Kifaru Dilemma

Finally pursuaded myself that I need to get a Kifaru hunting pack, but now I’m torn between a couple choices:

I like the Muskeg because it’s slim, decent size and water proof. Also looks nice and compact which I like

However, I keep reading that I should get a bigger pack for more value, normal for expeditions and cinched down for day hunts. So I’ve been looking at the Reckoning, as it’s pretty slim and can be cinched down to a good day pack size

The most popular Kifaru packs are Stryker XL and the 44 Mag, but I don’t like the look of either. Am I considering the wrong factors?

Would love inputs from anyone who’s gone through similar dilemmas before and found a solution. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Reckoning. It works well for me. Can fit a whole weeks worth of gear in it or cinch it up small and be almost the size of small day pack. Just my 2 cents.

OP
A
I have the Reckoning. It works well for me. Can fit a whole weeks worth of gear in it or cinch it up small and be almost the size of small day pack. Just my 2 cents.

How short can you cinch the Reckoning down to? My only concern is that it’s way too tall

Wrench

WKR
I have found that the mountain warrior can be strapped in a way that you could snug it up on a softball or have a week long load. It is now my favorite bag for 35lbs of daypack with the expectation of hauling meat out.

If you found a clean used one, dont be afraid.

OP
A
I have found that the mountain warrior can be strapped in a way that you could snug it up on a softball or have a week long load. It is now my favorite bag for 35lbs of daypack with the expectation of hauling meat out.

If you found a clean used one, dont be afraid.

It looks like a regular Kifaru pack with a dad bod All jokes aside, I can find the specs on this pack

Wrench

WKR
It looks like a regular Kifaru pack with a dad bod All jokes aside, I can find the specs on this pack

You can see that I crossed the straps over vs the side compression as designed. I added a few buckles here and there to multi purpose some of the straps.

I modded a fleece vest to quiet it down and the lid is off in this pic....but I really like the setup. 20200928_184500.jpg

OP
A
You can see that I crossed the straps over vs the side compression as designed. I added a few buckles here and there to multi purpose some of the straps.

I modded a fleece vest to quiet it down and the lid is off in this pic....but I really like the setup. View attachment 335125

Yeah it definitely looks pretty sweet. Do you know why they discontinued it?

OP
A
What are you planning on using the pack for?

I’m just starting my hunting journey, so I’m thinking saddle hunting whitetail for now, but maybe spot and stalk Elk if I have the opportunity in the future? Kifaru packs are crazy expensive, so I want to buy once and be set for life

prm

WKR
Saddle hunting whitetails to elk is wide range!

I’ve use Kifaru Reckoning, Nomad II, Stryker and Stryker XL. The Strykers are very versatile once paired with a dry bag of your choice. I cannot imagine using the Reckoning for Saddle hunting. Nor does it compress as well for day hunting.
I’ve hauled ladder stands with my Stryker, works great, and I’m sure it would organize sticks and a platform.

OP
A
Saddle hunting whitetails to elk is wide range!

I’ve use Kifaru Reckoning, Nomad II, Stryker and Stryker XL. The Strykers are very versatile once paired with a dry bag of your choice. I cannot imagine using the Reckoning for Saddle hunting. Nor does it compress as well for day hunting.
I’ve hauled ladder stands with my Stryker, works great, and I’m sure it would organize sticks and a platform.

Do you prefer the Styler Cargo Panel or the Stryker XL? I’m thinking about using Wild Edge Stepps instead of a platform and I’m also using DRT to climb, so I might need slightly more bag space for the extra ropes and WE stepps. And how do you use Stryker system for Elk hunting?

JeremiahH

WKR
If you are just starting out you may not want to bomb down all new and be in over $700 to buy one time and be done without trying a couple variations and learning what you like and don't like. We are all different how we like straps and pockets and there are hundreds of combinations that work.
buying used kifaru gear and selling used kifaru gear is cool because usually you are only out shipping as this stuff holds its value well and for good reason.

Here is a bikini frame I picked up and a used tahr bag with a spotting scope pocket. I know it doesn't all match but sometimes that doesn't bother me much. I have some stuff in the bag and pockets to show some dimension. My saddle gear is in the main bag. Two lone wolf short sticks on the left side of pack and one long Hawk stick with top mount platform on the right side. Not selling you on this combo but there are many bags and combos capable of what you want.

If it was me I wouldn't worry too much about a bomber i.e 7000 ci bag if you don't know if and when you are gonna do an expedition hunt. Plenty of 4000 ci and 5000 ci set ups are very capable combos.
d0aff2609ff27ad8faee50e8c83a1c31.jpg
a2992737e698289fca38eff8af2f4805.jpg
57ddeec3b859363d46792e2b2010c8aa.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A
If you are just starting out you may not want to bomb down all new and be in over $700 to buy one time and be done without trying a couple variations and learning what you like and don't like. We are all different how we like straps and pockets and there are hundreds of combinations that work.
buying used kifaru gear and selling used kifaru gear is cool because usually you are only out shipping as this stuff holds its value well and for good reason.

Here is a bikini frame I picked up and a used tahr bag with a spotting scope pocket. I know it doesn't all match but sometimes that doesn't bother me much. I have some stuff in the bag and pockets to show some dimension. My saddle gear is in the main bag. Two lone wolf short sticks on the left side of pack and one long Hawk stick with top mount platform on the right side. Not selling you on this combo but there are many bags and combos capable of what you want.

If it was me I wouldn't worry too much about a bomber i.e 7000 ci bag if you don't know if and when you are gonna do an expedition hunt. Plenty of 4000 ci and 5000 ci set ups are very capable combos.
d0aff2609ff27ad8faee50e8c83a1c31.jpg
a2992737e698289fca38eff8af2f4805.jpg
57ddeec3b859363d46792e2b2010c8aa.jpg

All of the second hand Kifaru stuff are almost the same price as new ones, so I figured I will just get them from the website haha. But you are right, I should probably just start out with a smaller pack for the time being

prm

WKR
Do you prefer the Styler Cargo Panel or the Stryker XL? I’m thinking about using Wild Edge Stepps instead of a platform and I’m also using DRT to climb, so I might need slightly more bag space for the extra ropes and WE stepps. And how do you use Stryker system for Elk hunting?

For elk hunting I put all my day hunt stuff (first aid, purifier, snacks, kill kit, rain jacket, etc.) in the bag, and all my camp in an OR 55L dry bag. Hike in, pull out OR bag, cinch down straps and I’m ready to hunt. I absolutely love that system. I get an assist from horses on some hunts and with system I simply give them the dry bag and I keep the basics with me for the hike in. Lots of ways to skin the cat, but this is the best for me so far.
I don’t have a major preference between the Stryker and the XL version. Slight edge to XL perhaps for cold hunts given a little extra room to carry warm gear during the day.

zacattack

WKR
All of the second hand Kifaru stuff are almost the same price as new ones, so I figured I will just get them from the website haha. But you are right, I should probably just start out with a smaller pack for the time being

One of the beauties of kifaru is that’s it’s completely modular. You’d be surprised at how much crap you can carry with just a frame, grab it or Sherman and some compression straps. You can also use all of that if you get a larger pack. If you don’t want to go all in at first and want to just buy a piece or two at a time to figure out what works best for you.

Mountain Warrior, Hoodlum, 44 Mag, Reckoning (on Sale right now), Muskeg, lots of options! Most Kifaru models cinch down great for day hunting. Uncle got a Stryker XL and tried that out this year with a camp bag where the meat shelf goes, he likes that better then his EMR 2 (just so many straps and buckles) but it is heavier with all the pouches then the EMR 2.

I’d buy a new and keep an eye out for sales, used ones just aren’t worth it IMO for 70-90% the cost of a new one.

KIFARU FOR LIFE.