Kifaru Duplex Frame Mods

I have one of the early Duplex frames. I got the EMR about 15 years ago and have used the frame alone 10 times more than the frame and pack together.

That frame is one of the best pieces of gear I've ever bought.

I've looked enviously at the newer versions, mainly because of the increased attachment options. But I always seem to find other things to spend the money on.

One evening - a very exciting evening you'll agree - I sat and pondered my Duplex frame. I wondered how they sewed through it. A super heavy duty sewing machine? Drilled through the frame sheet first?

I had the thought that maybe I could slip a needle through the needle holes? Yes. Not too difficult.
Could I get a needle through the frame sheet? Yes! And that wasn't too difficult either!

So that opened up the possibility of modifying it.

I mainly wanted loops on either side at the top. But there were also two loops on either side I wanted to add at the bottom. I used the loops at the bottom for the cargo chair, and the Delta straps before, but they weren't optimal. The bottom ones were sewn through fabric, so they were fairly easy.

You can make out the additions I made by the slightly lighter shade of green.

I did it all with regular needles by hand. At the top I pushed the needle through with my Leatherman pliers. Snapped 3 needles in the process, but worth it to me.

ZDR

WKR
Well done! I was setting up my duplex frame and Tahr bag yesterday and was thinking there should be more attachment points.
ALso, there are some points I cannot figure out what they are for...maybe a different bag than I have.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
You have some talent!

Please keep posting your work...all of it!!