Kifaru DT3

How many cubic inches make up the main center section of the pack? In other words, how many CI of the 4000 are you losing in the vertical side pockets and 2 horizontal pockets?

OP
T
Ok, so it is essentially a spike camp legacy w/ extra pockets but designed for the duplex frame?

I have the DT3 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! It is a bit taller by a few hundred cui than the T3 so it fits on the frame. I have 2 medium pockets on each side of the bag and a few small pockets on the belt. To be truthful the main bag held a lot more than I initially thought it would. Is it a week long pack, no. But I can easly get 3 full days of gear with room for a deer or two with my grab-it. I also just purchased a 2000cui ultralite Bag (5.5oz) that I can attach to my DT3. It is made by Hills People gear. It is extremely well made, super light and cand hold enough clothing to last me 5 days. Best thing is it was on sale for $45. Something like this from Kifaru would have been $100++++. I plan on doing some winter snowshoeing camping and mighth need the extra cui for winter cloths.

KMT

WKR
I have the DT3. The duplex system is awesome. I'm not sure wht the bag size is, though. Kifaru's website has the entire bag at 3700 or 4000, depending on which spec sheet shows up. I think the external pockets are around 1500-1600. Based on those numbers, the main compartment could be anywhere between 2100and 2500. The main compartment holds a quite a bit of gear. If I were to redesign the bag, I would make the mouth larger. It's difficult to squeeze bulky items into the toploading pack because you lose some size because the side attached to the duplex frame is flat. This makes the mouth narrow. Imaging a circle that has been flattened on one side.

edg1967

WKR
I have the DT3. The duplex system is awesome. I'm not sure wht the bag size is, though. Kifaru's website has the entire bag at 3700 or 4000, depending on which spec sheet shows up. I think the external pockets are around 1500-1600. Based on those numbers, the main compartment could be anywhere between 2100and 2500. The main compartment holds a quite a bit of gear. If I were to redesign the bag, I would make the mouth larger. It's difficult to squeeze bulky items into the toploading pack because you lose some size because the side attached to the duplex frame is flat. This makes the mouth narrow. Imaging a circle that has been flattened on one side.

I would second these comments. I can pack mine with about three days worth of gear if I strap extra clothes on the outside of the bag using my Cargo Panel and a OR dry-bag. The top is a little small and the pack would be aided in having a zippered sleeping bag compartment IMO. These are minor drawbacks as far as I'm concerned and I love the bag.

OP
T
It's tough to have cake and eat it too-I'd like to have the bottom access in the size of the dt3.