Kifaru Dilemma

I’ve been going back and forth for weeks now trying to decide what setup would be best. Mostly whitetail hunt on the east coast but make a couple trips each year out west for different species. Those trips could be anything from truck camping day hunts to 7 day pack ins.

Been tossing around the idea of getting the fulcrum, but then seen the Stryker/campbag/bane lid setup and really liked the looks of it as well.

I’d greatly appreciate some feedback and other pros/cons that I haven’t thought of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I've used the Nomad and Fulcrum quite a bit. Liked both systems. Just ordered a Stryker with a Camp Bag to try.

A lot of guys are bailing on the Stryker saying that it was not as slick a system as they thought it would be. I think it is going to work ok for my situation. (Mostly traveling, guided hunts)

OP
B
I've used the Nomad and Fulcrum quite a bit. Liked both systems. Just ordered a Stryker with a Camp Bag to try.

A lot of guys are bailing on the Stryker saying that it was not as slick a system as they thought it would be. I think it is going to work ok for my situation. (Mostly traveling, guided hunts)

I would say 80% of my hunts are going to be day hunts for white tail, either out of a climber or saddle. If it doesn’t work out like I imagine I’ve always got the badlands vario to use as a black hole.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider

thats the route I might go...right now I’m running cargo net with camp bag and a OGL with a medium pocket. Works great but fricken time consuming switching out the cargo net and camp bag when I say hunt away from camp hoping the Stryker cuts down some time and provides a spot for my bladder.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
The thing I like about the Stryker is how versatile it is. It's not going to be as good as the fulcrum for a 7 day hunt but you can get by it with. It's great for day hunting.

I use mine for random crap all summer such as hauling mineral and treestands

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the fulcrum and the Stryker. I've had the former for 2 years and just got the Stryker this spring.

If I could only have one bag it would be the fulcrum. My only complaint is it's "strappy" in daypack mode and it always seemed like it would take me forever to unpack and pack up glassing spots. This is why I got the Stryker and it works well for me as a small daypack that I could easily haul an animal out with (have not done so yet). I much prefer it for day hunts, but can be just a bit small when I'm carry a bunch of layers in the winter.

Quite frankly the idea of using a camp bag with the Stryker doesn't appeal to me as I think it would start moving weight further back than I would like. I haven't tried it though ,so I could very well be wrong.

Both packs loaded up with the same crap, minus the snowshoes on the fulcrum.

Attachments

• 20200424_104218.jpg
    20200424_104218.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200519_144530.jpg
    20200519_144530.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

stump06

WKR
One bag wouldn't cover that variety of trips for me. I would look at getting a fulcrum/ma deuce/hoodlum size bag and maybe a bane and Sherman. You can run the bane and Sherman on your frame for whitetails or by itself (I use a bane now for my whitetail bag) and then the bigger bag for your longer trips.

Grouseman

FNG
I’ve been going back and forth for weeks now trying to decide what setup would be best. Mostly whitetail hunt on the east coast but make a couple trips each year out west for different species. Those trips could be anything from truck camping day hunts to 7 day pack ins.

Been tossing around the idea of getting the fulcrum, but then seen the Stryker/campbag/bane lid setup and really liked the looks of it as well.

I’d greatly appreciate some feedback and other pros/cons that I haven’t thought of.

I just bought the nomad, a pro hood, grab-it, medium hip pouches for day trips and hauling meat, and a cavern for multiday trips. It's a similar setup to what I had with eberlestock, but much nicer. I really like the versatility of it. Bring both setups with me in case I need more or less space and the cavern is an awesome duffel when car camping. Also keep a drybag for clean meat storage and keeping meat and food away from bears. Cinches down between the nomad wings nicely.

OP
B
I hate these threads. Now I think I need to add a Stryker bag to my growing Kifaru collection.

Sorry...if it makes you feel any better I just ordered the Stryker and bane but seen they had another bane at the garage sale so getting a guy to go pick it up for me if it’s still there. Then I saw a muskeg for sale and thought about buying it too. Geeking out is a serious problem. If you know anyone looking for a badlands vario with the 3500, 6500, deluxe bat wings, and meat shelf I can hook them up.

I bought a stryker with the intent of using it with a dry bag and a bane for longer trips. Long story short, it sucks! Love the pack by itself for day hunts but it put the center of gravity way to far back when stacked up with the dry bag and bane. Ended up picking up a 44 mag for anything more than 1 night. Probably going to put the bane up for sale one of these days.

pc3

WKR
I bought a stryker with the intent of using it with a dry bag and a bane for longer trips. Long story short, it sucks! Love the pack by itself for day hunts but it put the center of gravity way to far back when stacked up with the dry bag and bane. Ended up picking up a 44 mag for anything more than 1 night. Probably going to put the bane up for sale one of these days.
Sounds like you have it worked out.....Ive noted with my 44 mag that I wonder if you really need a designated day pack, I think the 44 mag is a true do it all for even less than one night, I mean are you carrying that much more weight than say a 22 mag and you don't need to play tetrus on your day trip, for example even a varminting/digiscoping trip (which my son enjoys) by the time you pack;

Spotter
Tripod
Ammo
Rear Bag
Possibly a fox caller
Bino's
Snacks
Jumper/Jacket
Other odds and end's

You eat up space really quickly. The 44 Mag is pretty versatile without being a giant pack.

I am going to grab a Kifaru G2 Scout (apparently they are doing a run) for a smaller bag when just taking say bino's, ammo, snacks etc, 44 mag for most everything else and bigger trips if I get to do themdown the track I reckon I'll grab a Fulcrum or Ma Deuce, maybe get the light frame and put the 44 on that and the bigger frame on the Tac 26".

Also I love the look of the internal frame 357 mag......but really if you own a 44 mag it makes that a little redundant.

Looking at it now the 357 is available another great 3 bag combo from Kifaru would be;

g2 Scout lumbar pack
357 Mag
Fulcrum or Ma Deuce on a 26" Tac Frame

The 44 Mag is Kifaru's Malcolm in the middle back in my view.

I only own the 44 mag currently.

prm

WKR
I just used the Stryker for a week of elk hunting. I thought it worked perfectly. I packed in for 5 days. I have an OR 55l dry bag, but I also have an old Eberlestock camp bag, and I thought that worked better for the pack in/out. It is a bit wider and shallower than the 55l keeping the load in closer. Though I haven’t had an issue with the 55l. I don’t carry enough to need extra bags stuck to the back, but adding weight away from my body would be a bad idea.