Kifaru AMR vs Stone Glacier Sky Talus

Have a Kuiu Icon Pro, looking to upgrade.

Primary use will be backpack hunts in the Adirondacks (need to haul meat + camp), occasional trip out west for elk and an Alaskan hunt or two.

Thoughts between the two?

zacattack

WKR
I have the AMR but have no experience with the SG. I can say that my AMR is built like a damn tank and you could probably carry a tank in it or use it for a tent if need be. I really like the front pockets on it, they are quite roomy for things like rain gear etc. The bottom access is nice too to get to something quickly. It also compressed down very nicely for day mode. My only complaint is that I never could get a lid to work when the pack isn’t full, it kind of flops over and sags down. Not that big of a deal. I am selling mine for $190, nothing wrong with it and I like it, it’s just too big for my normal use.

Love my AMR and it’s been the pack that always remains in my gear cache. Take it every CO elk trip because of its ability to haul more than I want yet cinch down flat for day hunts. Only the DT1 could rival the AMR.

Never experienced any issues with my guide lid on the AMR. I’ve used k-clips, slotted male/female buckles, and straps to secure the top and never disliked any method.

I added a pair of tab loops and a pals matrix to the top of my AMR in case I wanted to run it sans lid or just with a belt pouch up top. Perfect addition to an already excellent bag.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve had both of these. I try tons of packs and always go back to the SG Sky Talus 6900. It is my favorite all purpose pack by far. The AMR is a beast though. I think you could put a full Talus 6900 inside the AMR easily. Both great choices.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love my AMR. My regular lid adjusts tight to the bag, even when empty. It doesn’t flop or move around at all.

Tried them both and much prefer the Kifaru. The Kifaru is more comfortable with heavy loads. I don’t always carry a heavy load but when you do it’s nice to be more comfortable

OP
NYRifleman
One of the reasons I'm looking to upgrade the icon is its reputation for failing under heavy loads so that's my main concern.

I realize nothing's going to be totally comfortable with 80 -100 pounds, and pack comfort is subjective.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I tried a kifaru fulcrum and the SG sky talus. I also played with an AMR before trying out the fulcrum. While the Kifaru was built like a tank and absolutely first rate in its construction, I couldn't get it to fit me comfortably. The SG fit me like a glove and is the pack I use now.

snowplow

WKR
I sure love my AMR. I've had a bunch of Kifaru (no sg) and this one is great. I also added a rolltop option like Bill. It's awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I have the AMR but have no experience with the SG. I can say that my AMR is built like a damn tank and you could probably carry a tank in it or use it for a tent if need be. I really like the front pockets on it, they are quite roomy for things like rain gear etc. The bottom access is nice too to get to something quickly. It also compressed down very nicely for day mode. My only complaint is that I never could get a lid to work when the pack isn’t full, it kind of flops over and sags down. Not that big of a deal. I am selling mine for $190, nothing wrong with it and I like it, it’s just too big for my normal use.
I had the same issue with my dt1. I used something similar to the kifaru k clip to attach the lid to loops on the frame. Works great.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I had an AMR and sold it here in Slide a while back. Super high quality build, tank tough as described, It just didn’t fill my exact needs—and the SG seemed more in line and decent bit lighter. I looked at the Sky Talus but went with the slightly larger guide. Love the pack. Due expect with 90+ lb pack outs the Kifaru would prove more comfortable in the belt area, but nothing is comfortable once you get super heavy—it’s just about managing the discomfort of success on pack out. Love my Barneys frame pack above all for heavy loads, and even it sucks with 130lb moose hindquarter.

The first sheep hunt with the SG I had a hard time getting the belt tensioned just right, it was either too loose or too tight, but after discussing with SG and following their pointers, couldn’t have been happier. As much as I love trying out new gear, especially packs, don’t see changing up the SG for anytime soon.