Kifaru Dominating the Hunting Market

OP
trophyhill
This is an extremely biased claim. The only way this statement can be considered valid, is by statistical data and not by a fanboy’s opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now how do you figure that? 3 broken packs in 5 years. The price combined for those 3 packs that couldn't handle the rigors of a couple elk hunts? About the same as it woulda cost me to buy a "high end" pack. Does it matter if it was a Badlands?or Eberly? Or Sitka? Or Cabela's? Or HH? Or some other pack I'd steer clear of "knowing now what I didn't know then"?

Heres the cool part. This 1 Kifaru has outlasted and out performed the 3 packs I started out with combined and surpassed, and hauled 4 or 5 x the amount of meat and various other loads. As well as many mucho scouting trips putting countless miles on with camp on my back.

Now why would anyone in their right mind recommend anything else with the kind of success and opportunity I've had with this pack? The volume of abuse I've put this pack thru and it's still going strong, is all the proof I need. I am not an ounce counter. Although between 50 and 60 lbs including my pack is the norm for a pack in hunt. I could leave a couple items at the truck and lighten the load poquito. But why? My current set up weighs in at 6 lbs empty. If it ain't broke..........

;)

NUGGET

WKR
I had some other backpacks and used badlands for a year or two and had some painful packouts. I then found Kifaru packs. Back then they were made in only black color and they had 3 different packs to choose from. I bought a used one to start. I was blown away by the comfort with heavy loads.

I also got into their shelters. A wood heated shelter is pretty neat.
Back then it was like a secret cult. If you saw someone that used a Kifaru pack it seemed rare and you knew that guy knew his stuff ha.

fast forward a few yearsto when Aron joined and got Patrick to finally make a pack with pockets! And to do differnt colors. Kifaru really blew up because of that. Now days a lot of people use Kifaru packs and I see guys with hats and stickers all over. Aron really helped make the secret pack cult known to a bigger audience.

I will always be a Kifaru fan. Their customer service is second to none. American made product and backed by a lifetime warranty! You can’t beat that and oh yea the comfort.
Hipster backpack hunter. Oh my! Pure gold!!

RCB

WKR
Yo OP: how about you set up a poll that asks the forum which packs we all use? Would be interesting to see the results.

OP
trophyhill
Yo OP: how about you set up a poll that asks the forum which packs we all use? Would be interesting to see the results.

I've already started a another thread on that subject minus the poll. Feel free to chime in there ;)

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
It's good stuff no doubt about that. It's hard to convince your average guy that he should spend 700+ bucks on a pack. Most people in my opinion come to the market for a very specific reason. Seems that kifaru does a dang good job of being at the forefront of the market. With that being said I am going into my third season with kifaru and I have very little to complain about. No one product can be great at everything you need it to do. I will have to say that the minor annoyances with Kifaru will make me interested in another top brand. The kifaru will be in my kit from now on for sure.

KurtR

WKR
You know if people would look at what they really spend money on is 700 that much?How much to eat out or to go drinking. Back when i chewed copenhagen i spent more than that in a year (if the covid is the end of the world i start chewing again right now). Then cost it out if you have that back just for five years it is only 140.00 a year or break it down more . Its only 11.67 per month thats 3 energy drinks. People are scoff at spending money once in a big chunk but dont blink a eye nickel and dimeing them selves. i would be money ahead if i just saved a little longer and bought quality gear in general vs not having patience and buying right now.

Guys guys......you are telling me to back away from the koolaide, and your argument is because you aren't seeing Kifaru packs on other hunters? Are you serious? Again, I am getting off the roads and not seeing other hunters accept maybe on very rare occasion. I just don't know anyone who goes around looking for and at what other hunters have on their backs. Are you guys killing anything out there? Most of these guys you are running into are probably rookie western hunters from back east who don't know any better but are finding out. Thus the reason they come here and ask about this pack or that pack. I'm trying to help shorten the learning curve so they can concentrate on killing stuff ;)

Just wondering what else you have found that dominates. Not wanting to waste anymore money, or lengthen the learning curve.

RCB

WKR
I've already started a another thread on that subject minus the poll. Feel free to chime in there ;)
I saw the other thread. I’m talking about an actual poll, where people click on which backpack they use, and we see the total counts.

I have had Kuiu, Kifaru and Stone Glacier. Kifaru was most comfortable with heavy loads, but the pack was bulky and just didn't have the right lay out for my style of hunting. The Kuiu was great layout, light weight, not bulky, but wasn't very comfortable over 50lbs. My stone glacier meets everything in the middle. Comfortable with heavy weights, good layout, not overly bulky or heavy.

In my travels to Colorado elk hunting and Alaska deer hunting, I have never seen another Kifaru pack. Lots of Kuiu, lots of stone glaciers, some Exo, and a pile of other types, mostly Keltys or cabelas frame packs. Met a guy on the trail head in Colorado one year hauling his mule deer out in a Jansport.

My trip to Colorado was similar. Met a successful guy and he was using and eberlestock, a guy that came to help him pack it out had a MR Metcalf. We met 3 guys at a trailhead and one had an aluminum frame pack and the other two had I believe badlands day packs.

My son and I were using MR packs but we went with the Glacier instead of the hunting specific to save some money but still be able to carry a heavy load but if we were successful we would be loading it in the pack since it didn’t have a meat shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I love Kifaru because it fits me. But Kifaru packs don't fit some people. Like with most things I would highly suggest you try several brands before piping off about what is best.

Where Kifaru(Patrick) really deserves credit is being one of the first hunting companies that were direct to consumer, way back in 1997. Lots of companies like to say they started that trend.....

2rocky

WKR
20060818185735.jpg

Folks packed a hell of a lot of stuff before there were pack companies...

the_klondike_gold_rush_2.jpg

As for durability complaints, I think back to a farm store owner as I came in in the middle of the week to get a new irrigation shovel. I was grumbling about how the damn shovel handles didn't hold up and he dryly replied " Don't take a very smart man to break a shovel handle does it?"

Some of you Doth protest too much.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
View attachment 181342

Folks packed a hell of a lot of stuff before there were pack companies...

View attachment 181343

As for durability complaints, I think back to a farm store owner as I came in in the middle of the week to get a new irrigation shovel. I was grumbling about how the damn shovel handles didn't hold up and he dryly replied " Don't take a very smart man to break a shovel handle does it?"

Some of you Doth protest too much.

Yeah, but the guy in the top photo is 25 years old. HAHA

Hipster backpack hunter. Oh my! Pure gold!!

Here’s a few animals I’ve killed. All public land do it yourself. Been using Kifaru for years. Guess that makes me a hipster.

Check out my 174” Colorado shiras moose I killed. :).Hipsters must be good hunters I guess

Attachments

• 7549655E-EF4A-49CD-B056-09341A17934B.jpeg
    7549655E-EF4A-49CD-B056-09341A17934B.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 02743EB7-4523-456C-B6B2-C0D59813B977.jpeg
    02743EB7-4523-456C-B6B2-C0D59813B977.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 136
  • C6726C29-7E2E-4657-BBF6-BD7F045C7F27.jpeg
    C6726C29-7E2E-4657-BBF6-BD7F045C7F27.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 1ADC01D5-174B-4F00-B0C6-1A55A8FB3E93.jpeg
    1ADC01D5-174B-4F00-B0C6-1A55A8FB3E93.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 8DBA3230-049F-4CF3-B1E8-96D67199471E.jpeg
    8DBA3230-049F-4CF3-B1E8-96D67199471E.jpeg
    524 KB · Views: 137
  • 3375C0C6-CE6C-441C-B08E-50A90973C998.jpeg
    3375C0C6-CE6C-441C-B08E-50A90973C998.jpeg
    965.9 KB · Views: 137

Randle

WKR
.Great pictures and animals Justin, Now take off the hat and show us the mullot haha

OP
trophyhill
Just wondering what else you have found that dominates. Not wanting to waste anymore money, or lengthen the learning curve.

Buy a Bowtech, and I prefer Ruger Firearms. I would invest in anything Elknut Outdoors, Elk101, Phelps Gamecalls and Carlton calls. I can lead a horse to water. The rest is on you. ;)