Kifaru 5-string stuff sacks

nrh6.7

WKR
Looking for opinions on these stuff sacks. Have a quilt and two bags I'd like to have these for.

One thing I hate about stuff sacks is getting the dang bag in there to begin with.

How are these better than other sacks on the market?

Thx!

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The difference between the Kifaru stuff sacks and most others is how they compress. Most stuff sacks either roll from the top or compress lengthwise using compression straps along the long sides of the sack. The Kifaru compresses around the circumference making it into a slender cylinder instead of a ball. I choose which one to use based on the size and shape inside my pack bag.

The draw cords are static, similar to paracord.

Trial153

WKR
They work well. I double duty mine by strapping it to the underside of my pillow, I put any extra clothing in the sack beefing up the pillow. Works well. It's the only stuff sack I use at this point for bags and quilts

Another vote for them, although I am still pissed I didn’t get that shirtless, autographed horseback picture of Snyder when Kifaru fixed my duffle bag.

the compression strings are static and as Justin and others mentions above they compress your gear into a cylinder with a relatively fixed length. Most compression sacks that compress from the ends leave you with a roundish ball That you have to pack around. The kifaru sack once compressed slips down into the bottom of my pack and settles in more efficiently with all my sleep gear in it. I run a medium with a 20* synthetic bag almost all the time for backpacking and hunts. I am thinking about getting a bigger one or just another to compress my extra clothes as well.

only possible draw back (apart from not getting my picture, Aaron) is I have never tested water proof ness. My goto for clothing is sea to summit event dry sacks which are pretty waterproof. The kifaru is probably fine with light rain inside a pack but I wouldn’t take it for a swim. If dunking were a serious possibility (boat/canoe trip or propensity for being stupid) I might take some extra precautions to keep my bag dry.

Last edited: