Kifaru Dominating the Hunting Market

What is it about Kifaru that makes them numeral uno? For me, prior to buying my first Kifaru, I was buying Chinese junk that broke down during the most crucial part of my hunts. Zippers breaking sucked. But the worst part was a shoulder strap breaking while hauling meat.

I bought my first Kifaru in 2013. That pack has hauled meat every year. Both mine, and or my buddies. It's hauled camp every year.

I recently retired the Bikini frame and am paying it forward to a great American. But I am keeping the bag and put it on a new frame. I really think this bag will last longer than my hunting career will.

There are several things or reasons that make Kifaru packs great IMO. But I won't get into that. I'm interested to hear what/why you think makes Kifaru packs great and why they are dominating the hunting scene.

Is it the PR? CS? The quality? The reviews? The versatility? Packability? The test of time? Fit n finish? No frills? Durability? What you see is what you get? Technology?

What makes Kifaru the leader in a very competitive market?

Squirrels

WKR
I think for a lot of people Kifaru checks a lot of the boxes you mentioned. There are couple other great pack manufactures out there. They make a great product but in the end the frame has to fit you or it's a lost cause. One thing I'd like to add is that they are 100% USA made, that include materials, all the way to thread. Berry compliant means they must be. I know Mystery Ranch makes some Berry compliant stuff, not sure on the other big names. As far as price the MR stuff that is Berry compliant cost are right up there with Kifaru.

I have seen very few people with Kifaru packs in the mountains in MT and WY but you’d swear from this forum that they are everywhere. To me, it’s because they have a good product and have done an even better job hyping the brand. From serious hunters, to preppers, to moms basement dwellers who blow their paychecks on their 5th unused Kifaru bag, dudes are sold on the branding. Aron is a very relatable dude who puts out a no bullshit vibe and it’s hard not to want to get behind a company he’s running.

Last edited:
What are you basing the "dominating" on? I dont think I have ever ran into another person with a Kifaru. They are popular on this forum but even here I see just as many people talking about their Exo or SG and a few more brands.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They make great gear, but back away from the kool aid stand. I can count on one hand the number of Kifaru packs I've seen on other hunter's backs in the past 5 years between Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. They, like other high end pack makers, cater to a niche market. Let's face it, Badlands, Horn Hunter, and Eberlestock packs outnumber high end packs about 100/1 in real world sales and number in circulation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I own a Berry compliant MR and a Kifaru daypack. I have never met another person with a Kifaru in person.
I know plenty of guys with US made MR, EXO and SO packs, definitely not dominating (but they should).

DavePwns

WKR
There are proabbly a bunch if things that makes them "alpha" IMO
1. Snyder is a killing machine, always seems to get it done and has an obsurd time/experience in the field and has a very entertaining podcast.
2. Snyder is a gear junkie, constantly testing and comparing gear with honest opinions, so people trust his gear decisions.
3. Their packs are very comfortable under load.
4. Their main focus seems to be durability and reliability, and it has paid off
5. A cool logo 🦏😎

marktole

WKR
Agreed, only a certain type of person is willing to pay $800+ for a backpack for a hobby. I think I’ve ran into less than a handful of people that have them. Interestingly enough though, I have 4 friends who all have them, which is more people than I’ve ran into “in the wild” with them.

1. They are built extremely well.
2. Kifaru staff is great to deal with lead by Aron.
3. 100% made in USA
4. You can get tarps and sleeping bags as well.
5. Patrick was one of the original innovators of backpack hunting and such, but Aron took them to the next level in terms of utility and brand recognition.

wysongdog

WKR
I'm not a backpacker I love hunting on my ponies. Listening to Aaron's podcasts are very entertaining and informative, and that's going to help sales. That will probably send me in that direction if I decide to get a top end pack. And the 100% American made will seal the deal for me.

brsnow

WKR
I have never seen one in the Colorado mountains during elk seasons, but they do have nice stuff. Do not know who Snyder is.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Aside from many great reasons, Ultimately Kifaru packs outlast, out load carry any other pack.
Started with SpikeCamp, Timberline, sold for darn near paid price and
Now using; TailGunner, Reckoning & 22 Mag 2nd Gen, all in RG color.

have a new condition 14’R-Fusion, used as day-tree stand pack a couple times but will be selling it this summer...and no less than 80% paid price

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I think a big part of it is Aron and Frank. Within the last week they've both responded to questions I've sent them on IG and when I emailed customer service regarding a ship date the response came from Frank.

They're real dudes who take the time to help people out. That's pretty rare nowadays

OP
trophyhill
I've never ran into anyone in CO or NM with a Kifaru in the Backcountry either. Guess I'd have to run into another human first. Funny how I hear how overcrowded CO is, yet I always seem to be the only one around where I've hunted. If you guys are running into a bunch of hunters and paying attention to what kind of packs they're running, you're hunting in the wrong places ;)

On the other hand, I know at least a dozen serious hunters who own a Kifaru.......

OP
trophyhill
Aside from many great reasons, Ultimately Kifaru packs outlast, out load carry any other pack.
Started with SpikeCamp, Timberline, sold for darn near paid price and
Now using; TailGunner, Reckoning & 22 Mag 2nd Gen, all in RG color.

have a new condition 14’R-Fusion, used as day-tree stand pack a couple times but will be selling it this summer...and no less than 80% paid price

Great point. They do hold their value. I paid a pretty penny for a never been used DT1 and had to buy another frame because of it recently ;)

Jimss

WKR
For me it's durability and comfort hauling extreme loads. It's also possible to customize your Kifaru with different bags and accessories. Kifaru bags and frames are extremely light for the capability to haul 100+ lb loads. There is a big following for Stone Glacier but unfortunately they don't offer camo patterns. That was the big deal breaker for me. MR makes a great product but when I last checked they were super heavy.

Kifaru packs and bags are so comfortable and relatively light that I've gotten to the point where I'd rather use them while scouting and day hunting rather than a daypack that is borderline uncomfortable for long days with 25 to 30ish lb loads. I can cinch down the larger bag and be prepared if I happen to need to pack out a hefty load on my first trip out.

prm

WKR
1) Very robust
2) Carries weight exceptionally well for me
3) Variety of designs to meet needs
4) Made in USA

I have no idea what their share if the market is so can’t comment on that aspect. There are also other very good packs out there and since I haven’t tried them all there might even be a better pack, who knows. But I have gear to serve a purpose and with my Kifaru pack I know it will allow me to haul as much meat out as I am capable, and I have no concern for durability. The thing is bombproof. Now, with the Stryker they have a pack that matches what I want in a pack. It will haul a large volume when hiking to camp, slim down for hunting, haul all the meat I want, then haul all camp out.