pack with a ton more room and just compress it down? This leads me to my concern however about the Hoodlum. I do day hunt A LOT around my home for deer, turkey and pig. A lot of this is in the summer when it is hotter than hell (over 100) so I am carrying food, kill kit, water, spotter, tripod, and a small first aid kit etc. For those of you that own the Hoodlum, how well does it compress down into a daypack. @Jordan Budd did a great video on it compressing down for the day but her day pack had far more than mine would. Again, my thinking however is why not get a bigger bag for less weight and just deal with it. My mind starts to think go the 44 mag route because its smaller but its also heavier so it doesnt really make sense in my mind to carry a smaller, but heavier bag. The day hunting option is what is messing with my head for this purchase. Do many of you dayhunt with your hoodlums? If so, is the "extra" pack a hindrance at all? Id love to see pictures of a hoodlum in day pack mode if you have them.

I typically hunt out of state 2-4 times a year (1-2 elk hunts, AZ mule deer, and spring bear every year or two if im lucky). I typically am away from the truck from 2-5 days. I know this seems to be the wheelhouse of the 44 mag but again, for 1/2 lb less, why not go Hoodlum? In the next few years I should be drawing some decent tags that will require a larger time commitment/backcountry investment. Im also saving for a DIY Alaska moose hunt in the next 3-5 years.

Am I off base to be thinking about the Hoodlum? I was pretty set on it initially but after seeing how much people love the 44 mag (rightfully so it seems) that I started to second guess it because of how much day hunting around home I do. The Hoodlum just seems like it will grow with me and I can still shrink down, whereas the 44 mag can get bigger but at a more significant weight penalty. I also really like the two zipper access of the Hoodlum...the zipper access to get in the 44 mag seems a little tricky at times.

I reached out to Snyder and am going to give him a call today. I value the insight on this forum as well and wanted to hear back. Any insight you can provide regarding either of the packs (specifically the hoodlum compressed down) would be awesome. Thanks to you all in advance.

Let me know what you would run in it and I’ll do another video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me know what you would run in it and I’ll do another video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're a legend Jordan. During summer around me (Central CA) I would be running pretty minimal as its super hot. I would run

3L water bladder
Swaro 95mm spotter
Kill Kit
Tripod
Small food bag for the day
game bags
small first aid kit

Everything else is pretty much on my chest/bino harness. Would love to see what it looks like on someones back if possible? Just hard to get a gauge as to size as I've never worn a pack over 5000ci. Thanks a million

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're a legend Jordan. During summer around me (Central CA) I would be running pretty minimal as its super hot. I would run

3L water bladder
Swaro 95mm spotter
Kill Kit
Tripod
Small food bag for the day
game bags
small first aid kit

Everything else is pretty much on my chest/bino harness. Would love to see what it looks like on someones back if possible? Just hard to get a gauge as to size as I've never worn a pack over 5000ci. Thanks a million

No problem! Are you thinking you'd like to run that stuff in the main bag or in the side pockets?

After going back and forth with with Jordan this morning (thanks for the help Jordan), and also giving Snyder a call (thanks @Aron Snyder) I am for sure going the Hoodlum route. Both Jordan and Aron explained a lot about the pack and how versatile it is both as a proper backcountry backpack (which was obvious from the start) but also as a daypack (which was my initial concern as I do day hunt a lot and was worried the Hoodlum would be too much pack to carry around). I did come across this recent instagram post on Kifaru for those of you wondering the same thing and essentially what I was asking Jordan earlier:
Really appreciate the help on this forum. Really looking forward to getting the Hoodlum

pc3

WKR
For mine if they made a version of the hoodlum with capacity of the crater/fulcrum/ma deuce full center zip rather than the side access and enlarge side pockets in scale with the increased size it would be choice for the larger bag.

I like "nearly" everything about it.

JMDavies

WKR
Not sure if this helps, but here I go. I use a 22Mag (not a 44Mag) for trips when I'm sure I'll be back to a truck or camp by the end of each day. I also own a Fulcrum that I use for long extended trips. I'd buy the largest pack with the most versatility. I like the Fulcrum because is easily converts to 1,800CI pack for short trips, but still has the capability to expand as you need additional room. So to make a long story longer, the Fulcrum is two packs in one.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
After going back and forth with with Jordan this morning (thanks for the help Jordan), and also giving Snyder a call (thanks @Aron Snyder) I am for sure going the Hoodlum route. Both Jordan and Aron explained a lot about the pack and how versatile it is both as a proper backcountry backpack (which was obvious from the start) but also as a daypack (which was my initial concern as I do day hunt a lot and was worried the Hoodlum would be too much pack to carry around). I did come across this recent instagram post on Kifaru for those of you wondering the same thing and essentially what I was asking Jordan earlier:
Really appreciate the help on this forum. Really looking forward to getting the Hoodlum

Awesome! If you still want to see a video, or if anyone else does with some different things I'll do it.

Awesome! If you still want to see a video, or if anyone else does with some different things I'll do it.

Thanks for the offer Jordan but the IG post gave me a solid visual. Really really appreciate the offer to do all that though. Thanks for the podcast as well as all the information that you provide on here. Have a great day!

onderz

FNG
I’m debating on which of these two packs I should pull the trigger on. The 44 mag or the hoodlum. I’m from out east but typically go on an elk hunt every year for 7-10 days. We have done the stay in one spot for 10 days straight to being mobile and restocking every 3-4 days. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you I’m advance.

I would recommend the hoodlum base on what you've described. Depending on the amount of CI you normally use compared to these bags, for most customers the Hoodlum is more of a 5-7 day (Average Customer) bag, whereas the 44 is more of a 3-5 day range. This doesn't mean that you couldn't make either work for what you are wanting, you are just going to have to trim down on some luxury items to make space. As well the benefit to the hoodlum is that it has the optional snow collar that can be used with a lid to bump up your size range by a few days, yet still removable when not needed. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions regarding any of the packs. 303-278-9155

Not sure if this helps, but here I go. I use a 22Mag (not a 44Mag) for trips when I'm sure I'll be back to a truck or camp by the end of each day. I also own a Fulcrum that I use for long extended trips. I'd buy the largest pack with the most versatility. I like the Fulcrum because is easily converts to 1,800CI pack for short trips, but still has the capability to expand as you need additional room. So to make a long story longer, the Fulcrum is two packs in one.
Do you not use the side pockets for 1800 ci?

Aaron really is the best when it comes to customer service.

Really great of Jodan to help out too!
L

Thats easy. Hoodlum for sure. Quite possibly the most versatile pack Kifaru has produced to date. Its hard for me to imagine a better pack bag quite honestly. Not sure they will ever top that one......