Kifaru duplex Frame

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have issues with the Kifaru duplex frame bending / barreling in shape when loads are strapped down tight, which causes the center portion of the pack to rub against the center of their back / spine. I’m wondering if there is a modification to make the frame so it won’t bend so much. Thanks for any info

WoodBow

WKR
I have never had that issue. Curious what you are having to strap so tight as to barrel the frame. I have had 100# loads on mine with no issues. You could rig some sections of carbon arrow crosswise on the frame somehow and it would definitely add some rigidity to prevent barrelling.

JNDEER

WKR
the original duplex frame? Think this was a well documented issue for some users. I have it when training with large sand/concrete bags. Unsuccessful multiple overnight outings i never had the problem, just with training as if i was carrying a large elk quarter or deboned two quarters. This is why they came out with the Lite series to fix this existing problem for some.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure it's a duplex frame? Maybe with a bikini frame.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
It’s the hunter duplex frame. I spoke with Kifaru they askef me to send it back so that they could see it first hand

mt100gr.

WKR
My hunter duplex frame with the 1/16 inch HDPE frame sheet barrels if I strap on anything cylindrical. ....think tube sand. I rigged some carbon arrows across mine with p cord, just like i did when I owned a bikini frame some years ago. It doesn't barrel at all now.

Part of the reason I think this model does this and the earlier, original duplex frames do not (in addition to a thinner frame sheet) is because the tab loops pull from the very edge of the frame. The first heavy duty duplex frame I owned had the tab loops set in from the edge and sewn into the material in the 'track' for the frame stay. I'm not sure how they're building them now but I do recall this issue coming up a few years back when kifaru first offered the "ultralight" hunter frame with carbon arrow stays.
20181205_060216.jpg

Last edited:

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had this problem or heard about this problem with that frame.
I’ve too have had up to 100# loads on that frame and never found it necessary to wrench a load down so tight that it would barrel the frame.
Please post Kifaru’s finding if you send it back to them. I’m sure they will take care of you if there is a defect in the frame.

If you have the bottom of the load properly supported (grab it or inside the bag) there’s no need to wrench the horizontal straps down to cause barreling.

OP
R

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
When you can bend it with one hand and it looks like a taco shell there is a problem

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I sent mine to native textiles and they sewed in a section of carbon arrow a third of the way from the top for a cross stay. It was fast, cost like $40 and works well. For me it barreled when I put a bone-in elk quarter on the frame. The bottom of the frame is full of the meat and the top portion isn't "full" because the shank has much less meat on it.

Gobbler

FNG
My hunter duplex frame with the 1/16 inch HDPE frame sheet barrels if I strap on anything cylindrical. ....think tube sand. I rigged some carbon arrows across mine with p cord, just like i did when I owned a bikini frame some years ago. It doesn't barrel at all now.

Part of the reason I think this model does this and the earlier, original duplex frames do not (in addition to a thinner frame sheet) is because the tab loops pull from the very edge of the frame. The first heavy duty duplex frame I owned had the tab loops set in from the edge and sewn into the material in the 'track' for the frame stay. I'm not sure how they're building them now but I do recall this issue coming up a few years back when kifaru first offered the "ultralight" hunter frame with carbon arrow stays.
View attachment 89349

interesting knot. What holds the upper brace in place is it just pressure the cordage applies against the expanding width of the HDPE? And is it stable without wrapping the outer ends or does it have some play to it? thanks

mt100gr.

WKR
interesting knot. What holds the upper brace in place is it just pressure the cordage applies against the expanding width of the HDPE? And is it stable without wrapping the outer ends or does it have some play to it? thanks
The knot has a lot to do with having an abundance of p-cord :) but it ended up allowing me to "pulley" the two stays together and use some leverage to secure them rather than tying them in individually.

The top stay has the cord threaded through the arrow shaft and wrapped around the other side of the frame and through the bottom loop of the adjustable load lifter angles. With the shaft cut just a bit wider than the frame at that point, the cord is only pulling against the ends of the arrow shafts and is very snug in place.

For the lower stay, I pushed the loop of cord through the flat-sewn webbing on the frame sheet and put that arrow stay thru the loop. When the cord is pulled tight, the arrow pulls against that webbing. Both cross stays are very solid in place with the extra cord pulling them tight into their attachments.
Screenshot_2019-03-01-15-12-07-1.png

Gobbler

FNG
The knot has a lot to do with having an abundance of p-cord :) but it ended up allowing me to "pulley" the two stays together and use some leverage to secure them rather than tying them in individually.

The top stay has the cord threaded through the arrow shaft and wrapped around the other side of the frame and through the bottom loop of the adjustable load lifter angles. With the shaft cut just a bit wider than the frame at that point, the cord is only pulling against the ends of the arrow shafts and is very snug in place.

For the lower stay, I pushed the loop of cord through the flat-sewn webbing on the frame sheet and put that arrow stay thru the loop. When the cord is pulled tight, the arrow pulls against that webbing. Both cross stays are very solid in place with the extra cord pulling them tight into their attachments.
View attachment 90391
thanks that's well designed

sr80

WKR
I had that problem with anytime i loaded up my hunter frame, sent mine to native textiles as well and he fixed it up good.

5ZUiE9j.jpg

ElEdrtX.jpg