Kifaru Doobie Express vs. Hillpeople Gear Mountain Serape vs. ?

Wrongside

WKR
I'm looking at adding one of these to my setup. For sleeping in summer/early fall, temp booster w/ a sleeping bag later, but mainly for glassing in the cold. With windchills in the -20 & 30s, it's already getting hard to stay put and watch on the ridges around here...

Any input from guys who've owned one or the other? Or, ideally, both? Any other suggestions or similar options out there? I'm leaning toward the HPG for the extra length and hood, at the moment, but looking forward to any opinions/suggestions.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering getting one or the other as well. I mostly want one for glassing/sitting in the cold and secondarily to boost my sleep system. I like the length of the HPG Serape but I don't like the 2.5 lbs. I find the 1lb of the Woobie Express and the 1.4 lbs of the Doobie Express to be much more palatable. I'm strongly leaning toward the Woobie Express. My legs seem to do ok. The place I need the extra warmth is on my upper body.

As far as supplementing my sleep system I really only need a blanket to go on top and the Woobie express should work fine. If the HPG Serape weighed 1.5 lbs (as the first prototype did) then the decision would be a lot harder.

Lawnboi

WKR
you guys got my gears turning now from your last thread. I am now looking at the woobie express to use as an insulation layer 4 season along with using it as my sleeping system with a bivy for 2.5 season camping. Man that would be nice to cut almost 2lbs off my pack weight right there leaving my doobie and puffy layer at home.

OP
W

Wrongside

WKR
If the HPG Serape weighed 1.5 lbs (as the first prototype did) then the decision would be a lot harder.
Yeah, the weight difference has me waffling. I'd like leg and foot coverage though....

Shrek

WKR
I was thinking about them also. After thinking about it, I think the HPG serape is better for glassing or on stand and much better as a slepping bag liner. In most cases thats all it would be used for . It would come off if I am humping it up. The woobie express is shorter and and sans hood and would be better suited for moving. For most of us it would be used for glassing and sleeping and the hpg serape would be better suited despite the extra 1 1/4 lb.

wetzel

FNG
I just sent a mountain serape back after a hard struggle of a decision (still wonder if I did the right thing). Some of my observations. The serape is big, easily covering your legs while sitting. The hood is nice, though kinda big. The workmanship was great. The reasons I sent it back; completely un scientific but the woobie appeared to warm me up quicker, it is really big when worn, so I just couldn't see myself wearing it on the move (I usually move with very minimal layers on anyway though, so kinda a non issue), It isn't windproof like my woobie is, I really like the amazing feel of the woobie material (the serape doesn't compare in this department), with the express I can make it work as a supplement to my sleep system (maybe not as stand alone as the serape but still doable), and last but not least, a pound or more difference from the express. I am going to order an express to check it out, but might end up sending it back and getting another serape.

Shrek

WKR
I was thinking of going with a 40* slickbag instead of a 20* bag and counting on the serape to add the rest on colder nights. I would get back about 11oz but again I could get more savings with the woobie. Wish Kifaru would make a serape or HPG use a comparable material.

I have a slick 20 and use a sea to summit reactor to add warmth when using it for late season or spring backpacking hunts. I am thinking of getting a woobie express and doing away with my reactor and my jacket. It's so hard to pull the trigger on one of these things without putting your hands on one and trying it on. I am a little concerned, I think it will work well when glassing or using my spotting scope for long periods. But looks a little bulky If I needed to use it setting in a wallow bow hunting. Has any of you guys used one while bow hunting?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm thinking the 20 oz for a Kuiu Quix top and bottom would be much more functional for both boosting your sleeping system and stopped to glass in colder temps.

Lawnboi

WKR
I just ordered a woobie express. Ill use it as both my insulating layer and to sleep in with a bivy when temps allow.

I almost ordered the quix down as well but ended up with the woobie because of price, the quix down pieces are well over twice as expensive.

I was going to originally just order a woobie to use with a bivy as a sleeping bag like i do with my doobie right now. But it seems like the woobie express will add a good bit more versatility for earlier season hunts.

Now i can cut my insulating layer out, that saves me 10oz right there
Next i can cut my doobie which saves me 2lb 2oz
then add the 16oz of the woobie express

1lb 12 oz and a heck of alot of pack room saved right there.

Of course this is as long as the temperature allows. I know i can get into the upper 20's with my doobie without a bivy. With a bivy i see no reason i cant take the woobie into the same temp range.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wrongside

WKR
I'm thinking the 20 oz for a Kuiu Quix top and bottom would be much more functional for both boosting your sleeping system and stopped to glass in colder temps.

I'd been considering that option as well, Luke. A couple of things had me hesitating on that option though, one is the cost... The other is how do you guys running puffy pants/jackets for glassing keep your feet warm? Puffy Booties? :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nope, just leave the hiking boots on, though we do have puffy booties we take on some winter trips if just glassin the boots stay on.

$450 is a pile of money, but I think its more functional than a Serape with no other puffy clothing for glassing. Plus a coat/pant setup will seal ya up better than a serape as well, plus the hood is a big deal for me.

wetzel

FNG
So with that set-up you can use it for everything from glassing to sleeping. How tough is the outer fabric?

Lawnboi

WKR
Just got my WX. Awsome! absolutly perfect. Im small enough to where i can use it for sleeping in with a bivy easily. And being small and short, i can sit on the ground, cover my entire body and suck my arms in to glass

Multicam looks awsome as well.

Worth the money I think. Cant wait to get some good use out of it.

OP
W

Wrongside

WKR
Nope, just leave the hiking boots on, though we do have puffy booties we take on some winter trips if just glassin the boots stay on.

$450 is a pile of money, but I think its more functional than a Serape with no other puffy clothing for glassing. Plus a coat/pant setup will seal ya up better than a serape as well, plus the hood is a big deal for me.
Yeah, I'm definitely a hood guy! That's one thing that I liked about the HPG MS.

If I end up going the puffy pants/jacket route I'd have to come up with something for my feet. You Alaskans must have tougher/warmer feet than us Canucks!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah, I'm definitely a hood guy! That's one thing that I liked about the HPG MS.

If I end up going the puffy pants/jacket route I'd have to come up with something for my feet. You Alaskans must have tougher/warmer feet than us Canucks!

Nah we just sleep in our boots with socks on when we bivy out.