Kifaru Doobie & Doobie Express

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience using the Woobie /Doobie or Woobie/Doobie Express?

I want to use both with my Thermarest Z-Lite and Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy. The Doobie Express would replace my Kuiu Spindrift Jacket, act as a pillow in warmer weather or add another layer of insulation during cold temperatures. The standard Doobie would replace my 0 degree sleeping bag (I get colder easier than the average person) and could add extra warmth when glassing on cold mornings or evenings.

What are your thoughts?

Thank You,

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a doobie to sleep with 3 season. I would not replace it for my 0 degree bag. I sleep very warm, and with my doobie I am comfy down into the 20's with a bivy. Keep in mind I sleep very warm.

When it's real cold, under 20 degrees. I take my marmot lithium bag that I don't think I could ever get cold in (would like to get a zero degree slik to replace it eventually)

The doobie is made of the same weight insulation as a 20deg slik I believe. A doobie express would be warm! Much more so than the spindrift.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
The Spindrift isn't very warm. I was hoping for more warmth out of it. I'll at least switch from the Kuiu Spindrift to the Kifaru Doobie Express. I'll hold off on the standard Doobie, until I get a feel for its level of performance.

Thank You,

Walker6

FNG
I used a woobie express during archery season in August in co this year. It was my pillow, I'd throw it on in the morning when I got out of then tent and had breakfast/coffee, and I kept it in my daypack to use as a cushion at lunch and around camp at night. I loved it. I only used it once as a warmth layer while hunting, as I was usually moving enough to stay warm, but it's light enough (17oz) to have in the pack just in case.

I think a doobie express could definitely replace a few other pieces for you. A guy on another forum weighed his and I want to say it was only 4-5 oz heavier than a woobie express. I may get one.

Not trying to hi jack te thread but I am considering a kifaru woobie express anyone have one or have any experience with one? My thought is I sleep in a 30 degree bag, and use a sea to summit reactor. My thought was I could use the woobies express to replace my jacket and my reactor. If I get cold at night I could just wrap up in the woobie inside my existing sleeping bag. Thoughts, will this work?

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
No, your not jacking my thread. Your looking for the same answer as I am for the most part and it seems like the woobie or doobie express may have the potential to accomplish both. Hope to hear more responses.

Walker6

FNG
I just tried the woobie express and regular woobie on for fit as liners inside my kifaru slick 20 bag (long/wide). I think either would work great as a temp range booster. With the woobie express, I tucked my feet into the stuff sack at one end and then climbed into the bag. This method made it easier to keep things from getting wadded up. The regular woobie, without velcro and buckles, was more comfortable once straightened out inside the bag- probably warmer too, due to the extra material. The woobie express is long enough to reach from my toes to my chin when used as a blanket (I'm 6'2"). As far as additional warmth, I'd have to think either woobie would add a least the 15 degree boost that the sea to summit reactor advertises.

Walker6

FNG
Lawnboi, I went ahead and tried the woobie express on under a fairly snug fitting Columbia rain jacket that I have and it actually kinda worked. It stuck out about 6-8" at the bottom, but I just tucked it up under the jacket (waist length) and I think it would stay there if I cinched the drawstring on the jacket. The woobie compressed enough to feel like a puffy vest under the jacket. I think you'd lose some of the utility by not having the poncho setup, but it's definitely doable.

wetzel

FNG
Woobie

Hey, I have had a woobie for about a year and LOVE it. It is so light, warm, and comfortable. I am not a warm sleeper. I have slept in a military patrol bag, no tent or bivy with the woobie inside the bag comfortably in the 20's. I was wearing waffle long johns and socks. I used it this year as a wrap up while glassing and it was so comfortable, though a pain in the wind or when I had to use both hands. For this purpose I am debating on buying a doobie express. I bought the HPG mountain serape but am considering returning it. The workmanship is great! But it weighs 2.5 pounds, and the material is, well it just isn't the woobie's amazing material!!! I wish there was a blend of the mountain serape's features built with the woobie's materials.