Kifaru Cavern review.

Marble

WKR
I purchased a Cavern with the 26" lite duplex frame this year after going on a few trips with my two other packs and being uncomfortable in some way the majority of the time. With my other packs, I would have to constantly tighten the belt and pull the pack up, adjust the shoulders and continually tinker with fitment to make it bearable with only 45ish pounds. So I got bought a Cavern in Coyote brown with the guide lid and two small belt pouches. I also added the holder for the nalgene bottle. I already had a set of the super light bags, a set of five in various sizes from Kifaru, and was impressed with how light and functional they were. It made organizing my gear within the pack super easy.

I ordered the medium belt which was meant for someone with up to 34" waist. My waist is 33" so I was tempted to get the larger one. I'm glad I did not. It fit as described. The belt it unbelievably comfortable. It does not ride up or down and once set it will not move.

The pack arrived in four weeks. Everything was included in the box. I've never messed with the molle attachments so I got pretty frustrated trying to make that work. I figured it out eventually and was actually impressed with how they fit perfectly and how secure they were. It seemed like they would move and slip around but no, they did not!

I went on youtube and watched how to properly adjust the pack, which was pretty easy. Then wore it around the house a bit. It got me excited for the trip, believing I wouldn't have to worry about being uncomfortable.

I went on a solo archery elk trip last week and packed for 6 days, which I actually had enough for 8 days probably. I totally over packed, bringing in a little more food than I needed. I didn't weigh the pack but guessed it close to 50 pounds, probably a bit less.

Everything adjusts super easy on this pack and the two shining things are 1. Its comfortable. I had around 100 pounds in it on my way out and it rocked! 2. Once you put one of the straps or belts in a position, it did not move. So I was comfortable the entire time with no hot spots or pinching.

The other thing I was impressed with was how it could go from a gigantic tube that could carry all your gear, to a compressed sack with just what I needed for the day. Lots of compression straps at multiple points traveled laterally and horizontally. It functioned as intended.

The pack was definitely the MVP of the trip and made for carrying out an elk and my camp a task that was not bad at all. It took me two trips to carry out my cow. The purchase was worth it and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone who will be doing some backpack hunting.

I also asked a few questions to Kifaru customer service about the Molle attachments and a specific question about the belt. I have a very rare medical condition that causes some possible fitment issues with the belt. The emails were answered promptly with a definitive answer.

Gents, if you need a good pack, dont hesitate to go with kifaru.

Kotaman

WKR
Awesome pack. Medium waist belt is 34”-38”. Small goes up to “34. Did you go small? I’m a 37” waist and usually go Large to accommodate heavier clothes.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
Awesome pack. Medium waist belt is 34”-38”. Small goes up to “34. Did you go small? I’m a 37” waist and usually go Large to accommodate heavier clothes.
Dang I'll have to check. I think I went with t.with the small. And I'm 6'1" 220. I'll look and see if its labeled.

Vaultman

WKR
Order the medium/large if you're on the bubble. I did and it is perfect.