Kifaru Bikini DT1--An ongoing review

Sick of Bikini Reviews Yet?

Special shout out here to Aron and the rest of Kifaru who got me my pack the day before I needed it for a hike. Also, thanks for installing those connectors at the bottom of the pack.

So I'm going to hold of on greater judgement until I can get home and load up two fifty pound sandbags, but WOW.

I had 40 pounds in my pack today and took in on the Summit Loop at Smith Rock, just outside Bend, OR. It is approximately a 7.5-8 mile hike. 40 pounds is about 15 pounds below my 7 day pack in weight, so we weren't quite there yet, but close, and I certainly can't speak to what it's going to feel like with a 100 pounds in it.

So some things right off the bat, the DT1 is BIG. I wasn't even close to filling it. The bag also has more pockets then I realized, and the sleeping bag zipper at the bottom is a huge plus in my book. The spotting scope pocket easily fit my 80 mm Swaro, and I was able to fit the lid over the top completely covering my spotter.

It took me a bit of playing last night, maybe 15 minutes, after watching the video's on Kifaru on how to fit your pack to your frame, to get my pack just right. But I think it wouldn't take me more then five minutes now that I know what I'm doing. There is a couple of little tricks.

I made a mistake right off the bat when I started my hike. When I cinched everything down the lid was over part of the load lifters, and it only took me about a hundred yards to realize something was wrong. I moved it back a little, put the pack back on, and I got between 2-3 inches of lift on my shoulders.

You can see the lift pretty apparently in the pictures below. Sorry I look like a goober with my pants rolled up. The sun was beating on this pale skinned man from Western Washington. I haven't seen the sun in about 6 months! :chuckle: :chuckle:

The front side of Smith Rock (Monkey Face Trail) was pretty steep. It honestly felt like I had no weight in my pack. The lifters put all the weight on your hips, it was pretty phenomenal. I felt myself checking out most of the other hikers packs. I saw mostly northface and REI packs everywhere (coupled with lots of Suburu's), and I don't think I saw a single functional load lifter all day, and I looked at over a hundred packs.

I really don't have anything bad to say, which I didn't expect too. It's very easy to cinch everything up tight once you get into a routine. I spent quite a bit of time glassing on the backside, as I was pretty much alone back there, and the ease of removing and replacing the spotter was really nice. My only concern is if I fell, the spotter is pretty exposed on the outside. While hiking in, I think I'll probably wrap my spotter in between all my gear internal to the bag.

I know a couple of you wanted to test out the pack who live locally. Just hit me up when you want to give it a whirl, and I'll see if I'm available.

This thread will be an ongoing review, as I will be drastically increasing the weight when I get home.

Attachments

• Bikini1.jpg
    Bikini1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Bikini2.jpg
    Bikini2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 260
Congrat's on a great pack. I have the exact same setup but I have the DT2 on my Bikini. Best pack frame Kifaru has made to date.

Vandal 44

WKR
I got my Bakini on Friday. I have a Longhunter pack with the Deplux frame, I am going to use the Longhunter pack on the Bakini Frame for a few weeks and see how that goes before buying another bag. I will be testing the Frame out today with 45 pounds as well as shooting my bow with the Bakini Frame on, I will post later today my thoughts.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The spotting scope is just fine in the side pocket. I wouldn't even think twice about it getting damaged in there.

Vandal 44

WKR
I went out today with the Bakini Frame and 50 pounds of salt, went out about 3 miles it was very comfortable. The Bakini Frame is not as wide as the Duplex Frame, I took a few shots with the Bakini Frame on. It was not as constricting as the Duplex Frame and I could shoot with the pack on with not to much trouble. The shots where at 50 yards one arrow has a Shuttle T on it not to bad of a group

I have attached a Grabit and an XL Lid from the Longhunter not sure on the size of the lid. I need to get another small bag to attach that would give me a little
View attachment 7560View attachment 7562View attachment 7561View attachment 7563

Vandal 44

WKR
It a push, I think you would feel the difference if you where hauling something like a tree stand,latter sticks and maybe a ground blind. The reason I say that is there is no plastic to separate the load from your back as you already know.

I think the Bakini makes a better daypack than the Duplex Frame. Just my 2 cents.

I will post more next weekend

crumy

WKR
I have a Bikini DT1 and taken mine out for two payment hikes. 2.2 miles each. with 72 pounds. Feels great. No pain on the shoulders or back. Everything on hips like it should be. I have 17.5 torso and have the 24" stays. I just added the torso and stays because everyone is always talking about the 26" and people seem to ask about it a lot. Yea would probably give me more lift, but I don't have any pressure on my shoulders.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It a push, I think you would feel the difference if you where hauling something like a tree stand,latter sticks and maybe a ground blind. The reason I say that is there is no plastic to separate the load from your back as you already know.

I think the Bakini makes a better daypack than the Duplex Frame. Just my 2 cents.

I will post more next weekend

I agree 100%